PDA

View Full Version : questions about the TNT diet and HIIT

Herandi
08-05-2008, 05:41 AM
hey guys. few questions:

i'm thinking of starting the TNT diet as i want to lose some fat, but couldn't find much information about it with regards to cardio. I want to start doing HIIT in the mornings whilst under this diet and eating either at maintanence or slgihtly above it (yes i know its difficult to lose fat whilst at maintenance or above but i'll give it a shot). so...

1) the conflicting information i've heard on cardio in the mornings is confusing me, should HIIT be done on an empty stomach?
2) if not, should some complex carbs and protein (as well as glutamine) be fine pre HIIT?
3) post HIIT, are carbs necessary here, or would a shake with whey and casein be enough?

thanks

ryuage
08-05-2008, 08:40 AM
treat hiit like you would a lifting workout

TheGMan
08-05-2008, 08:59 AM
TNT is low carbs so you may struggle with some thingsd, have a look at my thread a little lower down, ihave a sample diet on there and being completely honest last week i wanted to give it up, i felt awful, tired, awful in the gym, i only went twice last week instead of 4 times. Where as this week is completely different, first day last night and i felt awesome, more weight, greater energy!!

Herandi
08-05-2008, 04:11 PM
thanks for the responses guys. I understand why carbs are needed pre HIIT but why after?

Spartan936
08-05-2008, 09:20 PM
pre workout carbs for energy, post workout carbs for better recovery / progress.

I would recommend against the TNT diet. Not because there is anything wrong with it, but because a simple healthy diet will probably work better.

cphafner
08-05-2008, 09:26 PM
I would recommend against the TNT diet. Not because there is anything wrong with it, but because a simple healthy diet will probably work better.

Explain please. TNT is very simple to follow. How much do you actually know about the diet?

ryuage
08-05-2008, 09:35 PM
i know that cphafner was tooooo weak to go through the first phase of it

:evillaugh:

Spartan936
08-05-2008, 09:45 PM
i know that cphafner was tooooo weak to go through the first phase of it

:evillaugh:

lol.

It's just an observation I've made. People who stick with the most basic of principles (count calories, protein intake, efa intake, exercise right, etc.) tend to make better progress than people who resort to more complicated diet plans. TNT is pretty simple, but not as simple as the basics.

That said, I think the TNT diet might be a great way for a veteran athlete to break a plateau. Carb cycling has worked for me in the past. And I can certainly see why 'meat and veggies' meals work well.

I guess I just don't like 'plans' that much. lol.

TheGMan
08-06-2008, 01:49 AM
My first week was hell, completely ****e!! but i stuck at it, i have lose a few pounds but this week i feel awesome, in the gym last night i lifted as heavy as i did without the diet and sometimes a little bit more.

I have added a little more cheese and a cup of coffee at 4 pm before i get to the gym!!

ONe i get through the first 4 weeks ill have a better understanbding

I wiull also be doing HIIT while on the TNT diet, only 2 x 10 mins a week (1 min 45 @ 6.5mph, then 15 seconds @ 10 mph then 45 seconds @ 6.5 mph then 15 seconds @10mph etc etc until i get to 10 mins) It is only a short burst but i am sweating like a pig after it!!

ryuage
08-06-2008, 02:11 AM
after 15 seconds your treadmill will just have hit 10mph... so i actuality you are only doing it for about 3 seconds before you go back down...

TheGMan
08-06-2008, 04:12 AM
The treadmill hits full speak at 54 so i do 6 seconds flat out then it slows down and i slow it down in stages so 15 seconds into my next mon i am back at 6.5 mph. I like doing it this way because it is quick. As far as i know as long as you are doing fast/slow intervals you are doing HIIT??

Anyone got suggestions on the best way to do HIIT on a treadmill??

ryuage
08-08-2008, 01:05 AM
easy... take it outside

Aslin
08-09-2008, 06:45 AM
Why does anyone have to worry about diffeent diets? The best rule to follow is simply to ensure your getting 1g of protein and carbs and .5g of fat per lb of LBM, if your cutting, drop the cals to where your losing a lb or 2 of weight per week or if your bulking raise cals to put on weight.

I'm probably the bulkiest person on this forum and it works for me :)

(j/k)