PDA

View Full Version : Knee wraps 101

BFGUITAR
08-05-2008, 02:07 PM
Just bought some to allow me to squat with my injury. Luckily they seem to work with bodyweight squats.

What is the best wrapping pattern? I have seen a tread pattern on youtube which I use and seems to work. Mine are 2m btw.

As well, how the heck do you guys walk around with them? I can barely bend my knees. When I do squat my knees begin to shake, I am not sure why.

I know wraps are a tool, how do you go about using them aside from helping my injury?

Lones Green
08-05-2008, 02:10 PM
you shouldn't be able to walk in them! :D

its mostly preference. i start at the bottom, wrap up, and X over the patella. i also use 3M though.

BFGUITAR
08-05-2008, 02:13 PM
Should I have gotten a longer one? daang

jtteg_x
08-05-2008, 02:14 PM
i start at the bottom with 2 wraps then work my way up to the top finishing with 2 wraps. i do mine like a spring working my way up inch by inch.

Lones Green
08-05-2008, 02:15 PM
Should I have gotten a longer one? daang

i have longer ones because i have big legs, but if you have smaller legs 2M will be fine...when i use 2M i don't get many laps around the knee at all

Ben Moore
08-05-2008, 02:17 PM

its mostly preference. i start at the bottom, wrap up, and X over the patella. i also use 3M though.

Ditto - I use the 2.5 APT Black Reapers. Great wraps.

BFGUITAR
08-05-2008, 02:17 PM
I have always had a pretty fat knee lol. I just never knew 2m wouldn't be enough. I think the better I get at wrapping the more I can make due.

Is there anything I should change in my squatting technique? Or really just get more use to it?

Ben Moore
08-05-2008, 02:20 PM
make sure you are still sitting back. Some people will push the knees forward when they have wraps on because it's so foreign. Other than that, squat away.

Lones Green
08-05-2008, 03:11 PM

Ben you are the one who suggested the ZRV wraps to me awhile back...before i was just using Inzer wraps, which aren't bad at all...but the ZRV's are so much better. soft, but provide a lot of support.

Reko
08-05-2008, 03:38 PM

Double ditto.

Also, Make sure you really crank them down if you need them to go farther. They will get a little springier once you use them and you can probably get another wrap or two.

I do mine 4 wraps up, criss cross, then twice around the top to loop them (or only 1 if I don't do them tight, depends ontrhe wraps I use). That is with a 2.5M. I have used Inzers, APT Black Reapers, and Metal all blacks. They all wear a little bit different, some stretch more than others, some are thicker, etc.
I used to use the 2M Inzers when I first started using wraps and just wrapped 4 up and then 1 or 2 down then tucked it where I could. I'm not sure I have the room to criss cross with 2's but that is how I like them now. Personal preference. Just as long as your skin doesn't show :)

JSully
08-05-2008, 03:46 PM
I use inzers 2M and just wrap so it's comfortable on my patellar tendons. I normally wrap twice up and 4-5 down, depending on how hard I'm torquing the wrap..

and no, you can't walk well in them, lol..

Guido
08-05-2008, 03:46 PM

its mostly preference. i start at the bottom, wrap up, and X over the patella. i also use 3M though.I do mine the same way. I can wrap it around 5 times then cross over in the "x" before tucking it in. I saw a good video of it once which was how I learned to do it. I don't know where it is now, though.

Preston129
08-06-2008, 05:42 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UYXcHcVeQwc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UYXcHcVeQwc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

This is the way I go about wrapping my knees, which I like quite a bit.

Scott Cartwright, I believe, is in the vid below showing another way, which I might try whenever I get longer wraps.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rbksIiia3oE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rbksIiia3oE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Reko
08-06-2008, 06:50 PM
I don't know if my post made any sense, but it is almost identical to the way Preston's first video was, but I start from the bottom instead. Once I criss cross, I just wrap at the top until it is out (usually 2 to 3 times) and tuck it, no tying for me.

bigDman
08-07-2008, 03:35 PM
herre is a good video that shows all sorts of options
MCfruLGBv-0