PDA

View Full Version : Any Alternative to Gatorade

motor head
08-05-2008, 08:43 PM
Is there anything that offers the chemical/nutritional benefits of gatorade without the sweet fructose corn syrup grose mess of crap? Is propel as good as gatorade? Its still to sweet but not as bad if I remember corectly.

Dan9108
08-05-2008, 08:51 PM
I actually just made a post inquiring about it, but it looks much better than gatorade, minus the crap.

ZipFizz (www.zipfizz.com)

It's a powder mix you put in a bottle of water.

frank
08-05-2008, 08:59 PM
Is there anything that offers the chemical/nutritional benefits of gatorade without the sweet fructose corn syrup grose mess of crap? Is propel as good as gatorade? Its still to sweet but not as bad if I remember corectly.

maybe some dextrose/waximaize? not sure if thats similar...

markdk86
08-05-2008, 09:11 PM
If you are looking for something with more electrolytes and similar effect, v8 is pretty good.

motor head
08-05-2008, 09:33 PM
I actually just made a post inquiring about it, but it looks much better than gatorade, minus the crap.

ZipFizz (www.zipfizz.com)

It's a powder mix you put in a bottle of water.

Oh ya, I saw your post. I didnt reply cause I dunno what you should do with that issue. That product looks good. Are u gonna try it? If u do, let me know how sweet it is.

Gable
08-05-2008, 09:56 PM
http://www.knudsenjuices.com/products/detail.aspx?groupID=10&categoryID=56&flavorID=175&productID=245

They sell that on the hippy aisle at the grocery store.

I've never tried it.

There's another brand that you can get at Central Market.. its a powder, I can't for the life of me remember the name..

a quick google searched yielded a few results.. you might check it out.. I didnt read any indepth..

good luck..

Gable

Spartan936
08-05-2008, 10:17 PM
Unless you're in some kind of extreme endurance sport, I see no reason to drink it at all.

Notorious
08-05-2008, 10:59 PM
water

TopCat
08-05-2008, 11:23 PM
+1 for dextrose. Taking 60g with half a scoop of whey mixed in water before working out is cheap and doesn't taste all too bad.

Reko
08-05-2008, 11:34 PM
The powdered gatorade mix doesn't have any HFCS, but has dextrose and sucrose in it instead.

Ben Moore
08-06-2008, 01:31 AM
The powdered gatorade mix doesn't have any HFCS, but has dextrose and sucrose in it instead.

See above

BFGUITAR
08-06-2008, 01:40 AM
Well... Gatorade contains 3 important things... Water, sugar, and salt. All three are important in endurance exercise. If you want something that offers the same benefit toss some dextrose in to water and add Sodium Chloride and Potassium Chloride as well.

This is pointless to do obviously. Gatorade is great to have during a workout. Before a workout I would rather have dex+whey as the salt isnt really needed. It's simple and pretty cheap if bought as a powder in bulk.

Unreal
08-06-2008, 09:26 AM
Water with a bit of dextrose to taste. Then take some electrolyte pills.

JSully
08-06-2008, 10:58 AM
Well... Gatorade contains 3 important things... Water, sugar, and salt. All three are important in endurance exercise. If you want something that offers the same benefit toss some dextrose in to water and add Sodium Chloride and Potassium Chloride as well.

This is pointless to do obviously. Gatorade is great to have during a workout. Before a workout I would rather have dex+whey as the salt isnt really needed. It's simple and pretty cheap if bought as a powder in bulk.

I was just going to suggest salt, potassium and magnesium to be added to a dextrose/waxy maize drink..

:thumbup:

frank
08-06-2008, 06:08 PM
+1 for dextrose. Taking 60g with half a scoop of whey mixed in water before working out is cheap and doesn't taste all too bad.

would that serve as a pre workout meal? im getting a job soon and need something i can carry around...

Torrok
08-06-2008, 09:23 PM
green tea

BFGUITAR
08-06-2008, 09:32 PM
green tea

That doesn't replace gatorade... it's a completely different drink.

TopCat
08-06-2008, 10:20 PM
would that serve as a pre workout meal? im getting a job soon and need something i can carry around...

Well technically my meal before lifting is 2-4 hours before I lift with more calories to it. I consider that shake something I take <1 hr before a lift and not really a true meal, more like an energy snack :evillaugh:

Also, since it simply in my nature to split hairs... while the Gatorade mix doesn't contain HFCS it does contain sucrose, which is glucose/fructose. Some fructose is good for your body, but again not loads. Gatorade Mix is a great step in the right direction from the liquid.

RhodeHouse
08-06-2008, 11:08 PM
Gatorade. It worked for the University of Florida in 1966, and just about EVERY other major college and professional sport uses it or Powerade (the same thing with 1 more gram of carbs and a little less sodium). Why reinvent the wheel? It works fine as it is. HFCS - it's good enough for MJ, Tiger Woods - it's good enough for any of us.