PDA

View Full Version : whey thats not too expensive but isnt full of ****

frank
08-05-2008, 07:59 PM
ok im using nitrean right now and its the best tasting stuff ive ever had...

bad part is i cant afford around 100$ a month is protein powder.

does anybody know of an american protein distributor that tastes decent, little to no cholesterol/fat/carbs...
(such as myprotein for the UK)

littleman19
08-05-2008, 08:58 PM
$100 a month in protein powder??? christ that's 2 tubs a month! do you drink it for breakfast, lunch and dinner??

here's the best deal you'll find (and it's a good product). 10lb bag of optimum whey for $68 and free shipping.

http://www.vitaglo.com/100whey10lb.html

Spartan936
08-05-2008, 09:28 PM
I wish AtLarge Nutrition would come up with a more economical whey.

*hint hint*

cphafner
08-05-2008, 09:31 PM
$100 a month in protein powder??? christ that's 2 tubs a month! do you drink it for breakfast, lunch and dinner??

here's the best deal you'll find (and it's a good product). 10lb bag of optimum whey for $68 and free shipping.

2 tubs a month is nothing.

littleman19
08-06-2008, 09:15 AM

i op weighs only weighs ~140lb. i mean ~4.5 servings a day isn't THAT much, but when your as small as us and eating your solid meals every 2-3 hours, it's a bit excessive amount of protein. if your freaking HUGE though, 2 tubs in a month isn't much.

frank, try getting at least 120g of protein a day just from solid foods (which isn't hard) and limit your shakes to one a day. just one with a meal on a non-lifting day (if your protein intake is low for the day) and on lifting days, take it post-workout. you'll be able to order nitrean because each tub will last you 2 months or so and you'll save a lot of money. if you wanna save even more money, just order the optimum 10lb bag and do the same thing. for whatever reason (such as school) and you need to take 4 shakes a day, go with the optimum.

manowar669
08-06-2008, 10:50 AM

Walmart has 2.5lb Precision Engineered whey for 12.57, which comes out to $50.28 for 10lbs.

ryuage
08-06-2008, 02:11 PM
just whey proteins are inexpensive as it is...

Brad08
08-06-2008, 02:12 PM
American Sport has a product called American Whey that is cheap and I've heard good things about it.

AJ Roberts
08-06-2008, 02:50 PM
you get what you pay for, cheap whey usually taste like crap and puts you on the crapper within 20 mins. I'd rather pay extra and get a quality whey like nitrean

=Travis=
08-06-2008, 02:51 PM
The American Whey stuff is good.

mike42506
08-06-2008, 03:03 PM
The best deal for whey protein you'll ever find is at walmart to be honest, i get a huge tub for like $10 compared to a smaller tub for $30 that i used to get..

frank
08-06-2008, 04:19 PM
where do you guys buy american whey?

and this is how i plan my powder intake...

breakfast-1 scoop mixed with oats or 1 scoop mixed with milk if im not working out in the morning

pre workout-1 scoop mixed with oats if i workout in the afternoon, chicken if im not

post workout-2 scoops in water...

before i go to bed-1 scoop in milk...

i usually shoot for 220 grams of protein per day...on off days i only have 2 scoops of nitrean on workout days i have 4-5...

so i get atleast 100g of protein from tuna, milk, and chicken

also, is there a limit to how much olive oil i can put in one shake? i put in 10 tablespoons of extra light tasting extra virgin olive oil and i didnt taste any difference...

Torrok
08-06-2008, 04:55 PM
i like how one man says "hey protein helps build muslce"
another man discovers how to isolate protein into a powder
and another man sells the powder at high price claiming to get jacked, or lose fat..

protein is too expensive..id agree...

FireRescue
08-06-2008, 05:19 PM
Scivation has recently come out with a Whey protein. Scivation is a solid company and I would trust their products. $60 for 10lbs is a pretty decent price and it is supposed to taste pretty good too.

manowar669
08-06-2008, 06:05 PM
you get what you pay for, cheap whey usually taste like crap and puts you on the crapper within 20 mins. I'd rather pay extra and get a quality whey like nitrean

Nitrean is a whey, casein, and egg blend. More of a meal replacement. It's very good. Pricey, but in the 20 years I've been using protein powders, I would say it's the best tasting, easiest mixing, protein I've used (Vanilla anyway, can't speak for other flavors). If you can afford it, by all means use it. I supplement my diet with protein, so I buy cheap whey for peri-workout, that's all. If I were drinking more shakes, instead of food, I would definitely recommend Nitrean. Hell, Nitrean tastes like cake mix, I'd stick my face in the tub like a feed bag and have at it.

As for the crapper in 20 min thing. Some people have problems with whey isolate. I did. Gas form though, lethal to co-workers. Luckily I have no problem with whey concentrate, and it's cheaper. So try different stuff.

Ramstein85
08-06-2008, 07:18 PM

I second that, I'm going through 3 right now. AND THATS WITH ME EATING 4 SOLID FOOD MEALS a day :/

Lones Green
08-07-2008, 03:25 AM
try drinking 2 1/2 MAXIMUS shakes a day. :)

fpr
08-07-2008, 07:30 AM
I've come to find out that the cheaper it is, the more likely it is to taste like ****.

frank
08-07-2008, 08:39 AM
how does ON whey mix/taste compared to nitrean? im guessing not too good...

Doobs
08-07-2008, 04:58 PM
I wish AtLarge Nutrition would come up with a more economical whey.

*hint hint*

Nitrean is not whey, it's a blend.

how does ON whey mix/taste compared to nitrean? im guessing not too good...

It's different, because Nitrean is not whey, it's a blend. Whey is usually thinner when mixing the same # of grams. IME ON stuff mixes fine and tastes fine, with the exception of 100% casein which doesn't mix at all (with a spoon anyway, haven't bothered to try it in a shaker).

Nitrean is a whey, casein, and egg blend.

Thank you.

As for the crapper in 20 min thing. Some people have problems with whey isolate. I did. Gas form though, lethal to co-workers. Luckily I have no problem with whey concentrate, and it's cheaper. So try different stuff.

I'm surprised at that. I and most people I've talked to have had better results with isolate because it's more pure. That's the reason I buy ON's blend instead of Nitrean.

frank
08-07-2008, 05:16 PM

It's different, because Nitrean is not whey, it's a blend. Whey is usually thinner when mixing the same # of grams. IME ON stuff mixes fine and tastes fine, with the exception of 100% casein which doesn't mix at all (with a spoon anyway, haven't bothered to try it in a shaker).

Thank you.

I'm surprised at that. I and most people I've talked to have had better results with isolate because it's more pure. That's the reason I buy ON's blend instead of Nitrean.

ON has a whey isolate brand? doesnt that have more ingredients that arent too good for you? such as alot more sodium than a normal whey?

Doobs
08-08-2008, 10:50 AM
I don't think they have one that's just whey isolate. The one I was talking about (pro complex) is a blend and AFAIK doesn't have concentrate in it, 250 mg of sodium.

frank
08-08-2008, 11:04 AM
I don't think they have one that's just whey isolate. The one I was talking about (pro complex) is a blend and AFAIK doesn't have concentrate in it, 250 mg of sodium.

ok thanks alot!

motor head
08-11-2008, 05:44 PM
whats the best stuff, price aside?

Travis Bell
08-11-2008, 06:03 PM
Really Nitrean is about as good as it gets

Most people will actually have better results with a blend rather than an isolate

motor head
08-11-2008, 07:42 PM
whats a blend?

Travis Bell
08-11-2008, 08:49 PM
a blend protein has several types of protein in it

Nitrean has whey, casin and egg protein in it so you've got the slow digesting proteins mixed in with the faster digesting proteins

Doobs
08-11-2008, 09:59 PM
whats the best stuff, price aside?

IMO the best stuff is whey isolate pre- and post-workout, casein before bed and blend the rest of the time. If you break it down like that brand matters less, since as a consumer without inside info all you can do is read the labels. FWIW I buy Isopreme by Universal Nutrition for whey and ON stuff for everything else.