PDA

View Full Version : If you had to pick one ....

Ryano
08-07-2008, 08:15 AM
federation to lift in, which one would it be? Everyone knows there are way to many feds in PL. I currently hold cards for three, WABDL, UPA, and APF. What if you could only belong to one.

I'd probably pick the UPA with WABDL a close second. Mainly since I only compete in bench only. Bill Carpenter's UPA meets are second to none in the quality of the meet, from venue, hotels, local entertainment. They are also within driving distance for me, which is a plus when it comes to meet cost. Gus Rethwich also puts on great meets at nice venues, but I have to fly to most of them, so travel cost is definately a concern. Eric Stone's APF meets in the Chicago area are well run meets, but held in a gym. As far as the competition, in all three feds, I can easily get "my ass handed to me" in the open class, but I hold my own in my master division.

What does everyone else think?

3whitelights
08-07-2008, 08:37 AM
If I could pick one PL federation, USAPL, for the simple reasons that I like strict judging, don't like equipment taking over, and want a federation that is widely international. They do have their problems, however, like any other federation.

I can agree about there being too many feds, but to each his own. I know that not everyone follows my same beliefs of the way powerlifting is going, and I respect anyone with the balls to get on the platform. I am, however, hesitant to call WABDL a powerlifting fed. Nothing wrong with focusing on push/pull, but only having 2 lifts in a meet puts a serious advantage to certain body types, whereas a 3 lift meet keeps things more even.