PDA

View Full Version : Casey Burgener out of Olympics

=Travis=
08-08-2008, 05:39 PM
http://www.nbcolympics.com/weightlifting/news/newsid=182925.html#burgener+lifted+from+competition

Someone booted from the Olympics for something other than drugs. Sucks for him.

Jorge Sanchez
08-08-2008, 05:53 PM
Wow, sucks for him.

KingJustin
08-08-2008, 06:44 PM
Damn, that really sucks. The Burgeners have been really helpful with CrossFit and I know a lot of people that met Casey's dad, Mike, last week. Everyone had great things to say. I was really pulling for Casey. I hope they can resolve this.

KingJustin
08-11-2008, 10:23 AM
So, apparently the deal in Olympic weightlifting is that your country is given spots based on your team finish. The US originally had 3, and now we're down to 2. This had nothing to do with Casey not being personally strong enough to compete (he is going to be stronger than a number of other competitors).

=Travis=
08-11-2008, 10:30 AM
This had nothing to do with Casey not being personally strong enough to compete (he is going to be stronger than a number of other competitors).

That's why is sucks so bad for him, he's able to give it 100% but because of weird rules about the number of spots he has to sit out and watch. Too bad we couldn't pick up one of the Bulgarian spots.

Chubrock
08-11-2008, 11:12 AM
What's worse is that he gauged his entire attempts around the fact that there would be 3 spots. He knew what he had to do and planned accordingly. If he had known there would be only 2 spots, he would've made a run a bit differently.

JHarris
08-12-2008, 11:19 AM
What's worse is that he gauged his entire attempts around the fact that there would be 3 spots. He knew what he had to do and planned accordingly. If he had known there would be only 2 spots, he would've made a run a bit differently.

That's true, but he still had to go out and hit a PR at the Trials to get the third slot, and that took him 2 attempts. He would have needed an even bigger PR to get the 2nd slot.

I feel terrible for the guy, though. To be told you are going to the Olympics and then have it taken away must be awful. It turns out we never had 3 slots; we lost our 3 way back when, earned 2 more, and then someone was wrong when they said we'd get a new 3rd. That was what Casey thought he was going for.

Tom Mutaffis
08-12-2008, 12:23 PM
What a terrible situation for him especially after all of the hard work an anticipation.

At least he got to make the trip to China and I am sure it is an extremely motivating journey that will have him guaranteeing that he doesn't get short changed for the next Olympics...

Guido
08-12-2008, 02:16 PM
Hopefully Casey will be around for the next Olympics. It was extremely unlikely he would have medaled, but to deny him the chance to compete because of miscommunication is just wrong.