PDA

View Full Version : Program Creation Help

METAL VIPER
08-08-2008, 07:20 PM
I'm looking to utilize a linear progression 4 day a week routine - M/T/Th/F. I'm looking to hit both bench and squat twice weekly. My deadlift tends to go up sans deadlifting, so the emphasis will be on full squats. I'm just not sure how I want to organize my training/exercise selection. Any suggestions welcomed.

Stats:
165lbs
300 bench
405 dead
245 olympic squat

Also, if anyone could help me with linear progression schemes, I'd be grateful

Lones Green
08-08-2008, 07:21 PM
living and dying...

METAL VIPER
08-08-2008, 11:30 PM
laughing and crying

Lones Green
08-09-2008, 09:18 AM
what are your goals? are you a powerlifter?

METAL VIPER
08-09-2008, 04:22 PM
Yes, I'm a powerlifter. I want to build greater overall strength while increasing the big 3

Lones Green
08-09-2008, 09:02 PM
have you tried westside?

RedSpikeyThing
08-10-2008, 09:28 AM
Rippetoe's Starting Strength is good, as well as his Texas Method.

Why is your squat 55 lbs lower than your bench??

METAL VIPER
08-11-2008, 12:30 PM
have you tried westside?
No, I haven't really felt like it was for me

Rippetoe's Starting Strength is good, as well as his Texas Method.

Why is your squat 55 lbs lower than your bench??
I'm not very good at squatting.

ZenMonkey
08-11-2008, 12:37 PM
this is what I am trying to do: (I posted it twice for max viewings)

In the BB section-0 replies
http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=114155

In PL/OLY section- 3 replies
http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=114134

if you want to use and or focus on the big 3 and OLY movements then check out the 4 day sample template I am trying to smooth out. I could use some input from everyone

METAL VIPER
08-15-2008, 01:43 PM
Here's what I've been brainstorming:

Monday - Heavy Bench
5x5 - bench (straight sets)
5x5 - press (straight sets)
5x5 - rows (straight sets)
3x8 - triceps extensions

Tuesday - Light Squats
3x5 - front squats
3x5 (@80% of 5RM) - pin suspended good mornings
3x20 - Dimel deadlifts

Thursday - Light Bench
10x3 - speed bench
3x8 - press
3x8 - rows
3x8 - triceps extensions

Friday - Heavy Squats
5x5 - squats (straight sets)
3x5 - pin suspended good mornings
3x5 - Romanian deadlifts

This is just a quick template. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them, as I've been thinking of different options, such as putting rows with squats and substituting some incline bench for them. I was also thinking of substituting either floor press or board press for military on Monday; I'd value any thoughts on that. Of course, this is just linear progression, so I would deload when necessary.

Ben Moore
08-15-2008, 01:46 PM
If you want to get stronger - 5's are not the way to do it. They're great on deload weeks, but you need to be training heavier than that. Try triples and singles.

Before I say all this though, how long have you been training. What is wrong with your squat (ie. where do you fail most of the time?)

METAL VIPER
08-15-2008, 01:51 PM
I have been training for 4 years, but I've only been squatting consistently for around 2. My squat sticking point just coming out of the hole, around parallel. I don't really squat to improve my 1rm, but instead to improve my deadlift, and I've found that full squats have helped tremendously.

So you're thinking something like 8x3 for heavy bench day?

Ben Moore
08-15-2008, 01:58 PM
Really I'm not big on a set number of sets for a heavy day. I work up until I hit a good heavy set. I try to leave knowing I have maybe 1 or 2 more reps in the tank. How many sets that takes me really doesn't matter unless I"m prepping for a meet.

You might check out some of the logs on here and get a better idea of the things I'm talking about.

METAL VIPER
08-15-2008, 02:14 PM
Really I'm not big on a set number of sets for a heavy day. I work up until I hit a good heavy set. I try to leave knowing I have maybe 1 or 2 more reps in the tank. How many sets that takes me really doesn't matter unless I"m prepping for a meet.

You might check out some of the logs on here and get a better idea of the things I'm talking about.
I see. I've been going by Prilepin's Table for the correct volume/intensity for the main lifts, but I realize a lot of people just go by feel.