PDA

View Full Version : tucking elbows too much on bench?

woofer500
08-08-2008, 10:35 PM
Can you tuck in your elbows too much? I think I may be doing this wrong since someone pointed out that my triceps are almost parallel up against my sides and my elbows are pointing forward when the bar is at my chest. Is this causing too much emphasis on the triceps and not enough on shoulders/pecs/lats?

BFGUITAR
08-08-2008, 11:00 PM
Generally speaking, your arm should be about 45 degrees from your body.

Travis Bell
08-09-2008, 07:24 AM
Doesn't sound too bad, although maybe just a tad close but its difficult to tell without video.

a better question is if it doesn't hurt you, is your bench going up?

drew
08-09-2008, 07:31 AM
Video would help. If your elbows are out in front of you, get your wrists over them. Your wrists should be directly above your elbows. I don't thikn you're tucking too hard, but probably rolling your wrists back when you get to the bottom. Make sure your wrists are straight and under the bar.

Rob Luyando
08-09-2008, 10:59 AM
When wearing a shirt you want to tuck as hard as you can trining to reach your toes with your elbows. You should also be placing the bar lower onto your stomach not to your chest. When you press upward flare your elbows and move the bar back towards your head to get you chest muscles involved as well.

Lones Green
08-09-2008, 11:09 AM
yeah, are you talking about raw benching or shirted benching? i THINK you are talking about raw benching, because getting your elbows to touch your sides isn't too easy in a shirt...

pocoloco blanka
08-09-2008, 11:48 AM
yeah, are you talking about raw benching or shirted benching? i THINK you are talking about raw benching, because getting your elbows to touch your sides isn't too easy in a shirt...

he is talking about being in a shirt..:hello:

Travis Bell
08-09-2008, 01:30 PM
ah, well in that case, its pretty difficult to tuck too far. Just keep the weight over your forearms. Don't allow your wrists to bend way back

woofer500
08-09-2008, 03:34 PM
sorry i forgot to mention i am talking about raw benching. No, my bench hasnt gone up in a long time (250@165 touch and go), but on the plus side ive never injured my self benching. i maxed again yesterday with the same max i hit like 9 months ago. Then I hit shoulder presses after which felt easy and not fatigued at all , so i was wondering if I am limiting my bench strength to my triceps. My elbows are touching my sides and pointing forward when the bar is on my chest, so it seems pretty close.

thewicked
08-10-2008, 12:24 PM
i only do it with my inclines that i no longer to but yeah.. if you tuck too much i feel it can knock you out of the groove.