PDA

View Full Version : Low Reps for Abs?

AJ_H
08-09-2008, 08:30 AM
I can do crunches and sit-ups all day, with or without a weight plate, and I can lift the whole stack pretty easily for pulldowns on the cable as well.

Any suggestions?

I know squats and deadlifts are pretty good core developers and I do these religiously but I want something that places a lil more emphasis on the abs and something I can do reps that are at least lower than ten, maybe even lower than 5 what do you think?

Keith
08-09-2008, 09:56 AM
Treat them as any other muscle group. I'm assuming you want to build this muscle and not just visibly see them, so choose exercises where it's difficult in the 10-15 rep range. My personal favourite and most effective, IMO, are weighted reverse crunches hanging from a chinup bar. Use ankle weights or hold a dumbbell using your feet.

Reko
08-09-2008, 12:00 PM
I can do crunches and sit-ups all day, with or without a weight plate, and I can lift the whole stack pretty easily for pulldowns on the cable as well.

Any suggestions?

I know squats and deadlifts are pretty good core developers and I do these religiously but I want something that places a lil more emphasis on the abs and something I can do reps that are at least lower than ten, maybe even lower than 5 what do you think?

Do you put the plate behind your head?

Chris Rodgers
08-09-2008, 12:06 PM
Do you put the plate behind your head?

Exactly. This will make it 10x harder than holding it on your chest. I do my weighted ab work with the weight behind my head.

KingJustin
08-09-2008, 12:56 PM
Think of the whole progressive overload deal -- you want to constantly increase weight and you want to get a pump as well. It's hard to accomplish this (constantly increasing weight) with 100-rep-sets.

Also, if this is in regards to powerlifting, then I think things like abdominal pulldowns, standing ab wheels and stuff like that are better than sit-ups. But, if you are going to do sit-ups, do them on a big decline so you get a good ROM. Crunches suck.

AJ_H
08-09-2008, 01:37 PM
Thanks for the input guys.

No, I did not realise putting the plate behind my head will make it harder, I'll try this next time. What do you guys think about going lower than 5 for abs? My goals are all set on increasing the big three in powerlifting.

AJ_H
08-09-2008, 01:41 PM
[QUOTE=KingJustin;1979249]Also, if this is in regards to powerlifting, then I think things like abdominal pulldowns, standing ab wheels and stuff like that are better than sit-ups.[QUOTE]

Know any more exercises like this?

Chris Rodgers
08-09-2008, 01:43 PM
Thanks for the input guys.

No, I did not realise putting the plate behind my head will make it harder, I'll try this next time. What do you guys think about going lower than 5 for abs? My goals are all set on increasing the big three in powerlifting.

I typically do my ab/oblique work in the 8-15 rep range with as much weight as I can. For me personally it is very hard to keep my form on those movements if I try and go heavier than that. I also do plenty of low rep squat, DL, OH press, Zerchers, etc. which already hit my abs hard.

KingJustin
08-09-2008, 02:52 PM
Know any more exercises like this?

Overhead squats are another good one. If you work with those 4 exercises then you'll be good to go for the next couple years.

And I agree with Chris -- it's really hard to go above the 8 rep range for ab work.