PDA

View Full Version : sniffing ammonia

roots
08-09-2008, 03:02 PM
anyone here do this before a big lift? I've seen some videos of powerlifters doing it, looks crazy. what exactly does it do?

KarstenDD
08-09-2008, 03:05 PM
It takes away any thought, all you do is lift. Also, adrenaline.

WillNoble
08-09-2008, 03:27 PM
it is actually a magical pill derived by the Nazi's in 1938 to help them win the war....shhhhhhh don't tell anyone

Addison K.
08-09-2008, 04:33 PM
anyone here do this before a big lift? I've seen some videos of powerlifters doing it, looks crazy. what exactly does it do?

I sniff a bottle of ammonia before I hit a big lift.

My favorite product by far is Nose Tork.

AK

Jason Pegg
08-09-2008, 05:03 PM
I smash that **** all the time! Ive used it on road trips when I feel a bit sleepy. Just bust a cap and good to go for another couple hours! As Addison said Nose Torl>ammonia caps too.

Jason

Travis Bell
08-09-2008, 05:26 PM
I can't do it at a meet. I get jacked up enough just on my own, but I HAVE to be able to think when I'm benching.

it does seem to work well for some, just be careful. Snort too much and you can actually pass out. I watched a guy snort too much and he passed out just as he took the weight out from the racks. Dropped 600lbs right on his collar bone. Not good.

*edit I should add this won't happen to most people. He cupped his hands around the bottle and then huffed it for quite a few deep breaths through his nose

Keith
08-09-2008, 05:29 PM
I'm being lazy right now and not looking it up, but is it harmful at all?

SGT ROCK
08-09-2008, 05:34 PM
Many guys use it. I prefer the caps as you can sniff it then get rid of it right away. One use of smelling salts are used to help revive people that are passed out, I have never seen anyone pass out due to their use but have seen many gain full consciousness due to their use at least in part. They are certainly not for a beginner.

Semper Fi

Reko
08-09-2008, 05:44 PM
I use them before I take a dump.

Actually I rarely use them lifting at all. I take a more calm approach to lifting, visualizing my lifts and getting pumped that way as opposed to getting pumped up with adrenaline. To each their own.
I think Hatley does it to wake up in the morning. He needs to be put on the patch hahah though he is doing much better now. He used to do it like 2 sets out of a PR sometimes :)

Rob Luyando
08-09-2008, 05:58 PM
I use nose tork all the time. I think I just like the smell. LOL! It helps clear thoughts and cinus problems which enables me to get big air before a big lift.

Addison K.
08-09-2008, 06:42 PM
I'm being lazy right now and not looking it up, but is it harmful at all?

I don't think it's "healthy" for you

One of the guys in my training crew is a lung and abdomen surgeon and he uses it, so I can't imagine its too bad for you.

AK

BFGUITAR
08-09-2008, 06:49 PM
Ammonia is VERY toxic. If there is enough of it in our blood stream it will cause our blood to become too basic which results in alkalosis which leads to death. But that's why it is so offensive to us. A tiny tiny bit of ammonia triggers our receptors in our nose and that sends a powerful signal to our brain saying "THERE IS AMMONIA IN THE AREA GET THE **** OUT!!!!!". So while it feels like hell sniffing it, in reality your not taking in that much but rather it is so anti-life our bodies have learned to react strongly to even a little bit of the substance.

It's funny... we get rid of our ammonia waste in the form of urea. This is because peeing out ammonia is well... dangerous to our health. A pile of ammonia isn't good at all. Fish on the other hand don't excrete urea but instead ammonia. Because they are in water it can be diluted very easily.

CleverName
08-09-2008, 07:52 PM
We have a few bottles at my gym and I'll use them sometimes for deadlifting but I don't feel they help much. It's very short lived for me. I'll sniff it, cough, get a headrush for maybe a second, and be back to normal. Guess it doesn't help that I'm rarely psyched up to begin with... but I think they smell good, so I like it. :redface:

Addison K.
08-09-2008, 08:25 PM
Ammonia is VERY toxic. If there is enough of it in our blood stream it will cause our blood to become too basic which results in alkalosis which leads to death. But that's why it is so offensive to us. A tiny tiny bit of ammonia triggers our receptors in our nose and that sends a powerful signal to our brain saying "THERE IS AMMONIA IN THE AREA GET THE **** OUT!!!!!". So while it feels like hell sniffing it, in reality your not taking in that much but rather it is so anti-life our bodies have learned to react strongly to even a little bit of the substance.

It's funny... we get rid of our ammonia waste in the form of urea. This is because peeing out ammonia is well... dangerous to our health. A pile of ammonia isn't good at all. Fish on the other hand don't excrete urea but instead ammonia. Because they are in water it can be diluted very easily.

I couldn't decipher your opinion on its use?

AK

Sean Hatley
08-09-2008, 08:32 PM
I use them before I take a dump.

Actually I rarely use them lifting at all. I take a more calm approach to lifting, visualizing my lifts and getting pumped that way as opposed to getting pumped up with adrenaline. To each their own.
I think Hatley does it to wake up in the morning. He needs to be put on the patch hahah though he is doing much better now. He used to do it like 2 sets out of a PR sometimes :)

I dont have a problem..... actually havent used any for like 2 months i think. Since that last meet.

Lones Green
08-09-2008, 08:59 PM
i hardly use the stuff because i always forget to order it, or i'll be like 5 bucks?! no way!

i do like the head rush and the fact that it pumps me up. i don't think it should make you compromise your form though. there is too much to think about when squatting and benching.

Reko
08-09-2008, 10:02 PM
i hardly use the stuff because i always forget to order it, or i'll be like 5 bucks?! no way!

i do like the head rush and the fact that it pumps me up. i don't think it should make you compromise your form though. there is too much to think about when squatting and benching.

I've actually passed a tab around before a hockey game on the bench. I think they liked it.

BFGUITAR
08-10-2008, 12:02 AM
I couldn't decipher your opinion on its use?

AK

You smell it and it tells your body there's something the **** wrong because you are around an extremely toxic chemical. Thus you get the rush.

Chris Rodgers
08-10-2008, 07:44 AM
You smell it and it tells your body there's something the **** wrong because you are around an extremely toxic chemical. Thus you get the rush.

LOL. So YAY or NAY? :confused:

Sean Hatley
08-10-2008, 07:49 AM
Amonia tabs are great for passed out drunk friends.

BFGUITAR
08-10-2008, 08:52 AM
It's fine as long as you don't inhale a lot (more than you could bare to) of it or eat it.

BFGUITAR
08-10-2008, 12:54 PM
Why don't oly lifter take a whiff of this stuff before a lift?

Reko
08-10-2008, 12:59 PM
My guess is because its such a technical lift. Plus, it might not be allowed on the platform and you see how long their set up takes sometimes.

Addison K.
08-10-2008, 01:21 PM

:D

I will keep this in mine!

AK

TankOfTeamStone
08-10-2008, 03:09 PM
I've seen some weird things with ammonia. I was at Chicago Summer Bash 5 and seen Putt Houston crack two ammonia capsules and put both real close to eye's and then sniffed both capsules. I think thats just going a bit far, but that's just me. He made some good lifts at that competition. I'm a nosetork guy, always got to use it on my big lifts.

Reko
08-10-2008, 04:44 PM
I've seen judges ask for the bottle of nose tork and say thats some good ****!
They weren't even lifting haha, good ole Rob.

3whitelights
08-11-2008, 07:17 AM

My roommate kept me up late one night when I had to be up early the next day, just to be a dick. Well I rolled over once my alarm went off that morning, grabbed an ammonia tab, and cracked it right under his nose. He damn near had a seizure. Utterly hilarious.

smokinHawk
08-11-2008, 09:31 AM
over exposer or prolonged use can screw you up
i used to work at a place that made refrigerators, in the test mixing lab and it screwed up my sinuses bad. as ammonia was a main ingredient.
after testing it i would get bad bloody noses, and i now have a loss of smelling senses (i cannot smell as well any more, plus constant nose drainage and partial blockage in one nostril.
after i got transfered out of that department it took about 6 months for my random bloody noses to stop occurring and another year for them to stop completely. I still have problems with my sinuses, as i have allot of nasal discharge, cant easily breath through my nose like it is partaily blocked, and decrease in my smelling ability.

if you get a big whiff of it, your eyes will start tearing, and can pass out if it over takes the oxygen in your body.

that stuff is nasty and i cannot take any smell of it any more.

motor head
08-11-2008, 10:31 AM
over exposer or prolonged use can screw you up
i used to work at a place that made refrigerators, in the test mixing lab and it screwed up my sinuses bad. as ammonia was a main ingredient.
after testing it i would get bad bloody noses, and i now have a loss of smelling senses (i cannot smell as well any more, plus constant nose drainage and partial blockage in one nostril.
after i got transfered out of that department it took about 6 months for my random bloody noses to stop occurring and another year for them to stop completely. I still have problems with my sinuses, as i have allot of nasal discharge, cant easily breath through my nose like it is partaily blocked, and decrease in my smelling ability.

if you get a big whiff of it, your eyes will start tearing, and can pass out if it over takes the oxygen in your body.

that stuff is nasty and i cannot take any smell of it any more.

...lawsuit...???

Ben Moore
08-11-2008, 10:37 AM
...lawsuit...???

No ****, they should have provided breathing protection if that's the case.

thewicked
08-11-2008, 11:02 AM
lol makes me wonder if i should parttake.. i thrive on that huge adrenaline rush but usually i can pull that mentally. However if I have an off day maybe ammonia might be something to have on hand just incase!