PDA

View Full Version : Weak shoulders... what works for you?

BFGUITAR
08-10-2008, 12:30 PM
I guess oly lifters could probably really help me with this.

I have weak shoulders... I can't press for ****. What are some different/unique tactics for working shoulders that don't involve standard rep/set schemes and than trying to do a bit better the next time. I don't know but that doesn't seem to be effective for me. The only shoulder work I do (aside from benching) include a normal press of 3x5 on one day and lateral raises on another (I do these for fun lol).

I am not sure how to go about this. Should I change it up and start doing push presses?

Lones Green
08-10-2008, 12:34 PM
i throw overhead presses in on my DE days every now and then. other than that its just lateral raises every now and then. oly lifters will tell you to press more, haha

AJ_H
08-10-2008, 12:38 PM
When you do bench variants, do incline bench, these tend to place more stress on the shoulders. Obviously throw in some lateral raises and presses on your upper body days.

BFGUITAR
08-10-2008, 12:44 PM
I do board presses. I don't do incline very much. It's in my ME upper cycle though.

thewicked
08-10-2008, 12:44 PM
i pretty much stick to laterals save every so often i'll do seated military.

RhodeHouse
08-10-2008, 02:14 PM
Nothing is better than military presses. If they're not a staple of your training, you're way off. Who says only Olympic lifters could help?

BFGUITAR
08-10-2008, 02:23 PM
I never said only.
And they are a staple of my shoulder training. But I am not seeing any progress.

Sean S
08-10-2008, 02:59 PM
I had some success rotating push presses, standing military presses, and standing DB presses each week(Week 1-push press, Week 2-military, Week 3-DB, repeat etc...). I worked up to one "heavy" set of 5 on my bench assistance day. I started with a weight on each that was pretty managable for my top set and then went up 5 lbs. every time I came back to that exercise. This worked for several months. When I reached a plateau, I dropped the weight on each exercise and started working back up again.
This took my shoulder strength from terrible to OK. It also helped both my shirted and raw bench significantly.

nhlfan
08-10-2008, 07:15 PM
to get better at overhead pressing, overhead press more often. A lot of the techniques that help improve bench numbers help improve overhead press numbers as well, imo. Squeeze the bar hard, take a deep breath, use a little hip drive, etc.

Ben Moore
08-10-2008, 10:14 PM
I had some success rotating push presses, standing military presses, and standing DB presses each week(Week 1-push press, Week 2-military, Week 3-DB, repeat etc...). I worked up to one "heavy" set of 5 on my bench assistance day. I started with a weight on each that was pretty managable for my top set and then went up 5 lbs. every time I came back to that exercise. This worked for several months. When I reached a plateau, I dropped the weight on each exercise and started working back up again.
This took my shoulder strength from terrible to OK. It also helped both my shirted and raw bench significantly.

This is good advice.

BFGUITAR
08-11-2008, 06:36 PM

This is very good advice. I guess I should practice what I preach considering I do the same thing with my bench!

Ramstein85
08-11-2008, 08:20 PM
i tell you my shoulders are my weak point, but for two months i been hitting only incline bench, except flat bench once to see if i can press 100kg and i did. The thing is incline is great for the chest and shoulders and lats to some degree i love it. Also Mili pressing/lateral raise/front raise with triceps on a different workout.

mike42506
08-12-2008, 06:08 AM
I have the same problem my military press increases incredibly slowly. I have weak bench press too =/

Tennessee Mike
08-12-2008, 06:37 AM
i throw overhead presses in on my DE days every now and then. other than that its just lateral raises every now and then. oly lifters will tell you to press more, haha

I also do military presses on my assistance day.I basically treat it as the "4th lift",and use the same weight progressions as the others.I do mine standing with no leg drive.I also like front/side lateral raises.Contrary to popular belief,their not only a bodybuilding exercise.Ive gained some decent size on my delts from raises.But I agree with Rhodes,nothing is better than a military press.Just remember to keep the bar close to your face when pressing.Alot of guys tend to push "out".

Brad08
08-12-2008, 08:16 AM
I have weak shoulders... I can't press for ****. What are some different/unique tactics for working shoulders that don't involve standard rep/set schemes and than trying to do a bit better the next time. I don't know but that doesn't seem to be effective for me.

Progressive training should work for shoulders the same as it works for anything else. EXCEPT you might need to make smaller jumps in poundage b/c the weights handled overhead aren't as heavy as for flat press, squat, etc. it's easy to overestimate your weights and stall out quickly.

For example, if you do 5x185 and expect to go in next week and hit 5x195, you might be disappointed b/c whereas a 10 lb jump might be no sweat on a heavy lift, it's a significant jump percentage-wise on something like an overhead press.

You might not need "unique tactics," you might just need a more conservative approach to adding weight. And better technique.

Guido
08-12-2008, 10:09 AM
This took my shoulder strength from terrible to OK. It also helped both my shirted and raw bench significantly.That's almost exactly what I do except I also get in regular oly lifts in every week on Saturdays. My shoulder strength has definitely improved and with it so has my bench.

BFGUITAR
08-12-2008, 11:35 AM
I have read through Ripptoes SS about the press and it really has helped. Smaller jumps may be in order.