PDA

View Full Version : Want to buy a bench shirt for the first time

mkmet708
08-10-2008, 04:54 PM
I was thinking of purchasing a bench shirt in December after I increase my raw bench press. I want to go with either a double ply Rage X or even a denim shirt from Inzer. For a first timer, would a double ply be too much or would it just take longer to learn? Also, my chest measurement relaxed is 41" which would make the shirt size to be a 44. Would this size be ideal for the first time? And finally, what are the advantages/disadvantages of having a shirt grid stitched, scoop necked, or reinforced? Thanks.

Travis Bell
08-10-2008, 05:47 PM
double ply wouldn't be too much. Really the single ply shirts IMO can be more difficult to learn (least they were for me) because often they are fitted tighter than the double ply shirt.

I wouldn't however get a tricked out shirt (grid stitch, reinforced neckline and round stitched sleeves) that would probably make it more shirt than you need right now. Those things will alter the groove as well as making it more narrow so your technique will have to be more spot on.

I'd stick with a stock shirt. I do think you're on the right track though. If you are going to compete in a multiply fed, get a double ply shirt. I was just awful in the single ply shirts but my first time in a double denim I loved it.

I would probably recommend the Rage X over the Denim, but huge benches have been hit in both so it boils down to preference. Which since you have never worn one before you won't have one LOL. Denims are typically more comfortable to wear

frank
08-10-2008, 05:59 PM
double ply wouldn't be too much. Really the single ply shirts IMO can be more difficult to learn (least they were for me) because often they are fitted tighter than the double ply shirt.

I wouldn't however get a tricked out shirt (grid stitch, reinforced neckline and round stitched sleeves) that would probably make it more shirt than you need right now. Those things will alter the groove as well as making it more narrow so your technique will have to be more spot on.

I'd stick with a stock shirt. I do think you're on the right track though. If you are going to compete in a multiply fed, get a double ply shirt. I was just awful in the single ply shirts but my first time in a double denim I loved it.

I would probably recommend the Rage X over the Denim, but huge benches have been hit in both so it boils down to preference. Which since you have never worn one before you won't have one LOL. Denims are typically more comfortable to wear

travis, is there any type of bench shirt that is superior to any other in terms of pushing more weight?

thanks

Travis Bell
08-10-2008, 06:16 PM
Well thats really a difficult question to answer. Different people will bench better in different shirts because their form is different, training technique is different and the way you wear the shirt.

For myself, I do much much better in the Phenom shirts, but I had a great time learning shirts in my DD. The reason I do better in the Phenom shirts is I can adjust them much more easily and I don't have to wear them very tight. I will say the few times I've worn a Rage X I like it as well, but I just couldn't find my groove quite as easily. This doesn't mean that the next person wouldn't find their groove in a Rage X at the snap of your fingers.

So I guess to answer your question, No, there isn't one type of bench shirt that is superior in a general sense of the word. But if you look at the majority of the big benches that have been hit (I'm talking All Time list) the shirts worn are either a Rage X or Super Duper Phenom.

frank
08-10-2008, 06:17 PM
ok thanks alot travis

Chris Rodgers
08-10-2008, 06:17 PM
travis, is there any type of bench shirt that is superior to any other in terms of pushing more weight?

thanks

The Inzer Super Phenom seems to be the nastiest shirt out there, but many people have put up huge numbers without it.

I agree with Travis. A stock poly of some sort should be a good starter shirt. Preferably a little loose rather than tight. Do you have people to help you learn to use it?

Travis Bell
08-10-2008, 06:22 PM
The Inzer Super Phenom seems to be the nastiest shirt out there, but many people have put up huge numbers without it.

I completly agree. I was only referring to the most recent all time benches

I should add though, there is a difference between the Inzer Super Phenom and the Inzer Super Duper Phenom. I have both shirts and will be wearing my Super Phenom at the ProAm but my SD Phenom is a whole different animal. An awesome shirt, just maybe a little too much for a beginner

mkmet708
08-10-2008, 06:54 PM

I agree with Travis. A stock poly of some sort should be a good starter shirt. Preferably a little loose rather than tight. Do you have people to help you learn to use it?

At the moment, no I don't have anyone to help me use it. However, 30 minutes away from where I live is a powerlifting gym called Quality Classic that I just looked up on powerliftingwatch and another gym called World Gym in Joliet. Does anyone on these forums know of anybody that lifts at either of those gyms? I would definately be driving out to these gyms to learn in my shirt.

One more question. Should I stick to my exact measurements or should I add an inch or two to them to get a feel for shirted benching?

drew
08-11-2008, 05:31 AM
I think your first course of action should be to get into one of those two gyms, find out when they bench and try to get involved with them. Start training with real powerlifters as soon as you can as they can give you a lot of guidance, get you prepared for shirted benching and probably help you with getting the right fit as usually there will be multiple lifters of different sizes who may or may not let you try their shirts (at least that's how it works at Southside). Get a feel for what you need and then go spend your money.

Also, you can often find a good shirt on ebay for a lot less, I got my first RageX for $40 and it was like new.

Personally I love the Rage X. I've used the single and double and the double just took me a lot longer to figure out. I was putting up PRs my first night in the single.

Good luck and enjoy!

smokinHawk
08-11-2008, 06:03 AM
hey i got a rage x double ply with an open back that is just to small for me so i dont need it.
sent you a PM

mkmet708
08-11-2008, 06:32 AM
smokinhawk, i just checked inzer's sizing chart and i posted my size for a single ply rage x accidentally, i'm sorry. thanks for the offer, though.