PDA

View Full Version : Have a Question about carbs?

IrideVolks
08-10-2008, 05:28 PM
Ive searched before posting my question, couldnt find quite what i was looking for. Ok im trying to adjust my carb intake with my workout schedule with an overall goal of cutting ive read a diet about having low or no carb days with days of high carbs to keep my metabolism high or in otherwords at an anabolic state. now would my high carb days be my body weight or a little higher (i weigh 175lbs) such as a ratio 1.5carbs to 1lbs for example. so then in turn what would be a low carb day at 175lbs and what would be the ratio of lbs to carbs on a low carb days as well as high carb days. The article i read was on this website "Advance cutting techniques for physique perfection" maybe i overlooked it in the article, but im asking for some help.
btw im a buddy of iridevolks i couldnt post a new thread on my new account.

ryuage
08-10-2008, 05:35 PM
If thats how you want to set it up then just use arbitrary numbers... 1.25/1/.75 or low as you can go on the low carb days. There is no specific amount or optimal ratio in relation to your bodyweight and how many carbs to ingest while carb cycling. Everything will depend on the rest of your diet and how many calories are allotted to each other macro nutrient.

waly01
08-14-2008, 08:35 AM
I do a similiar diet that calls for days of low carb dieting followed by an anabolic phase to build some back but it's far more complicated than just adjusting your carb intake. I'll give you a quick answer first..

On my low carb days (I'm 195 lbs about 11-12% BF) I take in about 50 grams of carbs. That's the lowest recomended amount becuase any lower than that is not benificial. I also have 200 grams of protein (about1-1.5 grams per pound of lean body mass) and about 55 grams of fat which puts me around 1500 calories for a day. You'd want to do a similar percentage breakdown but prob only be around 1200-1300 calories since you weigh less than I do.

This is coupled with a training regiment that calls for many sets of high reps and low weights with short rest periods in order to deplete your glycogen and get your body to a state where it begins to seek other sources of energy outside of carbs. Some of the benefits of this will be the breakdown of triglycerides(fat molecules ) in the fat cells for energy but it will also some negative effects such as protein/muscle breakdown as well.

After about 3-4 days, I begin the anabolic phase which is preceeded by a heavy carb load. I'll take in about 1500 grams of carbs with 200 grams of protein and 50 grams of fat in a 30 hour period. It's nearly 7000 calories and what makes it even harder is only 100 grams of carbs are recomended to be from fructose and only 50 from sucrose, which really cuts out all the junk food. This will effectivley replenish your glycogen stores but your body continues to burn fat for energy for about 24 hours. The last day of the cylce is a very low rep, high weight, short rest lifting day to take advantage of the glycogen stores and to try and build back some muscle that may have been lost during the diet phase.

Repeat.

BFGUITAR
08-14-2008, 10:27 AM
Low carb days try and keep it between 50-80g. For high carb days (workout days) have around 300 or more (depends on your goals)

khaubroe
08-24-2008, 10:39 AM
yes cycling which in my definition would be 3 days with right around 50 carbs preferably in the morning from around 700 am till noon then on the fourth day eat around 200 carbs throught the day dont forget your protein then repeat the process 3 low carb days 1 high carb repeat its recomened those carbs should be complex which include whole grains such as whole grain rice, cereal, bread, pasta and so on stay away from the white carbs like white bread and white pasta, white rice carbing up before bed on the high carb day isnt that bad either