PDA

View Full Version : Is it safe to bulk yet?

Eric Cartman
08-10-2008, 06:48 PM
Just measured myself at 183.5 lbs, 19% BodyFat,.. age 35, height 6 ft 1 inches

I took this measurement at night, but its fairly close to accurate..I've been on a cut for about 2 1/2 months..

When can I go on a bulk? What weight and BF% is healthy and advisable? Is this information posted anywhere?

Thanks,

EC

p.s. I didnt know if this was meant to be in the Nutrition forum, please move it if off topic

Jorge Sanchez
08-10-2008, 07:54 PM
19% is pretty high to be going on a bulk, but you are the one that is going to have to make this decision. Personally, if I were in your situation, I'd cut until at least 15% probably closer to 10% before thinking about bulking again.

ryuage
08-10-2008, 08:15 PM
:withstupi:

if you're happy with that bodyfat and dont mind gaining some more now then by all means.

Eric Cartman
08-10-2008, 10:27 PM
Well for me it is a question of health, as well as appearance... 10% bodyfat might not be realistic though, that would bring me down to 160 lbs wouldn't it? That would be tough to achieve or maintain.. 15% sounds a bit more realistic...

Anyone else have opinions?

Gable
08-11-2008, 07:27 AM
I think it depends on your goals.

Are you looking to compete in BB, PL, etc.? Or just get bigger, leaner, etc.

I would try to figure out what you want to accomplish first. Once you know your goals, the path is generally pretty obvious.

I'm bulking and am around 20%bf .. for my goals this is what I need to do.

Good luck~

Eric Cartman
08-11-2008, 09:41 AM
Number 1 goal: improved health

Number 2 goal: look attractive to get more women

That is it! :)

Gable
08-11-2008, 09:52 AM
Good goals.. I think everyone wants those two!! haha

Jorge Sanchez
08-11-2008, 10:18 AM
I would say bulking now would not help you achieve either of those goals.

Eric Cartman
08-11-2008, 01:50 PM
I would say bulking now would not help you achieve either of those goals.

So do you also recommend 10% bodyfat before I bulk again?

Strangely, my scale today says I am 184.5 lbs and 22% bodyfat, how could the reading change so quickly? Maybe its imperfect technology... or is it possible to gain that much overnight?

Later

EC

Jorge Sanchez
08-11-2008, 02:30 PM
Bodyfat scales are inredibly inaccurate. I once owned one (that I quickly returned) which consistently put me 7-10% higher than I actually was.

Throw up some pictures to see if others think it's accurate.

Ultimately, when to bulk comes down to your own comfort with your appearance. I don't think it would be particularly healthy to bulk at 20ish%. The lower your BF going into a bulk the much better it will be in terms of health, appearance and muscle partitioning. But like I said, I can't tell you when to bulk. Only you can make that decision.

RhodeHouse
08-11-2008, 03:55 PM
Number 1 goal: improved health

Number 2 goal: look attractive to get more women

That is it! :)

Chicks don't care how you look. They are not as simple as we are. That's why the hot girls end up with Johnny Douche Bag. Ugly dudes have to make up for it by being funny, polite, smart, caring, etc... Not that pretty guys aren't these things, but they're too busy looking at themselves to notice their girl.

And, if you really want to be with a girl that likes you because of the way you look, you're in for a lifetime of pain and misery. There is no pleasing a broad who cares about how you look. You'll never be handsome enough and she'll end up cheating on you with some pretty boy named Tyson, or something like that.

You should do this for you, and you alone. When you feel the way you want to feel, most likely, you'll look the way you want to look. Do this with you in mind. If you carry yourself with confidence, girls will notice it and you'll be beating them off with a stick. They are smarter than we are. They will sense your fear and apprehension. Build your confidence by training hard, sticking with your diet plan, and not letting up until you feel the way you want to feel.

And, the health crap is important,too, I guess. Remember, we don't get out of life alive.

hellagrant
08-11-2008, 05:09 PM
Bodyfat scales are inredibly inaccurate. I once owned one (that I quickly returned) which consistently put me 7-10% higher than I actually was.

Throw up some pictures to see if others think it's accurate.

Ultimately, when to bulk comes down to your own comfort with your appearance. I don't think it would be particularly healthy to bulk at 20ish%. The lower your BF going into a bulk the much better it will be in terms of health, appearance and muscle partitioning. But like I said, I can't tell you when to bulk. Only you can make that decision.

I was about to say the samething. Those scales can be way off. If you aren't lean, then you probably should work towards being lean. If you are certain that the scale you used is accurate, then I would say cut down on fat. Most professionals would say lean down to the low teens before bulking up.

Gable
08-11-2008, 05:21 PM
Well put Rhodes. Well put.

My point was, if you wanna get lean, get lean, if you wanna get big, get big. The way I try to approach my progress is based on specific goals.

My goals now are to be bigger, and stronger. So I bulk. If I feel like I am putting on too much fat, I do more Prowler and cardio work. It seems to be working for me so far.

It may not be scientific, but I use the mirror and the scale to judge my progress.

If I am gaining weight, but dont "look" fatter.., great! If not, I adjust.

Think long and hard about your goals, and waht you want longterm and near term. When you establish those the path will be more clear.

IMHO.

Good luck~
Gable

BFGUITAR
08-11-2008, 05:37 PM
I personally started cutting where you are now. I look a lot better, feel better, look healthier...

I would LOVE to get to 10% bf. I am the leanest I have ever been at around 14% maybe. I started bulking around this point again last year only because I felt I didn't have enough muscle to justify any further cutting. I than got back up to 19% and back to 14% looking awesome. I am 183 and at 175 lean I would look nice.

Don't forget, bulking is much easier (in terms of gaining muscle and less fat) at around 10%bf than at 14%

dumbbell
08-11-2008, 10:20 PM
How much did you go down from the 2 1/2 mo. cut?

If it was me and I had some success after that time, I would be motivated to just keep cutting.

I feel that if your in the high teens + for BF that It should at least be one's goal to not let their waist measurement grow. As far as health goes I would think that that would be the biggest factor. Hell with the scale. Use a tape measure and the mirror. That's how I deal with it, since my current goal is strength. So, I wouldn't say a "bulk" would be in the cards yet.

But we all have different goals at different times and different things that motivate us.

Eric Cartman
08-12-2008, 10:16 AM
Thanks for the responses... a few things:

I started this cut at 196.5 lbs and now down to 184 in about 3 months I guess. I've hit a plateau but I think you're right, I need to keep going till I am a bit leaner.

Also, I agree with the posts about women not caring how I look. They care more about confidence, you are correct, so I should do this for ME. Agreed.

These bodyfat scales definitely aren't accurate, I think you're right.

Hey Guitar, why is it easier to bulk when you're 10% BF? What makes it easier?

Thanks,

EC

BFGUITAR
08-12-2008, 11:33 AM
Thanks for the responses... a few things:

I started this cut at 196.5 lbs and now down to 184 in about 3 months I guess. I've hit a plateau but I think you're right, I need to keep going till I am a bit leaner.

Also, I agree with the posts about women not caring how I look. They care more about confidence, you are correct, so I should do this for ME. Agreed.

These bodyfat scales definitely aren't accurate, I think you're right.

Hey Guitar, why is it easier to bulk when you're 10% BF? What makes it easier?

Thanks,

EC

The fatter get fatter a lot easier than the lean people. So on a bulk you want to gain weight. Well if your already fat to start than it will be easier to gain even more fat. Lean people on the other hand will not.

Eric Cartman
08-13-2008, 12:47 PM
What is the scientific reason for that?

ryuage
08-13-2008, 01:28 PM
p-ratio

Holto
08-13-2008, 02:40 PM
What is the scientific reason for that?

Insulin sensitivity would be one.

Eric Cartman
09-27-2008, 10:53 AM
UPDATE:

It is a few months later and I am only down to 180 LBS, and the scale says 18% Bodyfat.. but I measured my waist at 35 inches still...

If I continue at this rate, I might be down to 175 in about 2 months or so...

I'm getting a little impatient and starting to dream about cheeseburgers and stuff...

Would a 2 month bulk be bad at this point? :)

Jilla82
09-28-2008, 09:17 AM
hmmm...we were about the same size (6'1 185)...I tried cutting for a little bit, I got slimmer, but it was still hard because there wasnt enough muscle on my body. So I just said F' it and began to bulk. Im a month into it and am pretty happy w/ the results. Im about 200lbs now and can see a little fat gain...but it doesnt matter imo, summer is over.

I say worry about losing weight next year before it gets hot again

edit: put a picture up...my waist was around 32 or 33 when I started the bulk...and I can still fit into my jeans (though my thighs are barely making it). So maybe you have more fat than i do

Ben Moore
09-28-2008, 09:33 AM
Dude - take a day, eat whatever in the hell you want and get the cravings out of the way. You'll jump start your metabolism and feel a little more satisfied. Then jump back on the diet train.

Also, post pics if you want some accurate criticism instead of the faux internet cheering you're getting now.

dumbbell
09-28-2008, 05:25 PM
What is the goal that you had hoped to achieve with this cut?

Did you achieve it?

You have to have an end goal to focus on. As you get closer to it you will find that the success that you achieve will be your motivation to continue onward and actually reach it.

After you succeed in reaching your goal then you can pat yourself on the back, pick a new target, and then nail it.

It applies to cutting, bulking, and even weight on the bar. Set a PR, then hit it. Otherwise you will never stay with anything long enough to see any actual results.

Who cares what we think anyways? You're the one who must set your own goals for yourself.

So I ask again. Did you reach YOUR goal with this cut?

dumbbell
09-28-2008, 05:40 PM
:hello:
If it's just encouragement you are looking for, I'm sure that we can help with that.
:clap:
But it still helps to know your end goal in this endeavor to help you out.

Congrats on the weight you've lost already, by the way. Calorie restriction is a real b**** for any one.

Check out Bigbadwolfe's thread "Well Ladies and Gentlemen it is Official :)" for some real inspiration. :thumbup:

Eric Cartman
09-28-2008, 10:22 PM
My goal was to get my waist to 33 inches, but it currently still about 35, or a bit more, depending on how tight I pull the tape measure :)

The point of my goal was to have a lean foundation to bulk on, so that I would always be in good shape, even during my bulk cycles... I didn't want to keep getting a beer belly appearance from bulking...

So yes, based on that I should keep cutting till I really start to see results...

According to my calculations, I've gone from 24% to 19% bodyfat without losing any muscle, but that took 4 months...

My concerns is that going from 19% to lower will take a long time and eventually my metabolism will slow down too much from eating less and less food...

The trainer I was working with said my goal should be 175 lbs, and having 146 lbs of LBM.. I'm approaching those numbers, weighing in at 178.5 lbs this morning!!! ..but still look like a slightly fat beer drinker with muscles.. which confuses me..

I'm not really into posting pics of myself, but it might have to in order to get opinions..

EC

Jilla82
09-28-2008, 11:35 PM
hey...what are your lift numbers?

ArjunDhir
09-28-2008, 11:42 PM
Really bud, all you have to do is take a picture and block out your face on paint. It's an online forum, its not as if we know you in real life or anything.

We're all here to help, and having a picture to work off helps us help more effectively.

Eric Cartman
09-29-2008, 09:38 AM
I don't think pictures are necessary,.. waist is about 35-36 inches... BF is about 19%.. people understand what that means...

Eric Cartman
09-29-2008, 09:40 AM
hey...what are your lift numbers?

Bench Press 150 Lbs
Squat 180 Lbs
Shoulder Press 90 Lbs
Bicep Curl 70 LBS (total)

Eric Cartman
10-14-2008, 08:19 PM
UPDATE:

Down to 176 LBS... waist around 34 inches now...BF% probably around 18...

Its been 4-5 months of cutting, and Im just now starting to see some real results...

Don't know how much longer I can keep this up!!! :(