PDA

View Full Version : Deadlifts today

BigTallOx
08-11-2008, 03:21 PM
I guess first I should post some background on me. I've been lifting weights for quite a few years. Back when I was in college ( 20 years ago ) I worked out with some powerlifting friends and worked squats/bench/deads. I never competed or anything back then, and eventually after I finished college my workouts changed to a more body builder type workout ( even though Im not a body builder, lol ). That was until a couple months ago. Since then, I've gone back to doing mostly squats/bench/deads, and I've found a group of power lifters to workout with. Also it looks like I'm going to my first meet in about 2 weeks. Life is good...

Anyway, until today I have been pretty much only working form on deads and sticking to light weight. Last workout, I had very knowledgeable guy watch my deadlift form ( still light weight ) and he made some suggestions. After a few warm up sets ( focusing on the suggestions he made ) I decided to up the weight a little, 315x6 no problem, 335x5 no problem, 355x4 no problem, 365x3 no problem, 385x2 felt awesome, actually *really* awesome. ( Man, dead lifts make you feel great, lol ) I was going to try 405, but at that point decided that I had done too much volume ( I guess I should have up the weight in bigger increments, well maybe no, this was after doing squats too ), so I stopped. But from how 385 felt I think eventually I'll be able to pull a lot more. I guess today wasn't a PR because 20 years ago Im sure I pulled more ( but don't actually remember the numbers anymore), so I guess it still kind of is PR ( but I suspect not for long ).

Ben Moore
08-11-2008, 03:24 PM
Was there a question or just letting us know about a PR - I'm confused =0

BigTallOx
08-11-2008, 03:32 PM
Was there a question or just letting us know about a PR - I'm confused =0

Sorry, no question. Just rambling after feeling really good after a workout.

Ben Moore
08-11-2008, 03:34 PM
Nice - ramble on then - nice work man! Especially for your height :omg:

Chris Rodgers
08-11-2008, 03:48 PM
Nice - ramble on then - nice work man! Especially for your height :omg:

That's a new one. I usually get "you're strong, especially for your weight". Height is a new one. :)

Good work man. You did a lot of volume. If you are feeling good with your form, then next time just make some bigger jumps and get 400+ on that bar!

BigTallOx
08-11-2008, 03:54 PM
That's a new one. I usually get "you're strong, especially for your weight". Height is a new one. :)

Good work man. You did a lot of volume. If you are feeling good with your form, then next time just make some bigger jumps and get 400+ on that bar!

My height is not an advantage in this sport. But it's less of a disadvantage for deadlifts than for bench. I try not to focus on that though, and just lift.

Yeah, I agree, next workout, bigger jumps, absolutely!

Chris Rodgers
08-11-2008, 04:13 PM
My height is not an advantage in this sport. But it's less of a disadvantage for deadlifts than for bench. I try not to focus on that though, and just lift.

Yeah, I agree, next workout, bigger jumps, absolutely!

Yea, squatting/benching is not ideal for someone your height(unless you weigh ~450+). If you are built right, you can have some great leverages for pulling though.

We had this kid from Africa training with us for a few weeks. I believe he was 7'4" or so and he only weighed 185!! :omg: His elbows would hit the floor when he benched, lol. Bad leverages. :tuttut: