PDA

View Full Version : Low Sodium pasta sauce?

b1982
08-12-2008, 02:20 PM
Is there such a thing? i've always thought eating some wheat penne with some pasta sauce and lean ground turkey was a good mid-day meal, but I recently realized that the sauce is pretty damn high in sodium...510mg per serving to be exact.

first off, is this even considered high in a bad way? i'm trying to lean up and cut body fat % a little, but not go extreme as to cut out all carbs...hence, the midday pasta meal for energy.

thoughts?

Gable
08-12-2008, 02:27 PM
I would just suggest using less sauce.

I will make a batch of whole wheat penne, with lean ground turkey and just add a little bit of sauce.. it tastes fine to me... and has pretty decent macros..

I bet you can find low sodium sauce, they make everything lowfat/sodium/carb/whatever now a days.

hellagrant
08-12-2008, 05:07 PM
I looked for awhile and the selection of low sodium or low anything pasta sauce is extremely limited. I learned to make my own pasta sauce which allows me to control the sodium level. I would highly recommended you giving this a shot. Does take extra time preparing the meal, but you can just make a huge batch and put the rest in the refrigerator.

Try this website

allrecipes.com/Recipes/Pasta/Pasta-Sauces/Main.aspx

sorry I can't post links till I get 10 posts :(

cphafner
08-12-2008, 06:16 PM
make it yourself.

I made meatballs last night. I used a can of low sodium tomato sauce and diced tomatoes. Worked for me.

ryuage
08-12-2008, 09:24 PM
whats wrong with sodium

cphafner
08-12-2008, 09:26 PM
whats wrong with sodium

Really nothing unless you're doing a show/photo shoot.