PDA

View Full Version : 16 y/o curious about Oly Lifting

GutRott
08-12-2008, 06:02 PM
I am looking in getting into Oly lifting. I am a member on bodybuilding.com and people are suggesting me doing a 3 day routine where I do snatch, clean n jerk and squats every day alternating from back and front squats every other day.

My question is should'nt I be doing other lifts to help out my snatch and CnJ? For example the deadlift, clean to push presses and also the high pull?

Please answer quickly I am going away tomorrow for a week and I would like to know before......

Travis Bell
08-12-2008, 06:13 PM
One of our members here (Fuzzy) might be able to explain this better than myself but generally the feeling is that the lifts are so incredibly technical, they need to be practiced over and over and over again, just not with maximal weights

That said I am a bencher so take what I say with a grain of salt

GutRott
08-12-2008, 09:06 PM
Bump

JHarris
08-12-2008, 09:19 PM
Beginners need a lot of work with just the lifts themselves, along with remedial work in squatting, front squatting and backsquatting. As far as deadlifting goes.. no. The pull in olympic lifting is very different from a deadlift, and really is the main focus of much of your technique work in the sport.

As you get a bit better at the sport, you start identifying specific weaknesses in technique and strength. But for the first few months, you need to do the lifts. I'd highly recommend starting the lifts from the hang as taking it from the floor will only make your form worse. That all being said, you should find a coach. No one teaches themselves the lifts well, and if you really want to get into it, you need a lot of proper instruction.

There's an old saying in weightlifting: You have 10 years in the sport; the first 5 are to figure out how to lift, and the second 5 are to figure out how much you can lift. Its a very, very technically demanding sport that takes a lot of time to get very good at.

KingJustin
08-12-2008, 09:36 PM
Yeah, you really need to work with a coach.

Front squats, back squats, overhead squats, cleans, jerks and snatches.

Those need to be your focus.

thewicked
08-12-2008, 11:28 PM
yeah i'd talk to fuzzy..

thewicked
08-12-2008, 11:36 PM
well i say that..

i do one of my clients this way and he's making HUGE gains in all his lifts..

a week's example..

week one

day 1: front squats for a 5 rep max
day 3: power cleans for a max triple with power shrugs for a max triple/ same for hang cleans
day 5: push presses for a max single and deas for a 5 rep max

week 2

day 1: front squats for a max single
day 3: power cleans for a 5 rep max/ same for power shrugs/same for hang cleans
day 5: max push press and deads for a 3 rep max

week 3

day 1: front squats for a max triple
day 3: power cleans for a max single/same for power shrugs/same for hang cleans
day 5: 5 rep push press max/ same for deads...

VERY simple rotation and is working well for him.. he gains about 10-30lbs on his bigger lifts every 4-6 weeks. kid is a phenom at only 19! we throw in alot of accessory work in there but he seems to be handling it no problem. We do the same rotation on his benching and it's putting him up there FAST! went from 175 to 245 in 8 weeks! I think alot of it has to do with the fact that he's just that athletic and gifted but then again he busts his ass in the gym. Soccer player of all things.

again it's just a simple layout iv'e been running through with him and it works.. so it's worth mentioning.

GutRott
08-13-2008, 08:47 AM
^^^^ Thanks bro that gives me some ideas. I did pm fuzzy so ill see what hes got to say.

Brad08
08-13-2008, 10:16 AM
I'd suggest visiting danjohn.org and downloading his FREE booklet, From the Ground Up! (http://danjohn.org/book.html) It covers a LOT of ground and has a lot of valuable tips for beginning o-lifters, and lifters in general. Chapters 2 & 3 have a couple of terrific workout plans.

markdk86
08-13-2008, 10:31 AM
Get a coach before you hurt yourself. Seriously.