PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol and Glycogen Depletion...need some help for tonight

waly01
08-14-2008, 07:48 AM
Let me start by saying that I know there are a lot of threads already regarding alcohol and I've read them all. My problem is a little different in that I have no problem giving alcohol up in general, this is more for an isolated situation.

I'm currently following Lyle Mcdonald's Ultimate Diet 2.0. If your not familiar with it, I'll give you a crude rundown. It calls for several days of low carb dieting and wieght training geared towards muscle glycogen depletion which leads up to a carb load and a day or two of anabolic lifting aimed at preventing as much muscle loss as possible from the dieting phase. I'm currently right in the middle of the glycogen depeletion stage when yesterday I was invited out to dinner with my boss and his brokers which is a very big deal for someone in my position. I know they'll go out to a nice dinner and it'll be followed by heavy drinking which I'll be expected to partake in. I know you'll say just tell them you don't drink, but trust me on this when I say that it is really not an option here(Granted I know I always have an option, but it in a job where image is everything, it would be extrmely bad to go and not join them) I haven't drank in months, so it's not really an issue for me..but tonight I know i'll have to for the benefit of my career.

My question is what are the effects of alcohol (namley vodka and some wine) on my glycogen depletion. Will the alcohol be broken down and used to refill muscle glycogen? How does the body handle alcohol? Also, how detrimental do you think 8-15 drinks will be to the diet?

Thanks guys. All help is appreciated.

Willie
08-14-2008, 09:01 AM
yesterday I was invited out to dinner with my boss and his brokers which is a very big deal for someone in my position. I know they'll go out to a nice dinner and it'll be followed by heavy drinking which I'll be expected to partake in.

These are the two words that stand out for me. A beer or two isn't going to kill your training (neither is a glass of wine or a couple shots), but it certainly isn't going to help it.

However, HEAVY drinking is just bad all around. Trust me, I've done my share.

Personally, I'd find a new job if your boss doesn't understand "I'm not drinking for health/ fitness reasons"....screw what they think the image should be.

Now,(getting off my off my soap box) what you can do is:

Don't partake, but come up with a good excuse "Doctor prescribed some meds that are contraindicated for booze...sorry!"

OR:

Talk to the bartender/waiter privately, and have them deliver you a club soda with a lime or lemon slice (that looks like a real drink) regardless of what you order.

good luck.

BFGUITAR
08-14-2008, 09:35 AM
8-15 drinks? Completely screw it up. In your carb depleted state it won't take a lot to get you drunk first of all. Second, alcohol gets converted to fat so I don't think it wold fill your glyocogen stores. Wine and beer are the worst choices possible. Sick to low carb rum. Bacardi and diet coke is only 65 calories for a 175mL serving (that's one shot of rum).

Unreal
08-15-2008, 07:35 AM
One of the first rules of a good job, never get drunk at a company party or with your boss. Having 2-3 drinks out with the guy is cool, having 8-15 is just plain stupid. As for the diet, yes it will mess it up. If you plan on drinking just take the time off, and restart it after. I would start carbing up the day of so the alcohol doesn't completely take you out.

TopCat
08-15-2008, 08:57 AM
8-15 drinks? Completely screw it up. In your carb depleted state it won't take a lot to get you drunk first of all. Second, alcohol gets converted to fat so I don't think it wold fill your glyocogen stores. Wine and beer are the worst choices possible. Sick to low carb rum. Bacardi and diet coke is only 65 calories for a 175mL serving (that's one shot of rum).

Yep, I tried having 1-2 drinks once while I was on a depleted day... ****ED me up! I mean, I felt the worst I ever had the next day so I just cut the week there and tried to recoup.

Gable
08-15-2008, 10:56 AM
One of the first rules of a good job, never get drunk at a company party or with your boss. Having 2-3 drinks out with the guy is cool, having 8-15 is just plain stupid. As for the diet, yes it will mess it up. If you plan on drinking just take the time off, and restart it after. I would start carbing up the day of so the alcohol doesn't completely take you out.

I agree. Getting wasted with your boss is foolish, IMO.

Stand up and tell them you aren't drinking now, because you are dedicated to your current goals. If they look down on your for that, I say EFF EM! I wouldn't want to work for someone who disrespects my personal goals.

But thats just me.

Good luck~