PDA

View Full Version : Running for PRT

Steve24
08-14-2008, 12:27 PM
Hey guys... I'm doing my military PRT, trying to get commissioned in the USN, this winter and I'm just starting to tailor some of my training to succeed with different aspects of this test. The test is max push ups in 2 minutes, max "curl ups" (sit ups) in 2 minutes and a 1.5 mile run.

The run is the major thing I'm worried about. This summer I've been running a lot of 2.7-3.4 milers but I hardly time myself but I'm around the 8-8:20 mile/min mark for a run of that distance. I tested myself with the 1.5 mile yesterday and ran it in 11:15. I'm looking to break the 10 minute barrier with the 1.5 mile by the winter test. My problem is I don't really get into a rhythm with breathing till about the mile mark when I finally calm down and take my mind off of things. By the time that happens the test will be almost over. How can I get into that rhythm faster and more efficiently? I think I need to start off a little slower and then build up throughout the entire distance. (?)

Another thing is I was planning splitting my training into the 1.5 mile top speed and then the 3 mile slower pace alternating between the two. Is this the most effective way of doing things?

Thanks in advance!

KingJustin
08-14-2008, 01:57 PM
You should just do CrossFit and your conditioning will fall into place.

http://www.crossfit.com

Eric Downey
08-22-2008, 07:16 PM
if you have time and can run 3 miles. runa mile for warm-up to creat a heart rate and then run you 1.5 and see how you feel? also i have some workouts i can send you. i train my swat team for the agency i work for. PM me your email address.