PDA

View Full Version : knee wraps

roots
08-15-2008, 12:43 AM
when should i be concerned with adding wraps to my knees for squatting, before i have any problems? My 5RM is 275 currently ....

Rusty
08-15-2008, 05:34 AM
Whenever you want to squat more.

Ben Moore
08-15-2008, 06:21 AM
Whenever you want to squat more.

Is there a time when you don't?:moon:

Seriously - it's a preference thing. I didn't start with them until I felt my squat was at a decent level for me. They're a tool in the arsenal.

samj
08-15-2008, 06:38 AM
Do they add much weight? I cant wait to get some. Anyone recommend some? 2.5m

Lones Green
08-15-2008, 06:40 AM
Do they add much weight? I cant wait to get some. Anyone recommend some? 2.5m

i have the APT ZRV 3m, i love them. my legs are huge though, if you have normal size legs 2.5 is fine. the weight they add will be different for each person.

i've heard some CRAZY numbers people have said Sam Byrd gets from his. maybe he'll get on here and tell us his self!!!

samj
08-15-2008, 07:46 AM
would you say 45lbs more at most? dont know if i should get 3m or 2.5 anyway thanks for all your time lonesxedge:hello:

AdamBAG
08-15-2008, 07:53 AM
would you say 45lbs more at most? dont know if i should get 3m or 2.5 anyway thanks for all your time lonesxedge:hello:

Figure out what is legal in your Federation. Some don't allow the 3m ones.

I usually put wraps on only when I'm free squatting and usually only for my last one or two attempts.

deeder
08-15-2008, 08:25 AM
I'd say I get about 50lbs out of mine and I train with a guy who claims he gets 80lbs out of his. We both wear Metal All Black wraps.

Ben Moore
08-15-2008, 08:26 AM
50-75lbs is pretty normal. I have the APT Black Reaper 2.5m and love them!

BFGUITAR
08-15-2008, 09:17 AM
If you do get them, get at least 2.5m

I have a fat knee (naturally) and I bought the 2m ones. I don't know how you guys can get 50lbs using these, perhaps I need a longer one and practice wrapping.

samj
08-15-2008, 09:29 AM
Thanks for all the input guys

Reko
08-15-2008, 10:06 AM

I have a fat knee (naturally) and I bought the 2m ones. I don't know how you guys can get 50lbs using these, perhaps I need a longer one and practice wrapping.

How do you wrap them? Are you really cranking them down tight?

Rusty
08-15-2008, 10:10 AM

Chances are that you're not doing them tight enough. A good wrap job will have you in an intense amount of pain.

You need to check with your federation to see what they allow. IPF only allows 2M.

BFGUITAR
08-15-2008, 11:23 AM
I may not be doing them tight enough. When ever I do any leg exercise I only wrap my right and not tightly (don't need to). When I squatted with them I was new to using them so maybe I didnt wrap them tight enough. I'm going to wrap the hell out of them next time.

Lones Green
08-15-2008, 12:16 PM
you should want to cry. whenever i get mine wrapped i think the same thing every time, i f****** hate knee wraps.

Reko
08-15-2008, 12:58 PM
Hehe, I love knee wraps!

BF - you only wrap one knee? Wrap both and get them really tight. There was a thread not too long ago (maybe you started it?) about knee wraps and there were soem videos posted on there. To save time I do a straight wrap up, criss cross over the patella, then wrap as many times at the top as i can before tucking.

I use 2.5m apt black reapers

littleguy5000
08-15-2008, 01:01 PM
tp5000's are the best but they cost around 80 dollars but you get what you pay for.

BFGUITAR
08-15-2008, 01:01 PM
I wrap my right knee only when ever I do anything other than squats or deadlifts that involves legs. I don't wrap it tightly. It is due to patellar tendinitis, it relieves any pain significantly.

I do exactly what you do but I can only wrap it once before I need to tuck :(
Damn fat knees. I will try and wrap it tighter for my squats/deadlifts.

Reko
08-15-2008, 01:07 PM
I don't wrap them for DLS, I think deeder does (or maybe its detard, I can't remember). Just on squats.

How big around are your knees (height/weight?) and what wraps/how long do you have?

BFGUITAR
08-15-2008, 03:25 PM
I am 5'11, 180 lbs around 14% bf. When measuring directly over the knee cap it's 15.5 inches (about the same under the knee). I use Inzer 2m wraps.

I basically wrap it once under the knee, x over the knee cap and one wrap on my thigh (which I stick the rest of the wrap under). My thigh is significantly larger than my knee lol.

Reko
08-15-2008, 03:27 PM
So your skin is showing then when you wrap them?

BFGUITAR
08-15-2008, 03:37 PM
Above my knee it does sometimes (only when I bend my knee). I feel if I had one more wrap I would be money.

But than again, I don't wrap the **** out of them like you guys! Next time I wrap them I will.

Reko
08-15-2008, 03:42 PM
I used to use inzer 2m, and I would get about 6 wraps (4 up, then 2 around the top then a tuck) I think. I didn't have enough material to criss cross them well enough like i do with the 2.5M, make a HUGE difference in tightness if you crank them down vs a straight wrap, IMO.

Lones Green
08-15-2008, 05:08 PM
I used to use inzer 2m, and I would get about 6 wraps (4 up, then 2 around the top then a tuck) I think. I didn't have enough material to criss cross them well enough like i do with the 2.5M, make a HUGE difference in tightness if you crank them down vs a straight wrap, IMO.

my first wraps were the inzer 2m's, i got about 1 1/2 wraps around the knee. LOL. they were good wraps, just not long enough.

waynedang
08-15-2008, 05:46 PM
Like someone said you can always get a deal on APT wraps. Here is the latest deal

Alan from APT Pro Lifting Gear 15 Aug 2008
Please read carefully to collect your Gift Gear

New Products added,........MANY new Excellent Products
http://prowriststraps.com/new_products

15% off & a F*R_E^E set of 12" Wrist Wraps and 1-1/2" wide Basic Lifting Straps
(No minimum order amount) (Do not add the free gear to your cart, we'll just send it)
(This offer expires when you stop using it,...so keep using it and we'll keep it active)

1- Use the discount code of 2FREE (no space in code) in the "Discount Code Area"
when checking out online. www.ProWristStraps.com/Strore

2- In the "Comments" section tell us what set of 12" Wrist Wraps you want by NAME.
(Does not include the 2XH or 3XH wrist wraps)

If you place at least a $50 order (not including S/H & discount) we'll send you a 20" or 24"
set of Wrist Wraps instead of a 12" set. Place at least a $75 order and we'll send you a 36"
set of Wrist Wraps instead of the 12" or 20"/24".
(again, does not include the 2XH or 3XH wrist wraps)

Thats it, your done, simple and you get your order and no charge gift gear.

http://prowriststraps.com/buy_1_get_1_free Buy 1 and get the 2nd set at no charge

Also, don't miss the Westside Barbell 2008 Power Station Powerlifting Meet
APT Pro Gear is a proud Sponsor of this event,....SEE YOU THERE!!!
AUG 22-24 08 Westside Barbell 2008 Power Station Powerlifting Meet

APT Pro Lifting Gear
www.ProWristStraps.com

Alan P. Thomas
CPL, USMC 1991-1995

19 Baron Park Dr
Unit 103
Fredericksburg, VA 22405
1-888-236-1258

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Detard
08-15-2008, 05:54 PM
I don't wrap them for DLS, I think deeder does (or maybe its detard, I can't remember). Just on squats.

How big around are your knees (height/weight?) and what wraps/how long do you have?

Yeah I pull with knee wraps sometimes(on PR attempts only). I feel it gives me a little more pop off the floor. Just my preference though.

jbrin0tk
08-15-2008, 05:56 PM
Hey, Wayne, what is the Fredericksburg address at the bottom of your last post for? Fred is right up the street from me and I went to college there. I'm sorry if I've misunderstood you. Thanks for your help, man.

Edit: Nevermind, I had no idea APT was located right around the corner from me! Do they have an actual physical store that you can go in and shop at, or would you know?

waynedang
08-15-2008, 06:29 PM
Hey, Wayne, what is the Fredericksburg address at the bottom of your last post for? Fred is right up the street from me and I went to college there. I'm sorry if I've misunderstood you. Thanks for your help, man.

Edit: Nevermind, I had no idea APT was located right around the corner from me! Do they have an actual physical store that you can go in and shop at, or would you know?

Shoot Alan an Email. He is a pretty good guy he might let you check out some equip.

jAy_Dub
09-10-2008, 09:42 PM
Hey guys I know nothing about knee wraps or any powerlifting gear at all. My left knee has been bothering me for a while now and I need to do something before it gets worse, what would you guys recommend? Are the wraps being talked about in this thread what I need? I'm strictly looking for something to help with pain...

Reko
09-10-2008, 09:43 PM
I would say get it checked out first ,and if you are still ok to lift, knee sleeves and linamint would probably be better.

jAy_Dub
09-10-2008, 09:50 PM
Thanks bro I'll check into that.

cunniff1981
09-10-2008, 11:07 PM
my first wraps were the inzer 2m's, i got about 1 1/2 wraps around the knee. LOL. they were good wraps, just not long enough.

I have 2m wraps and I can cross over the knee 4x (2 either side of the kneecap) after wrapping around. They get looser the more that I use them and no doubt in the near future 5x will come. Just pull tighter!!!

Lones Green
09-11-2008, 03:16 AM
I have 2m wraps and I can cross over the knee 4x (2 either side of the kneecap) after wrapping around. They get looser the more that I use them and no doubt in the near future 5x will come. Just pull tighter!!!

i have 3 meter ZRV's now so its not a problem

=Travis=
09-11-2008, 08:01 AM
Hey guys I know nothing about knee wraps or any powerlifting gear at all. My left knee has been bothering me for a while now and I need to do something before it gets worse, what would you guys recommend? Are the wraps being talked about in this thread what I need? I'm strictly looking for something to help with pain...

I'd say lay off a little and see if the pain lets up.
Also, make sure your knees aren't coming in on your way up, push them out. Sometimes even if this happens to me for a couple of my heaviest reps, I will feel it the next day.
You want sleeves, not wraps. I'd reccomend the Rehband sleeves to keep your knees warm while squatting. When I'm having knee issues, the warmth from the sleeves helps quite a bit. Make sure you warm up enough as well.