PDA

View Full Version : Heavy Negative Squats, thoughts?

BFGUITAR
08-15-2008, 11:32 AM
I have had great success with heavy negative bench. I lower the bar slowly to my chest over a span of 6-8 seconds. Once it touches my chest I hold it until I feel like I'm going to lose tightness. At that point my spotter just about deadlifts it off my chest. I only do one of these every 1-2 weeks or when I feel I need it.

Could this my applied to a squat in a sense? Of course I wouldn't have a spotter help me up with the weight but rather spend lots of time going down to parallel. Once you hit depth you hold it for as long as you can and than just drop to the pins set slightly below parallel. I am not sure if this is safe or not but the whole idea I guess would be to remain tight with weight you have never done before.

What do you guys think?

Lones Green
08-15-2008, 12:14 PM
i probably wouldn't do them.

Auburn
08-15-2008, 12:23 PM
It's used in Smolov cycles. Those seem to be pretty money. Although, it may be an insignificant part, but who knows?

Travis Bell
08-15-2008, 12:31 PM
no, bad idea

I think negatives as a whole are a poor choice. they teach you to descend at a slower rate and can really predispose you to injury

Ben Moore
08-15-2008, 01:43 PM
If you are put in a bad position on the way down you are setting yourself up for injury. I wouldn't.

Detard
08-15-2008, 02:16 PM
I feel bad for your spotter having to deadlift a BB off your chest. You tell him what your doing at least, right?

AdamBAG
08-15-2008, 02:38 PM
In general I don't like negatives, but negatives for squats just sound scary to me. Using some type of accomadating resistance sounds like a better idea to me.

BFGUITAR
08-15-2008, 02:42 PM
I feel bad for your spotter having to deadlift a BB off your chest. You tell him what your doing at least, right?

Of course, I plan it ahead of time.

Sensei
08-15-2008, 02:46 PM
Don't.

Bands, chains, weight releasers, etc. are all much better ideas.