PDA

View Full Version : Reverse-grip Bench Press

Addison K.
08-15-2008, 11:47 AM
I recently re-read an article in PL USA about reverse-grip bench press.

After reading the article, I decided to give them a try on Wednesday because my close-grip bench press is stronger than wider grips.

The groove was different for sure, but I did feel more explosive/powerful.

Do any of you guys compete with a reverse-grip or use it in training?

AK

toonlad
08-15-2008, 11:57 AM
i havent tried that but the thought of it sounds very tough

mike42506
08-15-2008, 12:01 PM
That seems awkward =/

Travis Bell
08-15-2008, 12:36 PM
If you plan on competing, some federations won't allow reverse grip bench. If you plan on wearing a bench shirt, again, the groove will be so significantly different there would not be much if any carryover.

That said, the only person I know who used it alot was Phil Harrington. He had some pretty bad shoulder injuries in the past so he found that using reverse grip bench helped. That was quite a few years ago though. We actually looked at it as a bad habit to be honest.

I don't know about using it as an ascessory exercise though. I'd probably rather just use boards, floor press and specific tricep exercises instead

drew
08-15-2008, 12:46 PM
I believe Anthony Clark competed with Reverse grip, and he was pretty successful.

I've done it before and didn't really enjoy it. I think I was doing about 20 lbs less than a regular bench. This was at least 3 years ago.

waynedang
08-15-2008, 12:57 PM
Anthony Clark benched rev grip. Some feds won't allow it. I did it years ago because AC did it. I have only played around with it lately with really light weight. I always think about trying heavy rev grip but never pull the trigger. Maybe I will try it next week and see how it feels. I have no meets in sight for a while so I might play around with some different things.

littleguy5000
08-15-2008, 01:07 PM
sounds like a good way to hurt yourself

drew
08-15-2008, 01:21 PM
Anthony Clark benched rev grip. Some feds won't allow it. I did it years ago because AC did it. I have only played around with it lately with really light weight. I always think about trying heavy rev grip but never pull the trigger. Maybe I will try it next week and see how it feels. I have no meets in sight for a while so I might play around with some different things.

Wayne, don't kill yourself man. lol

Guido
08-15-2008, 02:13 PM
I would be hesitant to try it with heavy weights, myself. Light weights might be okay, but make sure you have really good spotters.

waynedang
08-15-2008, 03:20 PM
Wayne, don't kill yourself man. lol

I have good spotters :evillaugh:. I doubt I get that heavy anyway. It's tough to get my hands turned out far enough to get the bar now. maybe after my raw work on Tuesday I will see how they feel I will let you guys know.

Addison K.
08-19-2008, 02:37 PM
If you plan on competing, some federations won't allow reverse grip bench. If you plan on wearing a bench shirt, again, the groove will be so significantly different there would not be much if any carryover.

That said, the only person I know who used it alot was Phil Harrington. He had some pretty bad shoulder injuries in the past so he found that using reverse grip bench helped. That was quite a few years ago though. We actually looked at it as a bad habit to be honest.

I don't know about using it as an ascessory exercise though. I'd probably rather just use boards, floor press and specific tricep exercises instead

I'm training my raw bench press right now and my wide-grip bench press sucks, so that's why I'm trying it out.

I also have long arms (my wingspan is greater than my height) and I'm always looking for a way to bench press more efficiently.

AK

Addison K.
08-19-2008, 02:38 PM

Let me know how it goes.

AK

NASAKYCHAIRMAN
08-20-2008, 07:50 AM
I recently re-read an article in PL USA about reverse-grip bench press.

After reading the article, I decided to give them a try on Wednesday because my close-grip bench press is stronger than wider grips.

The groove was different for sure, but I did feel more explosive/powerful.

Do any of you guys compete with a reverse-grip or use it in training?

AK

Reverse-grip is banned in several federations.

I don't do heavy reverse grip bench press because I suffered a strain tricep a few years ago. I suggest going light instead of heavy.

TRAIN HARD

"BIG WILLIE" J.T. HALL
GOT MAXIMUM MASS STACK?
http://www.youtube.com/user/NASAKYCHAIRMAN

Addison K.
09-01-2008, 09:52 PM
Reverse-grip is banned in several federations.

I don't do heavy reverse grip bench press because I suffered a strain tricep a few years ago. I suggest going light instead of heavy.

TRAIN HARD

"BIG WILLIE" J.T. HALL
GOT MAXIMUM MASS STACK?
http://www.youtube.com/user/NASAKYCHAIRMAN

What type of rep/set scheme do you recommend?

AK

waynedang
09-02-2008, 06:46 PM
I messed around with this today. I am too old and not flexible enough for these anymore. I have a hard time getting a grip as my hands won't rotate out enough. Oh well I tried!

NASAKYCHAIRMAN
09-03-2008, 05:32 AM
What type of rep/set scheme do you recommend?

AK

I strained my tricep by doing the pyramid rep/set scheme. I suggest trying 4 sets x 8-10 reps.

TRAIN HARD

"BIG WILLIE" J.T. HALL
GOT MAXIMUM MASS STACK?

Addison K.
09-03-2008, 01:08 PM
I messed around with this today. I am too old and not flexible enough for these anymore. I have a hard time getting a grip as my hands won't rotate out enough. Oh well I tried!

What set/rep scheme did you use?

AK

Addison K.
09-03-2008, 01:10 PM
I strained my tricep by doing the pyramid rep/set scheme. I suggest trying 4 sets x 8-10 reps.

TRAIN HARD

"BIG WILLIE" J.T. HALL
GOT MAXIMUM MASS STACK?

How heavy did you go?

After I warmed-up, I hit 3x5 when I did them.

Next time I train with a partner, I'll try them for higher reps as you suggest.

AK

NASAKYCHAIRMAN
09-03-2008, 01:22 PM
How heavy did you go?

After I warmed-up, I hit 3x5 when I did them.

Next time I train with a partner, I'll try them for higher reps as you suggest.

AK

I don't remember the exact weight, but it was more than 400.

TRAIN HARD

"BIG WILLIE" J.T. HALL
GOT MAXIMUM MASS STACK?

Addison K.
09-03-2008, 06:35 PM
I don't remember the exact weight, but it was more than 400.

TRAIN HARD

"BIG WILLIE" J.T. HALL
GOT MAXIMUM MASS STACK?

Over 4 bills is a strong reverse-grip bench press! :strong:

AK

NASAKYCHAIRMAN
09-04-2008, 05:57 AM
Over 4 bills is a strong reverse-grip bench press! :strong:

AK

I paid the ultimate price with a strain tricep tendon. I won't go that path never again!

TRAIN HARD

"BIG WILLIE" J.T. HALL
GOT MAXIMUM MASS STACK?

SoreFoot8343
09-06-2008, 07:29 PM
I've used reverse on my speed days. Usually do up to 200lb reverse. I just worry bout the bar slipping and lossing my teeth! Today I tried it doing static holds in a squat rack. I have to say its MUCH easier to support the weight reverse grip than regular! I held up 405 regular grip and it felt like my wrist were going to break but then tried the same weight reverse and it felt so much more confortable/less painfull and easier to stabilize (obviously held for a longer period of time 30 seconds) Just not sure if I want to try and touch that weight w/ reverse grip