PDA

View Full Version : Sumo Deadlifts....any ideas on locking out stronger?

mikesbench
08-16-2008, 04:34 PM
I need to get stronger at about knee height with my sumo pulls. Any suggestions. I included a good attempt at 525 and then a miss just above knees with 560.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4wAGTM2dX0

Ben Moore
08-16-2008, 05:43 PM
Take a vid from the side next time. It almost looks like you're letting your shoulders get in front of the bar. I'm not the worlds best at sumo either as I am switching back to it from conventional, but hopefully some of the better sumo guys will chime in here.

Lones Green
08-16-2008, 06:46 PM
pull more with bands, and chains if you have em.

upper back work will help your lockout as well

mikesbench
08-16-2008, 07:34 PM
Any specific upper back exercises? I've been improving my barbell rows, any others?

Lones Green
08-16-2008, 07:45 PM
kroc rows have helped my lockout TREMENDOUSLY. also, band pull aparts, DB clean and press, even shrugs. DB rows pretty much covered it for me though....for right now.

Ben Moore
08-16-2008, 08:22 PM
Can't go wrong with heavy shrugs either.

littleman19
08-17-2008, 07:53 PM
Take a vid from the side next time. It almost looks like you're letting your shoulders get in front of the bar. I'm not the worlds best at sumo either as I am switching back to it from conventional, but hopefully some of the better sumo guys will chime in here.

your shoulders are getting in front of the bar. i can't tell from this angle, but it is eiter the result of not arching your back enough or simply letting the weight bring them forward. your having to flail your knees out to keep the weight close to you in the beginning of the lift and then having to lean back to pull the weight towards you so you can lock out the weight. 1) you're wasting energy and recruiting muscle fibers you shouldn't have to by having to lean back during the movement 2) you're taking your hips out of the equation because your knees are out. instead of exploding your hips forward to finish the lift, you're having to press your knees in which is why you're struggling with the lockout.

so basically, your either going to have to arch your back a bit more at the beginning of the lift or focus on keeping the shoulders back. the best way to do this (and i recommend this to everyone) is raising your arms out to the sides a bit, flexing your lats and then bringing your arms back in keeping your lats flexed. this will lock your arms in place and keep your shoulders back so the weight won't come forward at all. with your back properly arched, the deadlift will become more of a leg and hip exercise than a back exercise and you can focus more on speed which will only increase your lift even more.

Ben Moore
08-17-2008, 08:14 PM
your shoulders are getting in front of the bar. i can't tell from this angle, but it is eiter the result of not arching your back enough or simply letting the weight bring them forward. your having to flail your knees out to keep the weight close to you in the beginning of the lift and then having to lean back to pull the weight towards you so you can lock out the weight. 1) you're wasting energy and recruiting muscle fibers you shouldn't have to by having to lean back during the movement 2) you're taking your hips out of the equation because your knees are out. instead of exploding your hips forward to finish the lift, you're having to press your knees in which is why you're struggling with the lockout.

so basically, your either going to have to arch your back a bit more at the beginning of the lift or focus on keeping the shoulders back. the best way to do this (and i recommend this to everyone) is raising your arms out to the sides a bit, flexing your lats and then bringing your arms back in keeping your lats flexed. this will lock your arms in place and keep your shoulders back so the weight won't come forward at all. with your back properly arched, the deadlift will become more of a leg and hip exercise than a back exercise and you can focus more on speed which will only increase your lift even more.

For a 16 year old, that was a pretty impressive analysis.

littleman19
08-17-2008, 10:04 PM
For a 16 year old, that was a pretty impressive analysis.

haha thanks, i'll be 17 tuesday :p

bigDman
08-17-2008, 11:20 PM
face pulls and super heavy shrugs. You can try spreading the legs further that will give you more at lockout.

My favorite exercise for lockouts are pulls from a 2 or 4 inch block with chains

Ryan Celli
08-18-2008, 08:12 PM
Looks like your hips are your weak point. try zercher squats to strengthen them. Also try to hit your abs hard and heavy, along with shrugs. add some rack pulls once every 4 weeks or so.
how do you like deadlifting in the canvas? I never wore a canvas suit but I know you won't get any help from it once the bar is above the knees.
hope this helps, Ryan

mikesbench
08-19-2008, 03:37 PM
Thanks for all the input guys. Definitely gves me some ideas of what to work on.

Ryan, I basically use the canvas because I've pulled the most in canvas; but it definitely doesn't gives much after you pop off the floor. I've tried other deadlift specific suits but I can never wear one tight enough to add anything to my pull while still being able to get down and reach the bar to start.

Overall it sounds like I'll have to work on my technique a bit, hit my upper back harder (especially traps since I pound the lats pretty heavy already), do some speed work with bands or chains, and some more hip work.

mikesbench
08-21-2008, 07:32 PM
Well, I added in kroc rows and some heavy barbell shrugs to my lifting yesterday. I definitely could tell these are both tough for me, so I'm hoping that means they'll bring up my weak points. Thanks for the recommendations guys.