PDA

View Full Version : Evaluate my typical cut day!

Eric Cartman
08-17-2008, 09:19 PM
My cut is completely failing, and I can't figure it out.. I'm stuck at 184 lbs, about 20% BF, 6 ft 1 inches, 36 years old..

here is what I did today:

-small bowl of shredded wheat cereal with milk
-protein shake from GNC containing 200 calories
-2 cups of milk with protein powder
-asparagus + 160 calorie turkey burger patty
- corn tortilla chips + can of tuna
- 120 calories of turkey slices
- a few grapes and small amount of cottage cheese

Bench Press: 150 x 9, 150 x 8 150x5
Incline Press 100 x 7
T-bar Row 75x6
Seated Row 100X12
Lat Pull Down 120 X 8

This is a fairly typical day, although I usually do a lot more sets in the gym, today was a shorter workout..

So what am I doing wrong, is this too many calories? I count this around 1300 calories.. if I eat any less I'm gonna lose muscle...

EC

cphafner
08-17-2008, 09:26 PM
If you're not losing weight then it is obviously too many calories. Are you tracking your cals? Try cutting out a bit or increase your cardio a bit. I'm personally not a fan of having milk during a cut. I like to ditch it and just increase protein powder a bit.

WORLD
08-17-2008, 09:38 PM
I agree with Cp about tracking. I recommend either creating a journal in a little book, or tracking on fitday.com. I write down everything I eat, how many calories and how I feel. It really helps me keep track of my calorie intake every single day.

Eric Cartman
08-18-2008, 09:38 AM
The above workout and and eating plan I gave you is fairly typical of what I do every single day,.. very rarely do I eat more calories then that...

So somebody should be able to look at that scheme and tell me if it is flawed, right?

EC

Holto
08-18-2008, 11:35 AM
So somebody should be able to look at that scheme and tell me if it is flawed, right?

Yes, we did. Reduce your daily intake by 300 cals and get back to us.

Tennessee Mike
08-18-2008, 11:53 AM
Cut the dairy out.Its gonna hamper your efforts.Also,make sure you rinse your tuna.And cut out lunchmeats.Only fresh chix/turkey.And tortilla chips have alot of sodium too.Change your protein drink to a low calorie/low carb,and mix with water.Its way too hard to cut while drinking milk.How much cardio are you gettin? Its all about how bad you want it.

Im glad I dont have to deal with eating this way anymore....cutting sux!

Eric Cartman
08-18-2008, 02:18 PM
I had no idea milk was bad for a cutting diet... maybe that is the reason I'm stalling, cause i drink TONS of milk in my diet.. is cottage cheese bad for a cut as well cause its dairy?

As for the suggestion that I cut down to 1000 calories a day, that seems extremely low to me,... is that a suggested calorie deficit for someone of my age and height? (36 yrs, 6 ft 1)

EC

Tennessee Mike
08-18-2008, 03:49 PM
1,000 is really low.Take out all dairy,go to bed hungry,do cardio on an empty stomach in the morning.Start with that.

Notorious
08-18-2008, 06:57 PM
I had no idea milk was bad for a cutting diet... maybe that is the reason I'm stalling, cause i drink TONS of milk in my diet.. is cottage cheese bad for a cut as well cause its dairy?

As for the suggestion that I cut down to 1000 calories a day, that seems extremely low to me,... is that a suggested calorie deficit for someone of my age and height? (36 yrs, 6 ft 1)

EC

Nothing wrong with dairy on a cut...
And it doesn't look like you're getting ANY fat in your diet.
Since you're already so low on calories, I would suggest either going on a PSMF or raising the calories and upping the cardio.

cphafner
08-18-2008, 07:08 PM
Nothing wrong with dairy on a cut...
And it doesn't look like you're getting ANY fat in your diet.
Since you're already so low on calories, I would suggest either going on a PSMF or raising the calories and upping the cardio.

Milk is high in sugar and there are better fat options. Much better foods on a cut than milk. I also like to eat as much as possible on a cut and get as few cals in liquid form.

cphafner
08-18-2008, 07:09 PM

EC

Who said cut to a 1000? We said start reducing by 200-300 cals and then reevaluate. Where are your cals now?

Eric Cartman
08-19-2008, 08:27 AM
Well, it is SKIM milk, if that makes any difference... I will try to reduce the dairy a little bit, and see if it helps...

I calculated my BMR at around 1800 calories, so 1000 is definitely waaaay too low. I think right now I'm eating between 1300-1500 each day, and exercising, so it really doesn't make sense that I've stalled this much...

My waist is 35.5 inches...

EC

jAy_Dub
08-19-2008, 08:47 AM
I agree with what has been said here for the most part and you could probably increase your protein as well, it looks to be on the low side.

brihead301
08-19-2008, 09:10 AM
The only time I "cut" is when I get so damn sick of eating so much food from trying to gain weight.

I eventually just revert back to eating like 5 or 6 times a day, and I eat just enough to feed my appetite. Eating like that causes me to just maintain my weight, and I slowly end up just losing fat and gaining muscle simultaneously.

Holto
08-19-2008, 10:40 AM
I think right now I'm eating between 1300-1500 each day

You can speculate, or you can start counting and gain control. Do it for two weeks and then you can make an informed decision. Right now you're feeling around in the dark.