PDA

View Full Version : raw bench question

xolix
08-19-2008, 08:54 AM
hello , i train my heavy triceps exercise(highboardwork or close grip chainpresssing) after my me work as the 3. exercise . and heavy shoulderpressing after my de bench.

my weakpoint is like the 3boardhigh . whats your opinion , should i train my heavy tris after my de work , because i am fresher there ? or is it ok how i am doing this ?

Travis Bell
08-19-2008, 09:24 AM
No, you should not do anything heavy on DE day.

If you are weak at 3brd height, you should be working on your 2brd, not your 3brd. Use the 2brd for your ME work

Tom Mutaffis
08-19-2008, 09:26 AM
I am sure that you could produce better lifts by training your lockouts after the DE work but would likely end up overworking your triceps. Really depends on your recovery abilities but that routine may lead you to injury...

Travis's advice sounds good.

a.j. schroeder
08-19-2008, 12:44 PM
skip the board pressing for improving the raw bench

xolix
08-19-2008, 02:51 PM
No, you should not do anything heavy on DE day.

If you are weak at 3brd height, you should be working on your 2brd, not your 3brd. Use the 2brd for your ME work

hmmm , but i think its normal at westside to do 2 times tricepswork , one heavy pressing and the other workout extensions...

whats wrong with heavy stuff on de day ?

my template looks like this :
day 1: me (2board/floorpress/benchpress) 3 weeks each exercise 5-3-1rm
dumbbell incline 2 x 8-12
3boardpress 3 x 3-5
lats , light shoulder and upper back and biceps

day 2: de bench 8 x 3
military press 3 x 5-8
bent rows 3 x 8
t-bar rows 2 x 10
jm press 3 x 5
pushdowns 2 x 12
shoulderhorn 2 x 15

Travis Bell
08-19-2008, 04:16 PM
hmmm , but i think its normal at westside to do 2 times tricepswork , one heavy pressing and the other workout extensions...

I'm well aware whats normal at Westside. Just trust me on that one :)

You misunderstood what I was saying. Sure you can work triceps both days but it needs to be lighter on DE day. Thats the whole point of DE day. Heavy shoulder press is not a good idea on DE day. If you really have to do it, do it on ME day but your shoulders get pounded plenty enough from benching

AJ, I'd normally agree with you but I think when 2brd is used properly it can help increase your raw bench. When mine was struggling, I found out that my 2brd was only 10lbs higher than my full range. I really concentrated on my raw 2brd press and it helped my full range bench alot, but I never struggled off the chest either.

sayagain
08-19-2008, 05:06 PM

This made me laugh. I think somebody doesn't realize who he is talking to:)

a.j. schroeder
08-19-2008, 06:32 PM
different stcking points for different folks! i just think you benifit from the full range more so with raw than shirt. if your weak at the bottom or shaky it usually means you got weak lats. not trying to sound like a know it all but never been a fan for raw. just my 2 cents

Eric Downey
08-19-2008, 06:40 PM
different stcking points for different folks! i just think you benifit from the full range more so with raw than shirt. if your weak at the bottom or shaky it usually means you got weak lats. not trying to sound like a know it all but never been a fan for raw. just my 2 cents

Never been a fan for raw. wow i cant wait for Jesse to see this. so does this mean you wont be raw maxing before putting your shirt on from now on?

xolix
08-20-2008, 07:38 AM

You misunderstood what I was saying. Sure you can work triceps both days but it needs to be lighter on DE day. Thats the whole point of DE day. Heavy shoulder press is not a good idea on DE day. If you really have to do it, do it on ME day but your shoulders get pounded plenty enough from benching

AJ, I'd normally agree with you but I think when 2brd is used properly it can help increase your raw bench. When mine was struggling, I found out that my 2brd was only 10lbs higher than my full range. I really concentrated on my raw 2brd press and it helped my full range bench alot, but I never struggled off the chest either.

ok your advise is, doing heavy pressing ME,lockouts,shoulders etc. only on me day ...right ?

whats your opinion about my me cycle : 2 board 3 week wave 5rm,3rm,1rm
floorpress 3 weeks
benchpress 3 weeks
every 4. week is deload . or is it better to do 3 weeks every week a different exercise for 1 rm and 4. week deload ?

i don't have any problems coming of the chest , i stuck on 15 inches . this means to me i should do speed work and lockoutwork
as assistence...

NASAKYCHAIRMAN
08-20-2008, 07:44 AM
Boards has help my unequipped bench press a lot!

Boards has increased my tricep strength and handle heavier weights:thumbup:

TRAIN HARD

"BIG WILLIE" J.T. HALL
GOT MAXIMUM MASS STACK?
http://www.youtube.com/user/NASAKYCHAIRMAN

Travis Bell
08-20-2008, 09:09 AM
ok your advise is, doing heavy pressing ME,lockouts,shoulders etc. only on me day ...right ?

whats your opinion about my me cycle : 2 board 3 week wave 5rm,3rm,1rm
floorpress 3 weeks
benchpress 3 weeks
every 4. week is deload . or is it better to do 3 weeks every week a different exercise for 1 rm and 4. week deload ?

i don't have any problems coming of the chest , i stuck on 15 inches . this means to me i should do speed work and lockoutwork
as assistence...

Well if your following a Westside template you should be working up to a single every week.

You'll have to forgive me but I'm having a difficult time understanding your plan.

You want to do each exercise for three weeks? Starting with a 5rm, second week 3rm and then 1rm?

I would rotate more exercises and work up to a single every week

xolix
08-20-2008, 09:32 AM
Well if your following a Westside template you should be working up to a single every week.

You'll have to forgive me but I'm having a difficult time understanding your plan.

You want to do each exercise for three weeks? Starting with a 5rm, second week 3rm and then 1rm?

I would rotate more exercises and work up to a single every week

yes 3 weeks for one ... i have this idea from jim wendler and matt rhodes .

for example the max-effort-waves-article on elitefts

Travis Bell
08-20-2008, 09:35 AM
What level of lifter are you? How long have you been lifting and what is your bench press max?

xolix
08-20-2008, 09:51 AM
What level of lifter are you? How long have you been lifting and what is your bench press max?

i am 30 y old, 247 lbs bodyweight and i train since 4 years powerlifting after 10 years bodybuilding . all natural .

my bench is 382,5 lbs touch n go and 22 pounds lesser with comp. pause.

the first 2 years with westsideprinciples i used kennelly methods : 2 weeks for a exercise and after 3 2weekcycles i deloaded 2 weeks . i also used bands and chains for me .

now i stuck on y bench and thought i must change something....

Travis Bell
08-20-2008, 12:01 PM
At your level it'd be fine to be doing singles each week

xolix
08-20-2008, 12:06 PM
At your level it'd be fine to be doing singles each week

and deloading ? when should i do this ?