PDA

View Full Version : Deadlift critique after long layoff

berfles
08-19-2008, 09:01 PM
I started deadlifting again after waiting more than 6 months due to a possible hernia, so here is my last set in my 5x5 tonight with 260lbs. I've only had a few deadlifting sessions since I finally started back up.

I think I need to drop my hips more, I'm not using much leg drive at all. What do you think?

94EMQHpU8YM

Invain
08-19-2008, 09:15 PM
Definitely doesn't look like you're getting much leg drive. It's hard to tell though, the weight looks pretty light, like you're warming up.

berfles
08-19-2008, 09:30 PM
Haha, that was my "working" set, I'm taking it slow to make sure I don't get hurt. I've been adding 5lbs every week until I get to a point that is hard for me, so far they'll all easy which is odd because I always neglected deadlifts before the hernia scare, and then took another huge break from that. I've never really maxed out, but before my hernia crap I did 255x15 at the end of a set, so I have no clue what I would do with one rep.

The initial pull used to be a big problem for me even with lighter weights but I think I got that taken care of some how, it doesn't seem too bad now.

berfles
08-21-2008, 10:46 PM
Anyone else? Should I be focusing on more leg drive for future pulls?

Jorge Sanchez
08-22-2008, 08:24 AM
You should be putting the weight down between reps. It looks like you're just barely tapping the ground. As far as the leg/hip drive, I think you're setting up for your first rep properly (maybe an inch or two too far behind the bar, which causes your hips to rise slightly before the bar does) so the first pull is just how you're designed to pull, more or less. But because you're not putting the weight down between reps the subsequent reps are little bit different.

It looks like you're trying to pull around your knees to avoid scraping your legs, which is understandable, but it's not a very efficient bar path. Again, it's putting the bar too far in front of you (especially on the way down, which sets you up poorly for rep 2-5 since you don't reset between reps), which adds back and removes hip from the movement.

A good cue would be to focus on pulling back, or keeping the bar in contact with your leg throughout the whole pull. I find this easier to do when I wear sweats, because I'm not as worried about scraping myself.

mickyjune26
08-22-2008, 09:01 AM
definately try to lower your hips. That will help you in the long run as weights are added. That looks close to a romanian deadlift. Watch some videos of Elite lifters on youtube.

berfles
11-12-2008, 09:46 PM
Here is my last attempt, doesn't look like much changed to me. I did keep the bar on my shins and have the scrapes to prove it, and I tried setting the weight down longer between reps.

A few of the reps I look front heavy (like the first and last) because I was trying to use my legs more in the beginning than usual.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b251/jfindon/th_DSCN7562.jpg (http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b251/jfindon/?action=view&current=DSCN7562.flv)

Painzer
11-13-2008, 10:25 AM
Your first video is no longer available...

berfles
11-13-2008, 10:45 AM
Works fine for me...

Reko
11-13-2008, 10:58 AM
can you get your shins perpendicular to the ground on the initial pull?

berfles
11-13-2008, 11:23 AM
I'm not sure, even trying it right here without weights I am totally off balance if I attempt to get them perpendicular. The only way to come close is to stick my ass so far out that I'm completely bent over at the waist.

Reko
11-13-2008, 11:36 AM
Try pullign back like george said.

Get your air, bench over at the waist to grab the bar, then sit back while keeping your knees up and then once you get to where your hips are down enough and your chest up for a good start position, pull into the bar, push your hips through, and come up with it. I would say its more like pulling at an angle than up or back but the idea is the same

borracho
11-13-2008, 02:57 PM
Try pullign back like george said.

Get your air, bench over at the waist to grab the bar

Is tonight a bench night for you or what? :D

Berfles...it may be the angle but it looks like you start with the bar an inch or two away from your shins...is that the case? I know I had been doing that for awhile and then tried starting with the bar actually touching my shins...seems to be easier to continue with a nice bar path if you start in that position rather than trying to pull it towards you after the weight is airborn...also, it seems a bit easier to lean back if you're already touching it. This is just my thought..something to think about and try.

berfles
11-13-2008, 03:01 PM
Is tonight a bench night for you or what? :D

Berfles...it may be the angle but it looks like you start with the bar an inch or two away from your shins...is that the case? I know I had been doing that for awhile and then tried starting with the bar actually touching my shins...seems to be easier to continue with a nice bar path if you start in that position rather than trying to pull it towards you after the weight is airborn...also, it seems a bit easier to lean back if you're already touching it. This is just my thought..something to think about and try.

The first video, yes. The latest one below the bar was touching my shins the whole time.

I'll keep trying to get the form down better.

berfles
12-16-2008, 07:28 PM
Ok here is a video from tonight, I only got 4 of the 5 reps on video because I ran out of memory. Different angle too. I tried making sure to start more with the weight on my heels this time, and after seeing the video I realize I should get new shoes as these are too worn out. Maybe I'll try them in my socks.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b251/jfindon/th_DSCN7592.jpg (http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b251/jfindon/?action=view&current=DSCN7592.flv)

Last week I did my 5x5 with this weight(320lbs) and felt really off, it just felt really heavy. I only got two sets last week but this week was much better and I got the full 5x5 pretty easily.

Jorge Sanchez
12-16-2008, 07:32 PM
Looks pretty good to me. Do you deadlift 5x5 every week? That must be killer.

Your arms are looking thick.

berfles
12-16-2008, 07:44 PM
Thanks for the comments, I'm glad you think it looks pretty good. It's my only lift I feel my form sucks on.

I do deadlift a 5x5 every week, and yeah it's pretty nuts. About halfway through I think to myself "How am I going to get 3 more sets of this" but after that it's all business and I just get it done. I thought about dropping to a 3x5 but as long as I can keep going I might as well.

jed
12-16-2008, 08:02 PM
i would watch but for some reason it says its a private video.

berfles
12-16-2008, 08:13 PM
Huh, that's odd. I just logged out of my account and it still works for me.

berfles
12-17-2008, 12:55 PM
Question. How bad is it that I get it in my head to just walk downstairs and try new maxes without warming up at all and the day after I just did the exercise? Granted I don't do it often, but once I get it in my head I can't stop thinking about it. I've never maxed on deads before and I just started thinking about 405lbs to see if I could do it, so I walked down and loaded the bar and did it just like that. I was also wearing Nike shoes which I should have changed.

Come to find out I miscalculated and it was only 400lbs but I know I could get the 405. Now I'm really psyched and want four more 45s so I can finally see what it's like to lift 4 plates per side. I really to underestimate myself not only in lifting, but everything in general. Before I tried this I was thinking I'd be lucky to pull 360lbs once given my slow inital rep (need to work on that).

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b251/jfindon/IMG_4452.jpg

Jorge Sanchez
12-17-2008, 02:44 PM
You definitely want to warm up.

Congrats on the PR. I'm sure you're good for 405.

berfles
12-17-2008, 02:48 PM
Yeah I should warm up. When I actually max out I warm up for sure, but these spur of the moment things are rare and I just go do it. I'll be sure to get my next actual attempt on video, I'll try again in a little while when I didn't just deadlift the day before and am properly prepared. I also want to get the 45s so I can just throw them on.

This seals it though, now I know for sure I'm over 1000lbs with my big three. As soon as I get my new bar (hopefully for Christmas) I'm going to try maxing on all three lifts before the new year and get a total.