PDA

View Full Version : How's this for cheap equipment?

AJ_H
08-20-2008, 11:00 AM
Power Racks: http://www.workoutideas.com/power-rack.html
Barbell set: http://www.gymworld.co.uk/prodpage.asp?ProdID=1878

For the power rack, I am hoping to have something thats cheap, but effective and can still hold a decent amount of weight. Also I'm assuming that you will be able to buy more weight when you need to with the barbell set but I can't be sure.

If you guys know of anything better, please let me know, but I don't want to spend too much more than the above equipment.

Thanks

AH

Reko
08-20-2008, 11:17 AM
That weight set seems a little on the expensive side to me unless the bar it comes with is awesome. See if you can maybe find a deal on a good power bar somewhere and just buy used weight. You will probably be able to get a better bar for you money that way and get weights cheaper.
Weights you can skimp on, bars you cannot.

No idea on the racks though.

Brad08
08-20-2008, 11:43 AM
that multisports pro rack is about as cheap as you'll find, brand new anyway. it's $299. if you get your order over $300, you'd have free shipping, so buy a $5 tshirt or something and get the rack, delivered, for right around $300. Not a bad deal on a mediocre rack. Even better is find a used rack and weight set that someone wants to unload b/c they just divorced their husband.

AJ_H
08-20-2008, 11:45 AM
Reko, I was hoping someone like you might answer the thread. As for the power racks, course you can't know the weight they can support, but do you think it is very usual for them to not be able to support a weight as low as say 600 lbs? I say 600 because although I'm not there yet but I don't want to get there in a few years time and have to buy a new flippin power rack.

manowar669
08-20-2008, 11:50 AM
Almost any rack will hold 1000lbs or more.

Tom Mutaffis
08-20-2008, 12:06 PM
That barbell set that you selected is a high end name brand, for weights you do not have to really worry about this unless for some reason you were going to be using them for a sanctioned competition or something. Look for CAP Barbell brand plates - these will usually be the most economical. Even bettwe would be to find some of the higher end brands, Ivanko / York that are from a commercial gym used. Check on Ebay and Craigslist for this and you should be able to find some very good deals. If you are not going to be going over 500 lbs then a cheap barbell will not be an issue, just no rack pulls otherwise you may still bend it in the power rack.

For the power rack that one is obviously a great deal at $300 including shipping, but you will likely get what you pay for. Will it collapse on you in the middle of a lift? Probably not, but it also will not feel stable and you may want to upgrade down the road. For home gym use from my experience Bodysolid is the best deal. We have one that is abused on a daily basis with 400 lbs stone loading, 600 lbs squatting, 500+ lbs benching on the outside, and still holds up great after years of use. They have a lifetime warrenty and should be able to be found under $500, or if you get lucky can maybe locate one used.

Gym equipment is definitely one of those things that it doesnt matter if you buy used as long as it is not destroyed, and it doesnt have great resale value so you can find great deals. Try to shop around and find someone who is moving or a gym that is closing and you should be good to go!

=Travis=
08-20-2008, 12:13 PM
Craigslist is the way to go if you can be patient and wait for a good deal

AJ_H
08-20-2008, 12:21 PM
I think that I may well get over 500lbs and I want to do rack pulls anyway, so I think at the moment the barbell is my main concern. The weight plates, I'm not bothered about: I'll get them as cheap as they come, so long as the ones that say they weigh 45lbs weigh 45lbs, I couldn't care less.

So how's this? http://www.fitness-superstore.co.uk/olympic_bars/bodypower_7_olympic_bar_320kg___700lb_rated/3202_p.html
http://www.fitness-superstore.co.uk/power_cages/powerline_power_rack_grey/8847_p.html

If you guys know of a place with used but good barbells where I can also get a decent power rack so that the shipping will be free since I live over in Britain, I'd be well appreciative.

Reko
08-20-2008, 12:46 PM
I would try local places first, used sporting goods stores, maybe call up some gym owners, or high school or collegiate strength/football coaches seeing if they are getting rid of any old equipment. Plus, you can actually visit and see the equipment before you buy it, maybe even use it.
Don't take any bent bars obviously, but you can probably get an old rack from them on the cheap if they are upgrading. That can get you started until you find a better deal or know for sure what you want and may be willing to drop a few extra dimes. Or maybe ask around and see if someone in your area already has a home gym that you can join and save the trouble that way.