PDA

View Full Version : if my goal is to set a bench press record...

frank
08-20-2008, 05:50 PM
should i be squatting? i dont want to end up putting 5-10 lbs of mass on my legs and end up benching the same weight i was 10 lbs ago...

ill work calves but they dont have nearly as much mass as my thighs

Tom Mutaffis
08-20-2008, 06:01 PM
You might get some mixed opinions from specialized benchers but for overall health and strength you definitely want to include lower body training. Squats will stimulate hormone release and also help to build your core and get your CNS used to handling some heavy weights.

With how dense lower body muscles are I do not see anyone just putting on 5-10 lbs without really trying, though it could stimulate overall body growth since they are the largest muscle groups. Either way if you are gaining quality muscle then I would not worry.

jbrin0tk
08-20-2008, 06:07 PM
You can certainly make progress on your bench and still squat.

BigTallOx
08-20-2008, 06:14 PM
I don't know how true it is, but I've read that squatting increases testosterone levels which in turn increase overall strength. ( I tend to believe there's some truth to it. )

vdizenzo
08-20-2008, 06:26 PM
You must squat. Most of the best benchers will agree. Luyando said he box squats heavily. I know Ryan must squat, have you ever seen his legs. When my core is the strongest, my bench is its strongest. If you gain ten pounds in your legs your bench along with every other lift should skyrocket.

frank
08-20-2008, 06:36 PM
You must squat. Most of the best benchers will agree. Luyando said he box squats heavily. I know Ryan must squat, have you ever seen his legs. When my core is the strongest, my bench is its strongest. If you gain ten pounds in your legs your bench along with every other lift should skyrocket.

ok ill take your advice but what would i do say...

i get up to 155 lbs at around 9% bodyfat...and my bench is only 245?

well i have went from 140 to 147 in the past 2-3 days...ton of waterweight i guess...i gotta weigh myself in the morning

thanks alot

Travis Bell
08-20-2008, 07:35 PM
ok ill take your advice but what would i do say...

i get up to 155 lbs at around 9% bodyfat...and my bench is only 245?

Then you would just get stronger. Dont' worry about your weight so much at your age.

I squat on a weekly basis. I've actually raw squatted over 600lbs and my legs do carry a good bit of weight. Leg drive never came from toothpicks my friend. Always squat.

Also don't be super concerned with the record. Just lift and have fun. If the record ends up within your grasp, go get it, but don't plan everything on it. You have a very long time to go after records

frank
08-20-2008, 08:17 PM
Then you would just get stronger. Dont' worry about your weight so much at your age.

I squat on a weekly basis. I've actually raw squatted over 600lbs and my legs do carry a good bit of weight. Leg drive never came from toothpicks my friend. Always squat.

Also don't be super concerned with the record. Just lift and have fun. If the record ends up within your grasp, go get it, but don't plan everything on it. You have a very long time to go after records

ok thanks alot for the advice!

TankOfTeamStone
08-20-2008, 10:18 PM
I always squat, the best I ever gotten was 650 box squat with briefs. I got a 550 raw squat. It defiantly helped my bench a lot. Lifting heavy weights, leg drive is a must. I half to agree with Travis here, lift and have fun. I got a state record, and now it's baby steps to the national record.