PDA

View Full Version : Olympic lifter benchpressing?! 225kg

JHarris
08-20-2008, 09:27 PM
Evgeny Chigishev, the Russian who just silver medaled at the Olympics as a super heavy (roughly 125kg), bench pressing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbJxt1ukv-U

What a beast.

BFGUITAR
08-20-2008, 09:31 PM
Wow nice!
I am curious to know if he adds that in to his routine.

Auburn
08-20-2008, 09:43 PM
Wow nice!
I am curious to know if he adds that in to his routine.

Kono and some others used to bench. I'm not aware of anyone in the U.S. that uses it today, but I could be wrong. Mostly afraid of building the chest too much and taking away time from endless technique work.

JHarris
08-20-2008, 09:48 PM
Kono and some others used to bench. I'm not aware of anyone in the U.S. that uses it today, but I could be wrong. Mostly afraid of building the chest too much and taking away time from endless technique work.

Eh.. I haven't met an Olympic lifter in the US who doesn't still bench or incline bench in some cycle during the year .. its really just used fairly rarely as there are better assistance exercises out there.

Auburn
08-20-2008, 10:02 PM
I haven't met an Olympic lifter in the US who doesn't still bench or incline bench in some cycle during the year ..

I was speaking about the U.S. team and international-level competitors. Do you know any of them that rotate in bench during training?

JHarris
08-20-2008, 10:15 PM
I was speaking about the U.S. team and international-level competitors. Do you know any of them that rotate in bench during training?

Kendrick Farris has, (in fact, everyone in Shreveport probably has on an off cycle), anyone related to East Coast Gold does now and then (Which includes Lance Frye, among others).. Casey Burgener has. I'm not sure about Chad.

Again, this isn't really a frequent thing, but as a change in assistance exercises for shoulders/triceps, people tend to swap it in at some point. I haven't heard any top-level coach completely avoid it.

Auburn
08-21-2008, 07:54 AM
Hot damn, learn something new every day.

I know Natalie Woolfolk said she doesn't bench. I'm pretty sure Haworth has said that she doesn't, either. I guess I assumed that most others held the same views.

Is it Fleschler that uses the bench with Casey? I don't think I've ever seen his dad mention using the bench.

Brad08
08-21-2008, 11:35 AM
Back before they took the Press out of weightlifting, a lot of guys benched for assistance. In the mid 50s or so, Hepburn and Anderson both competed as weightlifters & were benching 500, IIRC. There's another clip on youtube of another national team (middle east or central asian, I think) and some of their guys are benching.

Auburn
08-21-2008, 12:28 PM
Back before they took the Press out of weightlifting, a lot of guys benched for assistance. In the mid 50s or so, Hepburn and Anderson both competed as weightlifters & were benching 500, IIRC. There's another clip on youtube of another national team (middle east or central asian, I think) and some of their guys are benching.

Yeah, most standard strength movements were included in older training. I was under the impression that basically all had been abandoned for movement-specific stuff and technique work these days, though.

Brad08
08-21-2008, 01:33 PM
I don't know but my guess is, despite their coaches' complaints, some Oly guys still bench and curl just b/c everyone wants to be jakked.

BigTallOx
08-21-2008, 01:57 PM
He could probably lift a lot more if his form was "better" ( ie more of a powerlifting form ).