PDA

View Full Version : should I bulk?

WiCkEdOnE
08-21-2008, 05:39 AM
Ok some basic info, I am 6'1 210lbs with an average build. I have been working out for a few months, and just recently started Rippetoes. I haven't noticed too much change in my body, I have noticed my muscles starting to feel a lot harder than they did but i haven't noticed very much of a size increase. I may have grown more than I think but I have no way to compare until I go home in a few weeks. I think I am eating around 2500-3000 calories a day, this is just an estimation because i can't use fitday or anything like until for a few more weeks.

So I am trying to figure out if i should keep eating the same or change it? How do I figure out my maintenance calories?

yankeekd25
08-21-2008, 07:44 AM
For maintenance, choose an amount you think you stay the same weight at. To figure it out, step on the scale at the beginning of the week and record your weight. Then eat at the amnt of calories you think you maintain at. Weigh yourself 7-10 days later, and if you remain the same, that is your maintenance calories. A rough estimation would prolly be around 2800? I'm about 190 pounds and I maintain at 23-2500 ish.

Good luck.

Reko
08-21-2008, 10:34 AM
Why are you asking us? What do you want to do? Do you want to bulk up or get cut? How big/small do you want to get? Are you competing in any sports or just lifting just to lift?

cphafner
08-21-2008, 10:41 AM
Ok some basic info, I am 6'1 210lbs with an average build. I have been working out for a few months, and just recently started Rippetoes. I haven't noticed too much change in my body, I have noticed my muscles starting to feel a lot harder than they did but i haven't noticed very much of a size increase. I may have grown more than I think but I have no way to compare until I go home in a few weeks. I think I am eating around 2500-3000 calories a day, this is just an estimation because i can't use fitday or anything like until for a few more weeks.

So I am trying to figure out if i should keep eating the same or change it? How do I figure out my maintenance calories?

Why are you able to use WBB but not fitday. Internet sites make it easier to track, but you can certainly do it by hand. Sounds like you are looking for excuses not to succeed. As far as the bulking, telling us stats won't help determine what you should do. It's really up to you what your goals are.

WiCkEdOnE
08-21-2008, 12:34 PM
Why are you able to use WBB but not fitday. Internet sites make it easier to track, but you can certainly do it by hand. Sounds like you are looking for excuses not to succeed. As far as the bulking, telling us stats won't help determine what you should do. It's really up to you what your goals are.

Not trying to sound like a smart ass but I can't use fitday because I don't always have internet access, due to the fact that I am in Iraq. I'm not making excuses I said I can't use it until I get back to the states.

As for doing it by hand I gave you my estimation on my calories, chow halls don't really give accurate calorie numbers on the food they serve so I estimate off of the numbers they give.

As for what I would like to do, I want to look better, get bigger, and be stronger. I am not trying to be a body builder or a professional lifter. I just want to improve the way I look and add some strength. I was asking if I should bulk because I haven't seen much gains and everyone on here says to eat eat eat, but everyone you all are saying that to weighs 130-170ish and I am already at 210, I could lose a little fat around the waist but I am not overweight. I just got back to being able to lift/workout from having knee surgery. I have decent upperbody strength just not much in the legs anymore, which is why I got on the Rippetoes routine.

So basically I am asking if I should try to bulk or just continue Rippetoes for a while and see if anything changes? I guess if you want to know anything else let me know.

kevowamo
08-21-2008, 01:21 PM
i hear you man. thats was a smart ass comment hafner made. fitday DOES NOT equal success. and thank you for your service by the way. stay safe

JBegic3244
08-22-2008, 11:24 AM
I have been doing an online program by Sci-Unison Fitness. It works out really great. Detailed charts that tell me when to train, what to train, the rep range, etc. Customized workout plans, and even nutrition assistance. The trainer Ryan Sullivan is legit. So far so good.