PDA

View Full Version : sliding off the bench on heavy presses?

thewicked
08-21-2008, 12:46 PM
who has experienced this? With lighter weights it seems the power transfer from the leg drive is perfect.. when I get to my heavier sets, the moment I drive my toes into the floor I slide OUT FROM UNDER the weight!

:omg:

thoughts? ideas? is it my foot position?

drew
08-21-2008, 12:51 PM
Get some spray stickum and spray your upper back before lifting.

Travis Bell
08-21-2008, 12:51 PM
you said the problem. You're driving with your toes. You should be driving with your heels

PriestCometh
08-21-2008, 03:50 PM
Are you on your toes or flatfooted?

I cant wait to get back to training. Itching.

Chris Rodgers
08-21-2008, 03:59 PM
This happens to me moreso in commercial gyms with crappy bench pads and no chalk. On a good pad, with a chalked up upper back(or some stick-um if you like) you should not slip.

Reko
08-21-2008, 04:00 PM
if you are in a commercial gym you can wrap a mini band around the bench for some grip. Works real well and you don't really feel it, or at least I don't

bigbadwolfe
08-21-2008, 04:18 PM
You will have to ask SmokinHawk about his Martha Stewart anti Slip tablecloth holder. He got it at Kmart "I think" and it is desigend to keep table clothes from slipping off the table. Works great for him but would not be contest legal.

waynedang
08-21-2008, 05:16 PM
You will have to ask SmokinHawk about his Martha Stewart anti Slip tablecloth holder. He got it at Kmart "I think" and it is desigend to keep table clothes from slipping off the table. Works great for him but would not be contest legal.

I have also heard of using a mouse pad. Pull the top cover off and lay the pad on the bench.

Try to drive your heels straight down not back

smokinHawk
08-22-2008, 07:29 AM

lol ya thats what i use got it at walmart, most of the time with good benches i dont have the problem, when im at competition, but training i use it .
if your having the problem at competition i would try the stick'um spray (anyone know where you can get it.

Eric Downey
08-22-2008, 08:24 AM
Ladnier puts straight Velcro on his personal bench. Sometimes we use the big blue bands a drape them long ways on the bench. You wont slide. We had to do this at a out side meet once when the weather was bad.

Tom Mutaffis
08-22-2008, 08:26 AM
lol ya thats what i use got it at walmart, most of the time with good benches i dont have the problem, when im at competition, but training i use it .
if your having the problem at competition i would try the stick'um spray (anyone know where you can get it.

Here you go:

Stickum Spray: http://www.prowriststraps.com/inc/sdetail/18961
Stickum Paste: http://www.prowriststraps.com/inc/sdetail/48686

sambone
08-22-2008, 08:28 AM
I work at a wholesale flooring distributor. We sell a product called WunderGrip it's a rubber mesh that is designed to go under area rugs on hardwood floors and completely eliminate slipping. I can imagine this would work great and it's extreamly cheap ($1.75 for a 32inX12in piece). If anyone wants some just PM me I'd be glad to hook it up.

Ryano
08-22-2008, 08:41 AM
I think you should train like you compete. Putting a pad on a bench won't be allowed at a meet, so you shouldn't do it in training. Just fix the problem by driving your heels, not toes, like Travis said. At most, use chalk.

smokinHawk
08-22-2008, 08:47 AM
I think you should train like you compete. Putting a pad on a bench won't be allowed at a meet, so you shouldn't do it in training. Just fix the problem by driving your heels, not toes, like Travis said. At most, use chalk.

i do this and still slide.
and allot of gyms dont want chalk on their bench.

thewicked
08-23-2008, 11:58 AM
it's caused me to bomb a few big attempts.. and I've seen alot of videos where guys tuck their feet and are on their toes in the benching. I'm going to work on using my heels monday but for right now, I'm going to use some of that non slip rubber matting since I have quite abit of it here. I appreciate the help guys.

Ryano
08-23-2008, 02:22 PM
I've seen alot of videos where guys tuck their feet and are on their toes in the benching.

Tuck your feet, get up on your toes, but you still drive your heels toward the floor during the entire lift. This will push your stomach up, giving you less ROM and also give you leg drive. If you push on your toes, your butt will come up. Good luck with it. I still need someone yelling at me to drive my heels sometimes. It's tuff to remember to do that.