PDA

View Full Version : Low box question

Tennessee Mike
08-22-2008, 07:14 AM
When doing my box squats at the lowest height,is it okay to "touch and go"? Or should I be completely seated as on the higher box?

Ben Moore
08-22-2008, 07:17 AM
I always release the hips and then explode up. From what Louie teaches, it's to break up the eccentric on concentric portions of the lift. I'm interested to hear what some of the big squatters on here say.

Reko
08-22-2008, 07:26 AM
I'm interested to hear what some of the big squatters on here say.

Me too.

Tennessee Mike
08-22-2008, 11:04 AM
Anyone?

Cricket_Fire
08-22-2008, 11:12 AM
Well Im not too big of a squatter, but when I visited Westside a little while ago we were doing really low box squats, and we were all doing them how Ben described

Tennessee Mike
08-22-2008, 11:45 AM
Lets put it this way.If Louie Simmons says to sit...Im sitting.

Lones Green
08-22-2008, 02:01 PM
I always release the hips and then explode up. From what Louie teaches, it's to break up the eccentric on concentric portions of the lift. I'm interested to hear what some of the big squatters on here say.

not a big squatter, but i do them this way as well. EXCEPT when i'm around 12 weeks out from a meet, i start using the box as more of a depth guide, and i do not relax my hips. i do more of a "touch and go thing."

this is what i am told to do at cell block, with 1000 lb squatters, and also an 800 lb squatter @ 198 who is one of Louie's best friends.

relaxing the hips makes it much harder, although when using bands, there is a few ways you can kind of use the bands against themselves to make the squat easier.

Chris Rodgers
08-22-2008, 03:12 PM
I think if you are just tapping and coming back up than it is not really a box squat. You might as well just do a free squat and get called up when you hit the right depth. I would do them the same way that Ben mentioned from every height.

Tennessee Mike
08-22-2008, 03:16 PM
I was just trying to get out of doing hard work.Oh well..haha