PDA

View Full Version : Gaining Strength while Losing Fat...Is it Possible????

TXStrong
08-22-2008, 09:39 AM
I need to drop a bit of fat from the stomach but I also need to keep getting stronger. I was thinking of running the following Diet/Training Cycle and thought I'd get everyone's thoughts and suggestions

Sunday
WO - Heavy Deads (Coan Program)
Diet - 4000 cals - 450g Protein, 300g Carbs, 110g fat

** Heavy days will be higher calories and carbs to help with the heavy lifts

Monday
WO - Light Recovery/Depletion Jog ~ 30min
Diet - 3000 cals - 450g Protein, 50g Carbs, 110g fat

** Light days will be low carb to try and kick into ketosis for some fat loss

Tuesday
WO - Light Upper (OH/Bench rotate each week) and Accessory Lifts

Wednesday
WO - Light Lower - Squat focus

Thursday
WO - Off or KB circuits if I'm feeling up to it

Friday
WO - Heavy Upper (OH/Bench rotate each week)
Diet - 4000 cals - 450g Protein, 300g Carbs, 110g fat

Saturday
WO - Off
Diet - Potential Cheat Day since I will be watching College Football all day

Thoughts
I do really well on low carb diets. I don't really lose strength but I don't gain it either. Since all my workouts are at night I will have a full day to refeed before the heavy lifts. All the carbs will be low glycemic carbs to try and regulate insulin levels. My thinking is that this should allow me to drop some of this gut while still getting solid nutrition and strength.

RhodeHouse
08-22-2008, 09:50 AM
It's possible, but it can be hard. You really need to get it dialed in. Unless you're getting ready for a contest, you might just want to drop the fat and try to keep the strength as high as possible. Once you reach the BF goal, switch gears and really concentrate on the stremgth gains.

Just a thought. Good luck.

TXStrong
08-22-2008, 09:57 AM
It's possible, but it can be hard. You really need to get it dialed in. Unless you're getting ready for a contest, you might just want to drop the fat and try to keep the strength as high as possible. Once you reach the BF goal, switch gears and really concentrate on the stremgth gains.

Just a thought. Good luck.

Thanks for the advice.

I'm looking to do my first strongman comp in February. I still need to get stronger but I feel this gut is slowing me down.

khsisk05
08-22-2008, 10:00 AM
It's definitely possible, but depends where you are in your body composition. If you are new to training than you should be able to decrease your body fat and still see gains for a little while. I just started training again recently after a long break and in the last 2 months lost 5% body fat while still seeing gains on all major compound lifts and only a 1lb loss in my LBM. If you have been training for quite sometime now then it would be much harder to do both at the same time and I would do what RhodeHouse suggested.

Good luck :).

TXStrong
08-22-2008, 10:05 AM
It's definitely possible, but depends where you are in your body composition. If you are new to training than you should be able to decrease your body fat and still see gains for a little while. I just started training again recently after a long break and in the last 2 months lost 5% body fat while still seeing gains on all major compound lifts and only a 1lb loss in my LBM. If you have been training for quite sometime now then it would be much harder to do both at the same time and I would do what RhodeHouse suggested.

Good luck :).

Thanks

I've been hitting it hard for a while now. I'm currently 290 at about 20% bf. I'd really like to see that come down to 15% or so. I may end up having to just lift hard and mold the diet for fat loss.

khsisk05
08-22-2008, 10:13 AM
I think it would be worth a shot to try to curb the diet a little and see how your body reacts I just wouldn't do anything too drastic to mess up gains if I was training for strongman.

jamie hale
08-22-2008, 10:35 AM
It is possible and i have seen it happen numerous times

In general slower loses in bodyfat are more conducive to strength gains than very rapid loses. There is also a wide individual variance. Some do better than others under these conditions.

thanks
Jamie Hale

TXStrong
08-22-2008, 10:50 AM
I think it would be worth a shot to try to curb the diet a little and see how your body reacts I just wouldn't do anything too drastic to mess up gains if I was training for strongman.

good point. If anything I would actually be upping the calories just trimming back on the carbs.

It is possible and i have seen it happen numerous times

In general slower loses in bodyfat are more conducive to strength gains than very rapid loses. There is also a wide individual variance. Some do better than others under these conditions.

thanks
Jamie Hale

That makes sense. I'm in no hurry and getting stronger is still top priority.

RhodeHouse
08-22-2008, 10:53 AM
Thanks for the advice.

I'm looking to do my first strongman comp in February. I still need to get stronger but I feel this gut is slowing me down.

Do more cardio. Strongmen are big. There is no such thing as lightweight strongmen. It's kinda like the "no kid left behind" thing in schools. The lightweight class is just for people that don't have the balls to be big abd strong and do what it takes to be great. People go to the circus to see the elephants, not the mice.

RhodeHouse
08-22-2008, 10:56 AM
Dude, I just saw how big you are. I still meant what I wrote above, but 290 at 20% is perfect. There is no good reason other than vanity to drop BF. I'd just clean up your diet and eat good carbs.

TXStrong
08-22-2008, 11:04 AM
Dude, I just saw how big you are. I still meant what I wrote above, but 290 at 20% is perfect. There is no good reason other than vanity to drop BF. I'd just clean up your diet and eat good carbs.

Good point.

Thanks

Tennessee Mike
08-22-2008, 11:06 AM
For me,If Im in the process of dieting I lose a little strength.But once at the goal weight It quickly comes back.My best deadlift came when I was 10lbs lighter than I am now.Its all about how hard you train,and how much rest you get.

vdizenzo
08-22-2008, 11:12 AM

Absolutely. Just keep doing what you are doing. With the amount of conditioning used in strongman you will probably continue to drop bf slowly without even trying.

MasterCye
08-22-2008, 06:24 PM
I'd just clean up your diet and eat good carbs.

Wow, mark this day on the calender RhodeHouse giving advice on losing weight. :omg:
Usually I just see him say "why do you want to lose weight, eat more".:)

Invain
08-25-2008, 10:14 PM
Maybe I'm not normal, but every time I cut my strength either stays the same or increases. I've actually hit a couple pr's this summer while shaving off 15 pounds so far. This is without much supplement aid either, just keeping a good diet.