PDA

View Full Version : Any triathletes on WBB?

Dan9108
08-22-2008, 01:13 PM
I was just curious if there were any here, I am 16 and it sounds like something interesting to work towards. If there are any, at what age did you start training for a triathelon, and how does your training schedule go. I'm not looking for anything really in depth, just a brief summary.

Willie
08-22-2008, 02:49 PM
I was just curious if there were any here, I am 16 and it sounds like something interesting to work towards. If there are any, at what age did you start training for a triathelon, and how does your training schedule go. I'm not looking for anything really in depth, just a brief summary.

I'm mostly a cyclist, but I have done a few triathlons. I started serious training for cycling at 18, did my first tri about a year later. I wish I had started earlier.

Training for triathlon, it being a multi-sport event, is pretty time-consuming.

The hardest part for me is swim training, because I don't have a pool at home and I work weird hours.

If you're serious, I'd recommend reading Joe Friel's The Triathlete's Training Bible. (http://www.amazon.com/Triathletes-Training-Bible-Competitive-Multisport/dp/188473748X)

I enjoy triathlon, I just don't really have the time to devote to training as much as I would like, so I tend to stick to bike racing, or duathlon (running and biking).

Dan9108
08-22-2008, 02:56 PM
Hmm, I'll have to read about duathalons, that catches my interest a little more than triathlons because I also, have no pool and I am not a huge fan of swimming, but I absolutely love running and biking. Is there a special term for a more endurance based plain running activity?

Willie
08-22-2008, 03:04 PM
Is there a special term for a more endurance based plain running activity?

Uh, not sure I understand the question exactly.

Running is running. There are different forms of running training, (sprinting, fartlek, LSD) but it's all just called running. The guy that does a 5k every now and again and the guy that does Badwater are runners.

Dan9108
08-22-2008, 03:07 PM
Alright, sorry about the dumb question. I was just kind of unsure. Thanks for the help though, I'll check out that book.

ryuage
08-25-2008, 05:51 PM
My training was somewhere along the lines of long bouts of running, swimming, and cycling almost on a daily basis. Either one or two of the activities was done each day until I felt I needed a day off.

manowar669
08-26-2008, 05:39 AM
My girlfriend and I do adventure races, mountainbike races, and she's done an all-women triathlon. I like the adventure races (mountainbiking, running, obstacles, climbing, paddling, orienteering, shooting, and puzzle-like team challenges).
Basically, our training is lots of riding, and running. We're fortunate to have some great mountainbiking trails within minutes of the house. There's a 5 and 10 mile loop around two lakes, so we'll run a loop, bike a loop, run the other loop, bike the other loop, and try to beat our previous time. We'll do 30-50 mile road rides once or twice a week, also. Drink water.

Hazerboy
09-30-2008, 08:12 PM
Not many triathletes wannabebig.

Ben Moore
09-30-2008, 09:18 PM
Ditka2008 on here was a triathlete and then he realized that was crazy and became jakked.

TUEFELHUNDEN
11-11-2008, 06:41 AM
I am going to be competing in the Wisconsin Triathlon series next year. I haven't done them before but I wanted somthing to work towards that wouldn't hurt my MX training. I would like to get bigger and just lift heavy too but I enjoy racing too much so I think a triathlon is good cross-training.

I also only plan on doing sprint-distance. Some day I would like to try the Ironman Wisconsin but not now.

Sensei
11-11-2008, 07:52 AM
My father is a triathlete and has done an Ironman. I don't program his training, but we discuss his plans fairly frequently.

He periodizes things, of course, and in the winter months is doing a lot more swimming and weight room work, and more running & biking in the warmer months. He trains at least 5x/week and usually trains much more than that (upwards of 10x/week) but it can vary because of work scheduling or if he's getting beat down.