PDA

View Full Version : What Gets You Ready For A Big Lift?

SGT ROCK
08-22-2008, 06:43 PM
Surely for the bench or squat which are more technical lifts some may argue you may not get as "CRAZY" before the lift lol...but on the DL anything goes!

What gets you ready?

Me? ACDC, Young Jeezy and many other tunes to start. Two good ammonia caps, a great audience, and my new found supp that works NITOR, two right before a big lift?

Again, what gets YOU ready?

Semper Fi

MPB
08-22-2008, 07:11 PM
Metallica, and I like to slap/punch all over my body. That seems to keep my body super tight and stable whenever I go for 1rm.

Eric Downey
08-22-2008, 07:12 PM
i like music but different kinds at different moments get me fired up.

JayM181
08-22-2008, 07:49 PM
Nice lookin' blonde with a big tt...:)

Rusty
08-22-2008, 08:14 PM
Ammonia

Lones Green
08-22-2008, 08:17 PM
closing my eyes and taking myself to another place

Reko
08-22-2008, 08:22 PM
I'm with Lones, I actually get real quit, usually close my eyes and try to block everything out and visualize myself doing the lift. Then I go and do it in a pretty calm fashion.

I do yell and get pumped from time to time, but most of my best lifts are done in the former fashion.

BULK_BOY
08-22-2008, 08:38 PM
Tim Horton's Large Double Double & Billy Talent on the Headphones.

Ben Moore
08-22-2008, 08:38 PM
Nice lookin' blonde with a big tt...:)

Just one? That's kinda odd...

nddillon
08-22-2008, 09:44 PM
Convincing myself the weight is moveable!

Just one? That's kinda odd...

Like a Uni-boob?

WillNoble
08-23-2008, 10:47 AM
Just have to get my mind in the right place, like flipping a switch.

Im very mean when Im in this place, not very pleasant to be around.

Adam
08-23-2008, 06:14 PM
I'm with Lones, I actually get real quit, usually close my eyes and try to block everything out and visualize myself doing the lift. Then I go and do it in a pretty calm fashion.

I do yell and get pumped from time to time, but most of my best lifts are done in the former fashion.

Same here, I visualize the key points to the lift, like in bench keep the elbows tucked etc. And deadlift I visualize leaning back once the bar paces my knee's.

Ben Moore
08-23-2008, 06:15 PM

Same here - I've tried the yelling and screaming thing and it just doesn't work for me.

Sidior
08-23-2008, 06:17 PM
Im usually scared ****less of failing. Making the lift just seems easier.

Keith
08-24-2008, 10:14 AM
Hypocrisy.

Andrew Cohn
08-24-2008, 02:31 PM
Disturbed+Ammonia+Full Throttle=PR!!!!!!!

Seriously though, for anyone who really needs to get charged up before their lift, I STRONGLY recommend songs 4,5 and 6 on the new Disturbed cd, especially song 4. Those guys are just nuts.

SGT ROCK
08-24-2008, 09:18 PM
You guys rock! Thanks for the repsonses!!! I def want to check out that Disturbed CD. Anyone else? On a side note, I once put an ammonia capsule INSIDE my nostril and popped it, I was AMPED up but don't reccomend that.

Semper Fi

BigTallOx
08-24-2008, 09:57 PM
Well, I'm still kind of new to this sport, but for me it seems to be a big deep breath and pushing the abs against my belt.

douglasoh5
08-24-2008, 10:51 PM
Tons of ammonia on deads and bench but not squat because its so tech. for deads i take a huge drag of amonia and think about someone callin me a ****in bitch,,,or think bout somone say i cant do it...it really pisses me off

pierre-goett
08-25-2008, 07:58 AM
i can focus on one thing to get right (for ex pull the barbell high for the snatch, or push it to the ceiling for the jerk), that's when i'm technically not okay.
i can focus on enjoying myself and just feel the pleasure to be doing the lift
i can say tomy self things such as "okay, THIS is the moment" or "it's NOW you gotta let go everything" or "i'm a bull, i'm a volcano, i'm storm!!!"
never tryed ammonia...kinda scared i guess :)

Ryano
08-25-2008, 08:16 AM
I've tried both ways, getting really pumped up or staying really calm. I've had my best lifts when I sit on the bench, stay calm, take several deep breaths, and focus on the technical aspects of the lift(setup, barpath, heel drive...). Kind of like a golfer invisions his golf shot, before he makes it. Getting really pumped makes you lose focus on the really important smaller details.

drew
08-25-2008, 08:54 AM
I just try to get myself in the right frame of mind. Think about what I need to do technically to execute the lift. I try not to think at all about how much weight is on the bar. If there is a particular weakness in my technique, I try to focus on that. I don't really get too pumped up, it's just a waste of energy.

NASAKYCHAIRMAN
08-25-2008, 09:11 AM
The ideal going for a pr gets me psyched up!

TRAIN HARD

"BIG WILLIE" J.T. HALL
GOT MAXIMUM MASS STACK?
http://www.youtube.com/user/NASAKYCHAIRMAN

brihead301
08-25-2008, 09:15 AM
Fast, deep breaths, and yelling at myself in my head "Don't be a p***y, lift this f***ing weight!!!! Don't be a little b****!!!!"

Seriously I do that before heavy deadlifts. It's like my own personal drill instructor inside my head.

Keith
08-25-2008, 02:50 PM
You guys rock! Thanks for the repsonses!!! I def want to check out that Disturbed CD. Anyone else? On a side note, I once put an ammonia capsule INSIDE my nostril and popped it, I was AMPED up but don't reccomend that.

Semper Fi

I also recommend Disturbed. I hope you didn't miss my post. Their best songs that do me well while training are Warpath, Eraser, Fearless, Destroyed and Blooddrenched. Do yourself a favour and listen to these songs.

Cricket_Fire
08-25-2008, 03:17 PM
Tim Horton's Large Double Double & Billy Talent on the Headphones.

lmfao how did I know that was by you before even checking who posted it:moon:

Its all about the loud music. I very occassionally will smack myself.

I actually find the normal prep before a lift helps me fire up; wrapping up, adjusting shirt/suit, chalking up, etc. I think it just gives me that time to really fire up

mastermonster
08-26-2008, 11:03 PM
It's more extreme at a meet (especially 2nd and 3rd or record 4th attempts) but for big gym lifts too; I become very animalistic. I get in the state of mind I think a wolf or bear would be in when he's backed into a corner. I snarl, grawl, and stomp the platform and work myself into a rage. I top off the rage by backhanding myself 2 or 3 times hard in the face to really get pissed. That usually gets the crowd sounding off and that's the finishing touch. Usually I'll let out what is between a deep grawl and a roar and attack the bar like it's a life or death battle. I've done enough reps by meet time with the lifts that the technique is mostly second nature by then. It's a little strange maybe but it works for me. It's basically the same state I tried to get into before each play when I played football...yes Brent, it was after the leather helmut days! LOL! How are you doing?

SGT ROCK
08-27-2008, 01:47 AM
What up Buddy! At Riverfest next year im coming out to LYNYRD SKYNYRD.....can you picture the mayhem?

Semper Fi

Lewy23
08-27-2008, 08:34 AM
Hatebreed....nuff said :evillaugh:

jmccown
08-27-2008, 11:26 AM
Static-X, Metallica, AC/DC - everyone in the gym watching what's about to happen and knowing you can't allow failure.

BULK_BOY
08-27-2008, 01:27 PM
lmfao how did I know that was by you before even checking who posted it:moon:

hahaha only us Canadians would get that. LOL!

PriestCometh
08-27-2008, 02:31 PM
Arch Enemy, Kingdom of Sorrow, Devildriver, Slipknot, Bohemoth.

Pics of Jaime Pressley, Selma Hayek and Britney Spears(I dont know why, But I love to look at that trashy girl).

And plenty of ammonia.

Drew92
08-27-2008, 03:24 PM
what does ammonia do?