PDA

View Full Version : Power rack gauges

Nuthurst
08-22-2008, 07:40 PM
Hi Guys,

I'm looking at getting a new rack, but no nothing about gauges. I've worked out, the lower gauge means 'thicker' tubing etc but was wondering if anyone could add anything more.

I'm trying to decide between 11 and 7 gauge (or 4 if I win lotto).

Also, is the gauge or tubing (ie 2x, 3x3) more relevant to strength of the rack.

Thanks in advance

BULK_BOY
08-22-2008, 08:34 PM
As a General Machinist, I should be able to help you out.

Mild Steel Box Tubing - is what Racks are usually made from

Gauge size - is another way of saying "wall thickness" eg. 16GA measures .0625" or 1/16th of an inch

So yes 4GA would be really nice (1/4" wall thickness)

What weights are you hoping to use in this "rack"? That should help you pick out the appropriate Rack.

2x2 or 3x3 is referring to it's "box" size - 2" by 2" etc.....

IMO 1/8" Wall Thickness should do just about everyone...................except Rhodes LOL!

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Nuthurst
08-22-2008, 09:17 PM
As a General Machinist, I should be able to help you out.

Mild Steel Box Tubing - is what Racks are usually made from

Gauge size - is another way of saying "wall thickness" eg. 16GA measures .0625" or 1/16th of an inch

So yes 4GA would be really nice (1/4" wall thickness)

What weights are you hoping to use in this "rack"? That should help you pick out the appropriate Rack.

2x2 or 3x3 is referring to it's "box" size - 2" by 2" etc.....

IMO 1/8" Wall Thickness should do just about everyone...................except Rhodes LOL!

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Thanks for the reply. At the moment only looking at 500-600, but obviously if I buy a rack at 7 gauge I'll want it to last a long time and hopefully lifts will be closer to 800 by then. I'm pretty sure from researching that a 7 gauge 2x2 rack should be strong enough for almost anything.