PDA

View Full Version : Deadlift opener at my first powerlifting meet

BigTallOx
08-23-2008, 06:56 PM
Here's my opener deadlift at my first powerlifting meet. It's around 365 i believe, I was advised to go light for my first attempt at my first meet. For some reason, my wife didn't video my 3rd attempt, URG. ( I've just started doing deadlifts a few months ago, and being 6'8" I've got a long way to pull the weight. So don't be too critical, lol )
M2BZEKebewg

40 Nunc
08-23-2008, 06:59 PM
You made it look easy!

Chris Rodgers
08-23-2008, 07:19 PM
Man, you are a freaking giant! Nice pull. Squatting must be hell for you. You need to gain about 200 lbs of bodyweight to fill out that huge frame. :omg:

Lones Green
08-23-2008, 07:47 PM
Man, you are a freaking giant! Nice pull. Squatting must be hell for you. You need to gain about 200 lbs of bodyweight to fill out that huge frame. :omg:

thats what i was thinking!!! haha

BigTallOx
08-23-2008, 07:56 PM
Man, you are a freaking giant! Nice pull.
Thanks.

Squatting must be hell for you.

LOL. Yeah, it's a long ways down for me to squat. I've been working the squats hard lately. I've had a knee injury a while back that took some of my flexibility away, but working squats hard has helped alot. I'm not ready to squat at a meet yet, but hopefully I will be soon.

You need to gain about 200 lbs of bodyweight to fill out that huge frame. :omg:

Yeah. I weigh just under 270, but I was probably the skinniest guy at the meet, LOL.

How fun though, I loved every minute of it.

Lones Green
08-23-2008, 09:15 PM
i'm glad you enjoyed it. and 270 is a rail at your height! you look skinny in that video.

you could be 350+ easy, and not even be fat.

i have knee problems as well, i am only 6'3, but i have the longer, looser joints.

BigTallOx
08-23-2008, 09:41 PM
and 270 is a rail at your height! you look skinny in that video.

you could be 350+ easy, and not even be fat.

Absolutely, I'm not arguing that ( and I'm working on getting to 350 ).

Erik 23
08-23-2008, 10:23 PM
Hi ox that was a great pull your very strong but i have to suggest to you about your form. When you pulled that you didnt look like you pulled with your legs your back was really rounded over, im suggesting to try to keep your back almost straight up and down when you lift as this will help you to avoid any future injuries Basically From what i seen you got set up then your butt came up then your back that is gonna hurt your back later on.What id suggest is really get down there and get tight the movement should be one steady movement really get down low then as your pulling keep your lats as tight as you can and really try to pull your shoulder blades back what helps me is to look up at the ceiling, and when you get down and start to pull then you wanna keep your back as straight as possible on the way up.Just so you know im not knocking your lift as that was a very strong lift but the way you pulled it once you get into your max attempts that can hurt you real quick.again great job Ox and stay strong.

BigTallOx
08-24-2008, 04:55 AM
When you pulled that you didnt look like you pulled with your legs your back was really rounded over,

Yeah, my upper back rounds, but my lower back doesn't really. Here, watch this guy...

8VZOlFo0Q1U

im suggesting to try to keep your back almost straight up and down when you lift as this will help you to avoid any future injuries. Basically From what i seen you got set up then your butt came up then your back that is gonna hurt your back later on.What id suggest is really get down there and get tight the movement should be one steady movement really get down low then as your pulling keep your lats as tight as you can and really try to pull your shoulder blades back what helps me is to look up at the ceiling, and when you get down and start to pull then you wanna keep your back as straight as possible on the way up.

I'm not trying to argue, my form did break on that lift. When I workout I wear shin guards and they wouldn't let me wear them at the meet, so the whole time I was thinking about not banging my shins, which caused me to raise my hips first to get my knees out of the way.

Just so you know im not knocking your lift as that was a very strong lift but the way you pulled it once you get into your max attempts that can hurt you real quick.again great job Ox and stay strong.

Thanks. I appreciate the feedback.

Lones Green
08-24-2008, 09:13 AM
try some chalk! its a life saver. try tall socks as well.

BIG AL
08-24-2008, 01:55 PM
what did you bench and what was your total. I am only 6'5" and I feel like a gaint at meets, it will be funny as hell when you squat and they have to adjust the height for. I may be a little ****ed up in the head but that kind of **** cracks me up.

Tennessee Mike
08-24-2008, 01:59 PM
Nice job man.Looked good.

BigTallOx
08-24-2008, 02:57 PM
what did you bench and what was your total.

I benched 135 kilos raw. My long arms makes bench hard ( but it's slowly getting better ). It was funny, the announcer said that the weight should count twice as much for me since I have to push it twice as far. LOL, wouldn't that be nice.

My third deadlift was for 185 kilos. It was still really easy. Looking back I should have tried at least 200 kilos. I'm still so new to doing deads I wasn't sure how much to go up. The 185 kilos is more than I've tried in any of my workouts.

So my total was 320 kilos = 705.5 pounds.

I am only 6'5" and I feel like a gaint at meets, it will be funny as hell when you squat and they have to adjust the height for. I may be a little ****ed up in the head but that kind of **** cracks me up.

LOL that's funny. There were actually several other tall guys at the meet ( not 6'8" but probably 6'5"-ish ).

BigTallOx
08-24-2008, 04:22 PM
try some chalk! its a life saver. try tall socks as well.

I have tall socks, but I sometimes still bang my shins enough to make them bleed through the socks. This is happening less and less though.

Kenny-SFW
08-24-2008, 06:29 PM
Big OX try pulling off a platform, about 3 inches, it will force you to use more leg drive and get your hips under you so your legs won't lockout way before your back does. I'm a tall dude myself 6-6. Keep working hard OX!!!

BigTallOx
08-24-2008, 08:12 PM
Big OX try pulling off a platform, about 3 inches, it will force you to use more leg drive and get your hips under you so your legs won't lockout way before your back does. I'm a tall dude myself 6-6. Keep working hard OX!!!

OK, I'll give that a try. Thanks for the advice.