PDA

View Full Version : Squatting wide - still good for raw lifting?

Hazerboy
08-23-2008, 11:55 PM
Currently I don't have the money to buy gear, nor the time it takes to learn how to use it. I'd still like to get stronger in the squat though, and enter a few more raw competitions while I'm at it. With that said, should I still be trying to squat as wide as possible? Can super wide squatting still help my poundages even if I don't use gear? Is it safe for my hips?

thanks guys!

-Trent

Ben Moore
08-24-2008, 12:01 AM
I'd keep a moderate stance with raw lifting. If you look at my raw stance, it's easily 10" closer than my geared. You'll have better overall strength development as well as keeping your hips healthy

BigTallOx
08-24-2008, 05:09 AM
I'd keep a moderate stance with raw lifting. If you look at my raw stance, it's easily 10" closer than my geared. You'll have better overall strength development as well as keeping your hips healthy

Interesting. I'm really working on my squat form lately, could you post videos of your raw and geared stance? It would be helpful to see both.

AdamBAG
08-24-2008, 07:17 AM
Hips are my weak link and I've had some injuries so when I squat raw I use a medium or "athletic" stance w/ the feet just under the shoulders. When I'm in gear I squat wider.

Blayze
08-24-2008, 07:25 AM
I squat super wide (never used gear) and my hips are perfectly healthy. Maybe it's just because I'm young. Who knows? Close stance free squatting just doesn't feel right.

Ben Moore
08-24-2008, 08:42 AM
Geared squat - briefs, suit and belt
58dBr2-_YfA&hl

"Raw" Squat - belt and knee wraps (wraps are allowed in the APA raw meets)

zTdOvxVfnNs&hl

Lones Green
08-24-2008, 09:09 AM
i'm with Ben. squatting real wide with no gear on is really going to take a toll on your hips, if it hasnt already.

Keith
08-24-2008, 10:09 AM
i'm with Ben. squatting real wide with no gear on is really going to take a toll on your hips, if it hasnt already.

Yeah, it does. Unfortunately, I experienced this first hand.

vdizenzo
08-24-2008, 10:14 AM
I f'd my hips up badly squatting raw and wide. I am just starting to get over huge problems with my IT band, piriformis, groin, and knee. I have been rehabbing twice a day because of it. Ultra wide raw squats=bad!

jbrin0tk
08-24-2008, 10:20 AM
Yeah, I can't even begin to descend on a wide raw squat. My hips and groin just will not take it.

Szust
08-24-2008, 11:39 AM
I suppose this is also dependent on the structure of the person squatting, and what is meant by wide and normal stance. I use a stance about 6" away from each shoulder. Is that too wide for raw? I haven't felt any kind of pain in hips or knees.

thewicked
08-24-2008, 11:58 AM
without hip support a wide stance is brutal for us raw guys.. been there done that and i felt it for a long time!

Keith
08-24-2008, 12:01 PM
I suppose this is also dependent on the structure of the person squatting, and what is meant by wide and normal stance. I use a stance about 6" away from each shoulder. Is that too wide for raw? I haven't felt any kind of pain in hips or knees.

6" away from your shoulders is fine. I wouldn't consider that "super wide" by any means.

geoffsherman
08-24-2008, 06:20 PM
I tried squatting wide raw and it killed my groin so now I am a little wider than shoulder width. It did change my leverages so I had to change the assistance work to match the change in stance.

BFGUITAR
08-24-2008, 08:04 PM
Wow very good I read this thread! Because I practice squatting wide just to get use to it. I'm going to narrow it up.

Reko
08-24-2008, 08:13 PM
just get some briefs if you want to squat wide.
nevermind just read your post. (lol)

you can probably find a used pair or a handme down for not too much

BigTallOx
08-24-2008, 09:09 PM
Geared squat - briefs, suit and belt
58dBr2-_YfA&hl

"Raw" Squat - belt and knee wraps (wraps are allowed in the APA raw meets)

zTdOvxVfnNs&hl

Thanks. That's helpful.

Tennessee Mike
08-25-2008, 07:29 AM
This has been a very helpful thread.

RedSpikeyThing
08-25-2008, 11:21 AM
Don't squat super wide without gear. You'll kill your hips and groin. I also learned this first hand :(

Keith
08-25-2008, 02:44 PM
Wow very good I read this thread! Because I practice squatting wide just to get use to it. I'm going to narrow it up.

I bought some Inzer Powerpants. They're cheap and great to use while squatting wide.

Hazerboy
08-26-2008, 01:54 AM
yeah this is all good information thanks guys.

Another quick question though - i can comfortably hit parallel when my heels are around 25 inches apart. I can do a few inches more but it takes a LOT of warming up and its a little uncomfortable. Is this about right for raw squatting or should i try and stretch a lot to get wider?

haha I doubt very many of you go measuring your squat stance now that i think about it so i'll try and get a pic or something next time. i'm 5'10 by the way.

Ryan Celli
08-26-2008, 05:40 AM
You will not last long squatting wide raw. period.

I've have many young members at my gym that come in squatting
super wide raw. They never want to believe me when i tell them they won't last very long with out injuring themselves. "my hips don't hurt, I'm fine!" Well, sooner or later they get hurt, mostly hips.

You'd be surprised at how many younger lifters train westside RAW. I personally don't think that can be done for too long. You at least need briefs.

Keith
08-26-2008, 03:23 PM
You'd be surprised at how many younger lifters train westside RAW. I personally don't think that can be done for too long. You at least need briefs.

That's exactly what happened to me. Both, pulling and squatting wide, heavy and raw took a toll on me while I was training with a westside template and lead to an injury in my groin area. After reevaluating what I did, I don't recommend westside RAW and like Ryan said, at least get yourself some briefs.

BFGUITAR
08-26-2008, 04:26 PM
I am doing it raw but I have changed it up because I am doing it raw. So I guess im not doing westside any more lol.

So far I like it. Through trial and error did I find what works for me.

Ben Moore
08-26-2008, 04:37 PM
You can use westside principles and not squat super wide - you just have to pick some different exercises.

Hazerboy
08-26-2008, 04:57 PM

As long as you don't squat wide, I don't see anything wrong with training westside raw. You many not get as much out of dynamic squats or box squats because you don't use your glutes as much, but you're still greasing the groove and working on speed. That was my favorite part about westside when I first started training it - how much better my form got after dynamic effort squats.