PDA

View Full Version : For those with Prowlers...

geoffsherman
08-24-2008, 05:38 PM
I am looking at getting an Econo Prowler and have noticed that few on here have them. I had a few questions:
(1) When pushing on concrete, have you done anything to help prolong the life of the slides?
(2) Do you do anything to ensure that it doesn't rust?
(3) How much weight would you recommend starting out with? I am 5-9 190 335/290/405

I am trying to find some weights as I don't own any. We don't have craigslist near where I live so I went to Play-It-Again and they wanted .50/lb which seemed high to me.

Thanks for your help.

Ben Moore
08-24-2008, 05:54 PM
.50/lb is really not that bad. Start with just the sled - add plates as you work up your capacity. We do runs of either adding plates to a max push or just throwing 2-3 plates on there and doing alot of trips.

The skids will wear out - befriend a welder and have some thicker ones put on when that happens. We bought a similiar product from Pitbull equipment and it came w/ 1/2" thick skids. We won't wear them out.

Rust? Think of it as added character...;)

geoffsherman
08-24-2008, 06:17 PM
Thanks for the info. I didn't even thing about checking out Pitbull to purchase one from. Plus, he is a lot closer to Northwest Arkansas than Elite is so hopefully shipping would be less.

Eric Downey
08-24-2008, 07:42 PM
you can buy weight from academy or another large store like it. look at the spud inc

http://www.southcarolinabarbell.com/...asp?Category=8

Gable
08-24-2008, 08:22 PM
I am looking at getting an Econo Prowler and have noticed that few on here have them. I had a few questions:
(1) When pushing on concrete, have you done anything to help prolong the life of the slides?
(2) Do you do anything to ensure that it doesn't rust?
(3) How much weight would you recommend starting out with? I am 5-9 190 335/290/405

I am trying to find some weights as I don't own any. We don't have craigslist near where I live so I went to Play-It-Again and they wanted .50/lb which seemed high to me.

Thanks for your help.

1 - not yet, but I can weld some more on when needed.
2 - nope
3 - I started out with 1 plate per side, but you might want to start with less,, experiment, they can be a lot of fun.

.50/lb is a good deal, Academy,etc. are usually closer to .90/lb..

Good luck.

Alcoholiday
08-24-2008, 11:52 PM
for anyone who has a prowler, how well would it work on gravel? same as a sled, or would it dig into it? what about grass?

WillNoble
08-25-2008, 06:21 AM
In wendler's log he has said on numerous occasions that grass is infinitely harder than pavement. We have been pushing ours on a rough dust covered concrete floor, and I can tell a huge difference compared to blacktop

Gable
08-25-2008, 07:33 AM
I tried on the grass, it is much, much harder. My yard doesn't have enough straight shots to make it worthwhile, so I just push it up and down my street.

Alcoholiday
08-25-2008, 04:29 PM
cool, thanks guys.

haydn104
08-25-2008, 05:48 PM
I use frisbees on mine from the 99 cent store. The slides tear up the street a bit and the neighbors don't like it but the frisbees stop that and seems to save on wear.