PDA

View Full Version : Conv deads convert to wide squats?

mickyjune26
08-25-2008, 09:07 AM
My conv dead raw is 540. My wide squat in briefs is 425, though it felt like I had 20 more pounds in me.

Should my squat be closer to my deads? If I bring my stance in, where my heels are 3" outside my shoudlers, should I have a stronger squat?

I just learned that I shouldn't squat as wide raw as I do in gear. Based on what I've felt in the past, I have to agree and start to apply this.

I'm 6'7", 260 right now, for those who need to know leverage points.

BigTallOx
08-25-2008, 10:01 AM
My conv dead raw is 540. My wide squat in briefs is 425, though it felt like I had 20 more pounds in me.

Should my squat be closer to my deads? If I bring my stance in, where my heels are 3" outside my shoudlers, should I have a stronger squat?

I just learned that I shouldn't squat as wide raw as I do in gear. Based on what I've felt in the past, I have to agree and start to apply this.

I'm 6'7", 260 right now, for those who need to know leverage points.

Cool, another tall powerlifter. I can deadlift quite a bit more than I can squat. I've always thought it was because I'm tall and it's a long ways down to squat parallel. But with my long arms, the weight doesn't have to move nearly as far for deads.

If you have any videos of your squat, I'd love to see them. I'm really trying to get my squat form down and it would be good to see a 6'7" guy squatting.

mickyjune26
08-25-2008, 10:04 AM
My form has been feeling good, except that I'm finding that I can't squat comfortably really wide raw as i do in briefs. I'll be getting into my gear in a few weeks, so I'll be able to hit it wide again.

I'll try to record some vids tonight for feedback. I wouldn't consider myself one to teach others, as I'm still just a newbie. :)

ehubbard
08-25-2008, 11:24 AM
I'm not sure what you mean by "I just learned that I shouldn't squat as wide raw as I do in gear." Squatting Ultra Wide takes some time to get used to. If you are squattiing wide I would reccomend using briefs because it really beats up your hips squatting wide without gear. I wouldnt waste my time squatting raw wide stance because I compete in gear and for me it takes away from my training to squat wide without gear and beat up my hips. It really depends on your goals. I also dont know that I have seen anyone take a raw squat in a meet with a true wide stance so I think even at your height, squatting raw you will still have to keep your stance in a bit. At 6'4, my raw (belt and wraps) squat is probably around 100-125 lbs less than my best raw deadlift, and geared up at my last meet (second meet overall) my squat and dead where dead even at 675.

mickyjune26
08-25-2008, 12:22 PM
Thanks for the tips man. I'll keep the stance in a bit until I start gearing up in a few weeks.

ehubbard
08-25-2008, 01:08 PM
If you are serious about powerlifting and live near Dallas you should check out Bad Attitude Gym.

mickyjune26
08-25-2008, 01:11 PM
I went there for a little over a month and they gave me some tips. Now I lift in Denton with some other PL'ers. We are considering joining a new PL gym that will be opening up in Denton.