PDA

View Full Version : Contrast Shower?

Tennessee Mike
08-25-2008, 11:43 AM
Whats the procedure and benefits?Im hearin alot of you guys talkin about it lately.

Lones Green
08-25-2008, 12:56 PM
go from very hot water to very cold water, i do it in 30 second intervals. most of the time its done on my low back. i do them right after workouts, on whatever body parts i just worked.

Tennessee Mike
08-25-2008, 12:58 PM
Is this to calm down sore bodyparts?

MPB
08-25-2008, 01:06 PM
I've done this many times. It helps to reduce muscle soreness, allowing you to recover faster. I end it with ice cold water, and after that I feel like I can go back to the gym and train all over again.

Hazerboy
08-25-2008, 01:22 PM
Never tried them for the rest of my body, but when I was doing high volume grip training I would contrast buckets of hot and cold water to make them *feel better* and heal faster. The guys on gripboard.com swear by it.

vdizenzo
08-25-2008, 01:35 PM
You need to at least double the time you have hot v cold. You also need to end on cold. One of the ways I do it is I will go 1 minute hot and 30 seconds cold. I do both three times. I have been taking at least one of these a day. After tough workouts I have been going 3 minutes hot and 1 minute cold for three rotations. Again, it's very important to end on cold. I am to the point where the hot water handle is completely off during the cold cycle and the the cold is just about off when I am in the hot cycle. The first few times you go to just cold it takes your breath away. However, you get used to it. Now it actually feels really good.

I have been using these for the last three weeks with great success. I also take ETS and believe that helps quite a bit as well.

Tennessee Mike
08-25-2008, 01:38 PM
Im gonna try this tomorrow after my deadlift workout.

Lones Green
08-25-2008, 02:34 PM
Im gonna try this tomorrow after my deadlift workout.

you need to start a journal man

Tennessee Mike
08-25-2008, 02:56 PM
you need to start a journal man

Ive got one.Its sitting on my kitchen counter..

Detard
08-25-2008, 03:01 PM
I did these when I had ligament problems in my wrist. It really helped with recovery

lil' power
08-27-2008, 07:50 PM
You need to at least double the time you have hot v cold. You also need to end on cold. One of the ways I do it is I will go 1 minute hot and 30 seconds cold. I do both three times. I have been taking at least one of these a day. After tough workouts I have been going 3 minutes hot and 1 minute cold for three rotations. Again, it's very important to end on cold.

Tried this today for right shoulder, only lasted 2 rotations, but wasn't bad. I'm going try for a week and see how it works for me....yes, always ending on the cold cycle.

youngguns
08-27-2008, 08:45 PM
did my first one of these on my chest yesterday, and did one on my legs today. felt great.

Bupp
09-01-2008, 03:39 PM
These work great. Right after a workout and also the next morning.

cphafner
09-01-2008, 03:44 PM
I've been doing these on my lower back for the last week. They feel great. My back feels much looser.

ACaslow
09-02-2008, 08:40 PM
I have been using contrast showers since I left the nfl.. it was highly recommended then, and I've stuck with it till' now still..

the primary purpose is to draw blood and develop a strong circulation, it also stimulates the cns. As you begin using the showers be sure the water is cold enough and hot enough, you should at one point be breathing hard like your out of breath. That's the blood beginning to circulate. We used to run them 15 seconds hot 15 seconds cold, this way it is a continous shock to the body and never sitting long enough to develop a tolerance. So basically it's always cold as **** and hot and ****. You can't get comfortable basically. I use them for 10 minutes every sunday after my training session.

Ben Moore
09-02-2008, 10:27 PM
OK, I'll bite - Al you were in the NFL???

ACaslow
09-03-2008, 10:40 PM
OK, I'll bite - Al you were in the NFL???

haha...

yes, I had a very small stint with the philadelphia eagles... I played arena football for the wichita stealth then traded to the iowa barnstormers where I was then picked up by the eagles under free agency through Joe Womach who became my agent. I was released during the pre-season. I was brought in to return kick offs and punts.. It was fun while it lasted, though brief.

Ben Moore
09-03-2008, 11:03 PM
haha...

yes, I had a very small stint with the philadelphia eagles... I played arena football for the wichita stealth then traded to the iowa barnstormers where I was then picked up by the eagles under free agency through Joe Womach who became my agent. I was released during the pre-season. I was brought in to return kick offs and punts.. It was fun while it lasted, though brief.

You never cease to amaze me man - btw, I found a new job!

ACaslow
09-04-2008, 10:42 AM
You never cease to amaze me man - btw, I found a new job!

Ben, that is great, congratulations.

Let me know what field, industry and company. Did the websites I gave you provide any help with that?

Eric Downey
09-04-2008, 11:11 AM
ive used it for my lower back the day after deadlifting. its easier with a handle that comes of.

Detard
09-04-2008, 01:13 PM
ive used it for my lower back the day after deadlifting. its easier with a handle that comes of.

+1. Especially if you have a seat in the shower.

Anyone know if there is a risk of actually getting blisters or burns from the hot cycle? (Can tap water even get that hot?)

Travis Bell
09-04-2008, 03:55 PM
yes it definatly can. There is no benefit to scorching yourself LOL

If I am not mistaken it just needs to be a pretty good difference in temp. It causes the vessels to expand and contract which moves the lactic acid out of there as well as loosening up the muscles.