PDA

View Full Version : Questions/Gym Benching Video

Leeman
08-25-2008, 07:27 PM
Hey guys, I know its bad form and Im completley aware that it has horible 1 rep max carry over. But thought I would post the video anyway because its probably the coolest lift I have ever done reguardless of form.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMS_28303Xc

Anyway while your here I want to ask a few questions

1: anyone know some extension exercises that are easy on your tricep tendons? I cant seem to do any form of skull crusher at all...

2: when doing board presses should you let the bar sink into the board, or just keep complete tension on the bar at all times and barley let it touch the board. (I ask this because when I sink into the board I have rebound and it seems to take away from the idea of sticking point training)

3: can I rotate only boards as my max effort exercise?

4: can I just have a normal rep bench day on my DE day instead of speed training?

Thanks guys

Leeman
08-25-2008, 07:31 PM
Oh I would also like to add I have never had a ME or DE day I just go in and rep with a certain weight when ever I feel like benching. Those ME/DE questions are for when I start a westside template to try get a half decent 1rm

Chris Rodgers
08-25-2008, 08:03 PM
The bench guys can answer your questions, but I just have to say you are a freaking tank! That was a sick set!

Ryan Celli
08-25-2008, 08:21 PM
that was impressive! crazy strong for 17 years old.

1: anyone know some extension exercises that are easy on your tricep tendons? I cant seem to do any form of skull crusher at all...
don't laugh , but I like kick backs for something easy on the tendons
2: when doing board presses should you let the bar sink into the board, or just keep complete tension on the bar at all times and barley let it touch the board. (I ask this because when I sink into the board I have rebound and it seems to take away from the idea of sticking point training)
i don't let the bar sink in on board presses.
i say yes you can rotate boards
4: can I just have a normal rep bench day on my DE day instead of speed training?
i would say yes, but i would stay light and only do maybe 3 sets of 8just for blood flow

Eric Downey
08-25-2008, 08:26 PM
yes you can use just boards but also change using all 3 grips, but floors presses should nt out of the question. use DB's and the reg bar for those also with all 3 grips. adding just floor presses gives you almost 20 different movements for ME days.

using rep in stead of speed is not true DE work you just doing a light rep day then. Try the speed work for a while. if anything itll teach you to lock out every rep every time.

and please please lose the elbow wraps.

pocoloco blanka
08-25-2008, 08:39 PM
dare i say that looked like speed work??? very heavy speed work????

Erik 23
08-25-2008, 08:39 PM
Man just gotta say Leeman that was awesome especially for your age you will get better with your form, i pretty much bench the same way so i cant unfortunatelly help there but just wanted to say for some of your questions like for triceps, im there as far as elbow pain if thats what your getting i get them from skull crushers and dips and things of that nature so i do tate presses and tricep pushdowns, or panora presses.They seem to not bother my elbows as much.

I dont know much about the boards but i think you can rotate them every week or so how ever you want to do it.and for the reps day i think instead of speed day every ones different some people dont use it some do. i know mike siegler said he dosent train with a speed day and he has a good bench.

I would recommend a De day but its up to you i think it will take you a lot further in your training.i recently added them in and i think its helped alot.

Best of luck in your training oh and also wanted to ask you are those the convict pro elbow sleeves from apt.com?if so how do they feel on your arm?I use a elbow wrap but by the time i wrap up then wrap my wrist my arms are practically numb,so i was thinking of ordering some so i could eliminate wrap time and just bench.I know theyre suppose to be double ply,do they go on real tight? Any way awesome video bro keep at it

Leeman
08-25-2008, 08:40 PM
ok, thanks guys

yes you can use just boards but also change using all 3 grips, but floors presses should nt out of the question. use DB's and the reg bar for those also with all 3 grips. adding just floor presses gives you almost 20 different movements for ME days.

using rep in stead of speed is not true DE work you just doing a light rep day then. Try the speed work for a while. if anything itll teach you to lock out every rep every time.

and please please lose the elbow wraps.

Alright,

So basically heavy bench on DE day is a no go, could I do it on a ME day like

bench
135x10
225x5
315x3
405x3
455x max reps

Add board 1-4
475x1
495x1
525x1
550x1 etc?

And those are elbow sleeves, not wraps, they are pretty tight tho and certainly help 10-20lbs. I have gotten used to them and now when I bench without them I get pain in my tricep tendons other wise I would just chuck them and weak a sweater to keep my elbows warm.

Leeman
08-25-2008, 08:43 PM
dare i say that looked like speed work??? very heavy speed work????

Without that speed I would only bech like 365

Leeman
08-25-2008, 08:47 PM
Man just gotta say Leeman that was awesome especially for your age you will get better with your form, i pretty much bench the same way so i cant unfortunatelly help there but just wanted to say for some of your questions like for triceps, im there as far as elbow pain if thats what your getting i get them from skull crushers and dips and things of that nature so i do tate presses and tricep pushdowns, or panora presses.They seem to not bother my elbows as much.

I dont know much about the boards but i think you can rotate them every week or so how ever you want to do it.and for the reps day i think instead of speed day every ones different some people dont use it some do. i know mike siegler said he dosent train with a speed day and he has a good bench.

I would recommend a De day but its up to you i think it will take you a lot further in your training.i recently added them in and i think its helped alot.

Best of luck in your training oh and also wanted to ask you are those the convict pro elbow sleeves from apt.com?if so how do they feel on your arm?I use a elbow wrap but by the time i wrap up then wrap my wrist my arms are practically numb,so i was thinking of ordering some so i could eliminate wrap time and just bench.I know theyre suppose to be double ply,do they go on real tight? Any way awesome video bro keep at it

thanks, Il look up panora presses

Yeah those are the convict pro sleeves. Hands down the most badass thing I have ever bought for the gym. They keep you very warm, very good compression, they even give you some weight on he lift.

After I take the elbow sleees off my tricep tendons imediatley start to ache, so I can imagine how valuable those sleeves are that they allow me to train heavy without pain.

EDIT:
order the conict pro's a size to small, I own elbow wraps and they are nothing compared to the wraps. But probably the best sleeve you can buy.

Travis Bell
08-25-2008, 08:53 PM
Those are elbow wraps man. Sleeves are made of neoprene and aren't very tight. If your elbows hurt when not using them, you've become dependent on them. Not good, especially since they aren't allowed by any federation

Your triceps aren't getting much exercise because you aren't locking any of your reps out. Start going full range of motion and you'll notice your tris get worked alot more. Board presses and tricep work is fine, but its not going to have any carryover whatsoever to your bench until you are using that range of motion where those muscles are incorporated.

DE work is for speed but it needs to be locked out as well.

Erik 23
08-25-2008, 09:06 PM
thanks, Il look up panora presses

Yeah those are the convict pro sleeves. Hands down the most badass thing I have ever bought for the gym. They keep you very warm, very good compression, they even give you some weight on he lift.

After I take the elbow sleees off my tricep tendons imediatley start to ache, so I can imagine how valuable those sleeves are that they allow me to train heavy without pain.

EDIT:
order the conict pro's a size to small, I own elbow wraps and they are nothing compared to the wraps. But probably the best sleeve you can buy.

Thanx man i got the idea for panora presses from Travis bell, i think he may have a video some where but i looked on youtube to try to find any videos of the lift, but i couldnt find any videos.

Its basically just a tricep pushdown but instead of going all the way up like you do on a pushdown, you stop like half way basically a little before your arms are even with your forearm kind of.

ill keep looking for a video that way it will be easier to explain if you see it.

Also yeah i feel you on the elbow pain, i get that when ever i dont wear the wraps i hate wearing the things but with out them 405 and up starts really hurting.

Thanx For the reply about the sleeves also i will definately be ordering some pretty soon.Keep up the awesome lifting.

Oh Also wanted to say if you do decide to do a De day, whatever you do dont use the bands more then probally a week or so in a row cause the bands made my elbows hurt really bad.

There the main reason that i had to use wraps, i did them wrong i was using the bands like everyweek always use either mini or monster mini bands when you use them, but i would switch between bands chains or straight weight every week you never want to use the bands week after week just wanted to let you know in case you decide to start using De day method take care.

Leeman
08-25-2008, 09:26 PM
Those are elbow wraps man. Sleeves are made of neoprene and aren't very tight. If your elbows hurt when not using them, you've become dependent on them. Not good, especially since they aren't allowed by any federation

Your triceps aren't getting much exercise because you aren't locking any of your reps out. Start going full range of motion and you'll notice your tris get worked alot more. Board presses and tricep work is fine, but its not going to have any carryover whatsoever to your bench until you are using that range of motion where those muscles are incorporated.

Im not to woried about the sleeves/wraps because I cant compete right now and dont see a way to compete in the near future. I really just lift for fun. Also right now Im purposfully over training and benching etc every 1-3 days so my tendons/muscles are never fully recovered so I tend to think that this is the cause of my tendon pain. (but thats besides the point)

I shouldnt say that my tricep tendons hurt when ever I lift, as I always do bench variations (incline decline close grip etc) with sleeves on. The only time I take them off is when Im specfically trying to hit my triceps with extensions, or close grip board presses, or floor presses, which all seem to hurt my tendons. Im not sure if normal benching on its own hurts them. The amount of weight I would have to take off my bench to pause it andfully lockout with a rack call would probably be so significant that my elbows wouldnt bother me at all.

I see what your saying about locking out on bench being the best way to train your lockout lol.

I have never woried to much about locking out because I always considered progress to be progress no matter what form you used. But now that I can do 405x15 and be lucky to hit 500+ the same way Im starting to think I should change my form to one that has better rep to max carry over. Il see what I can do with my bench form. Thanks for your help.

Leeman
08-25-2008, 09:31 PM
Thanx man i got the idea for panora presses from Travis bell, i think he may have a video some where but i looked on youtube to try to find any videos of the lift, but i couldnt find any videos.

Its basically just a tricep pushdown but instead of going all the way up like you do on a pushdown, you stop like half way basically a little before your arms are even with your forearm kind of.

ill keep looking for a video that way it will be easier to explain if you see it.

Also yeah i feel you on the elbow pain, i get that when ever i dont wear the wraps i hate wearing the things but with out them 405 and up starts really hurting.

Thanx For the reply about the sleeves also i will definately be ordering some pretty soon.Keep up the awesome lifting.

Oh Also wanted to say if you do decide to do a De day, whatever you do dont use the bands more then probally a week or so in a row cause the bands made my elbows hurt really bad.

There the main reason that i had to use wraps, i did them wrong i was using the bands like everyweek always use either mini or monster mini bands when you use them, but i would switch between bands chains or straight weight every week you never want to use the bands week after week just wanted to let you know in case you decide to start using De day method take care.

I plan to start doing de days in about 12 weeks, I want to have 495x5 (same form) and weigh 350 before I start a ME/DE day to get good at maxing.

My elbows them self dont hurt, its the tricep tendon, probably from over trainin/gaining strength so fast. Im gonna take a week off lifting next week so hopefully I wont have the problm anymore.

Hope you like the convict sleeves, go with the 2ply and get them pretty small if your looking to have them do the same thing as wraps as far as compression. I have the convict wraps and when I put them on I want to kill my self, I can probably get 100lbs out of them. Where as the convict pro's I leave on for 2 hours at a time while I lift. So I dont know how thats gonna work out for you.

Erik 23
08-25-2008, 09:58 PM
I plan to start doing de days in about 12 weeks, I want to have 495x5 (same form) and weigh 350 before I start a ME/DE day to get good at maxing.

My elbows them self dont hurt, its the tricep tendon, probably from over trainin/gaining strength so fast. Im gonna take a week off lifting next week so hopefully I wont have the problm anymore.

Hope you like the convict sleeves, go with the 2ply and get them pretty small if your looking to have them do the same thing as wraps as far as compression. I have the convict wraps and when I put them on I want to kill my self, I can probably get 100lbs out of them. Where as the convict pro's I leave on for 2 hours at a time while I lift. So I dont know how thats gonna work out for you.

Best of luck when you start the Me/De/Days i think you will like the westside barbell style of training.

I see what your saying yeah your tricep tendons might just be a little too over worked but thats good your laying off exercises that you feel hurt your tendons.

I did the same thing all type of dips extensions skull crushers they all hurt so i just stick to the basic stuff now that dosent hurt tate presses pushdowns and occasionally close grip bench press.Yeah and thats a good idea about the week off i did that awhile ago and came back feeling great.

i wasnt aware the convict pro's had a wrap might have to get those too. but definately now that i hear from someone that uses them often i will get them and a size smaller like you said.

I hope they give real good compression for the max effort stuff atleast somewhat like the wraps cause thats what i need them for is my real heavy stuff.

smokinHawk
08-26-2008, 06:33 AM
holy crap you are a tank, have you maxed yet, with a little bit of work you should be 530+
you definitely should be competing, just rehab your elbows (might have to slow down a bit on the sessions or intensity)
for sleeves i just use neoprene for training, and they do fine in competitions without them

waynedang
08-26-2008, 07:23 PM
that was impressive! crazy strong for 17 years old.

don't laugh , but I like kick backs for something easy on the tendons
i don't let the bar sink in on board presses.
i say yes you can rotate boards
i would say yes, but i would stay light and only do maybe 3 sets of 8just for blood flow

Ryan have you tried those kickbacks with a band? we were messing around with these a few weeks back and they were pretty decent.

Eric Downey
08-26-2008, 07:41 PM

listen to travis and lockout your reps. other wis eyou wide up like some of these *******s we make fun of on the internet posting vids of them selfves doing loads of weight that there spotters have to pick off them. with the raw power you have right you'd be a monster with better tech under the bar.

youngguns
08-26-2008, 08:41 PM
wtf is in the water you drink man? i cant even begin to fathom that you are my age.... that was ****ing disgusting. keep it up, and please, please, please, please, please compete. thats was just gross...

Leeman
08-31-2008, 08:12 AM
holy crap you are a tank, have you maxed yet, with a little bit of work you should be 530+
you definitely should be competing, just rehab your elbows (might have to slow down a bit on the sessions or intensity)
for sleeves i just use neoprene for training, and they do fine in competitions without them

alright will do

Im thinking I may just slowly add the elbow sleeves on later and later in the workout until I can hopefully use heavy weight without any tricep tendon pain.

probably only take like 2-3 months.

Leeman
08-31-2008, 08:15 AM
listen to travis and lockout your reps. other wis eyou wide up like some of these *******s we make fun of on the internet posting vids of them selfves doing loads of weight that there spotters have to pick off them. with the raw power you have right you'd be a monster with better tech under the bar.

Il be sure to start locking out, or at least having a part of my training where I lockout my bench.

It really does take away from 1rm strength quite a bit when you dont lockout.

Ben Moore
08-31-2008, 08:18 AM
I just got the knee sleeve version of these - they are very very heavy duty.

http://www.prowriststraps.com/inc/sdetail/129173

Leeman
08-31-2008, 08:18 AM
wtf is in the water you drink man? i cant even begin to fathom that you are my age.... that was ****ing disgusting. keep it up, and please, please, please, please, please compete. thats was just gross...

I wish I could compete to be honest, I have church on saturday and we dont believe in doing any work etc on that day. So finding meets is close to if not impossible.

Leeman
08-31-2008, 08:20 AM
I just got the knee sleeve version of these - they are very very heavy duty.

http://www.prowriststraps.com/inc/sdetail/129173

yes they are very strong, mine have worn down allot because I wear them for about 2 hours when I lift every time I do upper body. But they still help a considerable ammount.

Leeman
08-31-2008, 08:20 AM
thanks for your help everyone.

Travis Bell
08-31-2008, 09:56 AM
or at least having a part of my training where I lockout my bench.

You should lock out everything. Its not a rep if it's not locked out

AdamBAG
08-31-2008, 10:52 AM
You should lock out everything. Its not a rep if it's not locked out

This is one of the first things that I learned when I started training with actual powerlifters and it made a big difference in my raw and shirt bench.