PDA

View Full Version : Starting to get a 'belly' while bulking

skimmilk68
08-26-2008, 10:57 PM
I like my weight/strength gain progress but I'm also definitely gaining some unwated mass around the midsection... I'm not talking about losing my 6 pack... it's more like a mini beer gut :(

should i continue and worry about it when I start cutting or do I need to watch what I eat from now on and do a little bit of cardio?

Willie
08-26-2008, 11:13 PM
should i continue and worry about it when I start cutting or do I need to watch what I eat from now on and do a little bit of cardio?

It's according to what your goals are.

From a health perspective, subcutaneous body fat (belly and love handles) isn't all that bad for you, as unsightly as it is, it's internal fat (around your organs) that poses a real risk to your health.

That said, some mid-section fat isn't going to matter one way or the other if you're a primarily a powerlifter, but if you're into other sports, the extra weight could slow you down.

My advice is determine what you want and don't bother asking other people whether you need to "worry" about your own body.

If you think you're getting too fat, then you are.
If you're okay with a belly, then good for you.
You gotta do what it takes to be happy in your own skin.

skimmilk68
08-26-2008, 11:24 PM
well I've never bulked before so I didn't know if this was a normal part of bulking

Willie
08-26-2008, 11:33 PM
well I've never bulked before so I didn't know if this was a normal part of bulking
:scratch:

Me neither. I'm an endurance athlete, so I fear weight gain like an anorexic teen actress.

From my understanding, though, most guys involved in powerlifting and bodybuilding tend to add fat when they bulk because to eat precisely the right amount of calories to add muscle without adding fat is pretty much impossible, so you have to eat extra, which ends up as fat.

But again, it's your body; do you think you need to burn off some fat?

Tennessee Mike
08-27-2008, 06:25 AM
Belly is good.Obese is bad.

Reko
08-27-2008, 06:45 AM

Its normal. As long as you are getting enough protein and training hard its fine.

brihead301
08-27-2008, 07:08 AM
Having a belly just means that you're not an aneorexic little girl.