PDA

View Full Version : Is this an ok Protein bar? (Atkins)

Z 2 8
08-27-2008, 06:02 PM
Tthe protein bar i had was called the atkins protein bar. It had 23g carbs, 7g of total fat, 1g saturated fat, 0 trans fat, 1g of total sugar, 0 alcohol sugar, 17g protein, 200 calories with 60 of them from fat. Is that an ok protein bar to eat once a day? I ask for work and such when i need quick snack...Sometimes i can't get to a good meal at work. I did a lot of label reading and that was the best i could find...

I'm in a bulking stage and i'm trying to gain muscle. I weigh 148 and i'm 5'8. Gaining weight slowly...

=Travis=
08-27-2008, 06:18 PM
Another option for a quick snack is cook up a bunch of chicken breast on a sunday and take them to work and eat those as a snack. Of course, I guess that depends on your access to a fridge. There are a lot of options for quick meals at work. I keep a bucket of protein at my desk and when I need something I drink a shake.

ryuage
08-27-2008, 06:53 PM
it's fine if it fits into your diet... is it ok in terms of what?

jAy_Dub
08-27-2008, 07:26 PM
Most protein bars are junk. 7 grams of fat? I'd much rather get my fat from other sources but if thats what you like go for it.

ryuage
08-27-2008, 07:33 PM
on another note... now that I think about it, you are bulking and eating a 200 calorie bar?

Z 2 8
08-27-2008, 08:33 PM
on another note... now that I think about it, you are bulking and eating a 200 calorie bar?

Yeah, explain how that is weird? I need the calories, because i'm at work with no way to eat for 4-5 hours sometimes and this is my way to get in 200 calories and 17g of protein, without it being horrible for me. I need to eat a lot during the day and these calories will help. (or so i thought) It only has 1g of total sugar and 1g of saturated fat...The total fat is coming from the peanut butter that is in it. It's a whole grain peanut better granola bar....

If your "bulking" isn't ok to have a bunch of food? If you eat "diet perfect" all day and throw in a cheesburger for a bunch of calories, it shouldn't hurt you too much. As long as yor working hard in the gym, it should be ok. You want to gain mass and the only way to do that is to eat...I couldn't think of anything else to eat, since i have no fridge to put it in...I think the technical rule of thumb is no more than 18g of saturated fat for a normal person who doesn't work out...So, a cheesburger a day, or a measily protein bar with 200 calories shouldn't really be a huge problem for some lifting...

I would like to hear the explanation as to why this would be a bad idea? It's better than not eating...

ryuage
08-27-2008, 09:23 PM
Yeah, explain how that is weird? I need the calories, because i'm at work with no way to eat for 4-5 hours sometimes and this is my way to get in 200 calories and 17g of protein, without it being horrible for me. I need to eat a lot during the day and these calories will help. (or so i thought) It only has 1g of total sugar and 1g of saturated fat...The total fat is coming from the peanut butter that is in it. It's a whole grain peanut better granola bar....

If your "bulking" isn't ok to have a bunch of food? If you eat "diet perfect" all day and throw in a cheesburger for a bunch of calories, it shouldn't hurt you too much. As long as yor working hard in the gym, it should be ok. You want to gain mass and the only way to do that is to eat...I couldn't think of anything else to eat, since i have no fridge to put it in...I think the technical rule of thumb is no more than 18g of saturated fat for a normal person who doesn't work out...So, a cheesburger a day, or a measily protein bar with 200 calories shouldn't really be a huge problem for some lifting...

I would like to hear the explanation as to why this would be a bad idea? It's better than not eating...

you want an explanation... you're not eating all day and decide to have a mere 200 calorie bar to hold you over when you're bulking. Last I heard it takes calories to grow so eat up and eat more...

Z 2 8
08-27-2008, 09:44 PM
you want an explanation... you're not eating all day and decide to have a mere 200 calorie bar to hold you over when you're bulking. Last I heard it takes calories to grow so eat up and eat more...

Seriously, i ate all day. I don't think i could have eaten more actually...I'm just going to have to work on bigger portions. I ate every 2 hours. The thing is, i eat healthy food, so it takes forever to build up the calories...

Also, how many carbs a day are too much for trying to build muscle and get bigger?

No more than 250ish, or am i way off?

Unreal
08-28-2008, 08:50 AM
Protein bars are junk unless homemade. Bring a jar of peanut butter, or some nuts, or some trail mix, or some jerky, or a protein shake, or some cheese, or some crackers. 200 calories is nothing. Carbs for building muscle, probably 400g+ a day if you want to see good gains.

40 Nunc
08-28-2008, 09:05 AM
Do you have any idea how many calories you're consuming daily? Do you have any idea how many calories you need for maintenance? Are you tracking calories or just eating and assuming you're getting enough?

Willie
08-28-2008, 09:43 AM
Most protein bars are junk.

X2.

Most are little more than candy in disguise.

function
08-28-2008, 10:14 AM
if your trying to put on mass, eating one protein bar wont do much :P

you could always just drink a ton of milk instead. its easier and cheaper.

Reko
08-28-2008, 10:49 AM

Seriously, i ate all day. I don't think i could have eaten more actually...I'm just going to have to work on bigger portions. I ate every 2 hours. The thing is, i eat healthy food, so it takes forever to build up the calories...

wa wa wa. So do you EAT every 2 horus or DID you eat every 2 horus for that one day? Make up your mind how often you eat and we will make up our minds telling you how much more you need to eat.

kevowamo
08-28-2008, 11:30 AM
this guy has been very active lately...asking questions, getting offended, being wishy-washy.
and when the hell is rhodes goin to chime in with this guy?

Z 2 8
08-28-2008, 01:32 PM
this guy has been very active lately...asking questions, getting offended, being wishy-washy.
and when the hell is rhodes goin to chime in with this guy?

I'm not offended at all, just learning more and more. I've been reading everyday. I gather information here and then read up on the health organization. I compare and take advice from what the most people agree with. Sorry your annoyed? Lol, read something else then...

Now, someone made a good point. Yes, that particular day i was eating every 2 hours. I am tracking my calories on livestrong, but i like to do it on paper. I only got down 2000 yesterday, which is much better than my unhealthy 6-700 i was eating... I started all this weighing 141 and i'm up to 147. It's been 8 days. I was able to bench 200 yesterday easier. (more energy) I have a good routine now also.

My abs are showing more and i gained weight. That was shocking. My only problem is not eating enough fat i think. (snacks) I sit at a desk and can't move...

Z 2 8
08-28-2008, 01:37 PM
So, what should i bring to work to snack on? Suggest a brand you like also, this way i can find it easy in the grocery store.

Today, i had a publix whole sub on wheat for lunch. I think i will continue to have that for lunch. Good carbs and a lot of protein and calories. I think i'll get no cheese next ime. I added it up and the sub is about 1000 calories with cheese, lol.

kevowamo
08-28-2008, 02:36 PM
1000 calories at 146lbs is OKAY

Rabbit
08-30-2008, 09:26 AM
Z 2 8, looks like you're trying to eat healthy and a bit on the budget (?), but here's what I was doing:

Was getting ~1600 calories a day, and feeling very full
Swapped to ~3,000 a day and getting just as full
Secret? Fast food. Burger King's Tripple Whopper w/cheese = 1250 calories, ea x2 (lunch + Dinner) = 2500. +500 (bacon at breakfast, snacks, milk+fruit juices).

Don't like BK? 6x Taco bell hard shells or a 2 piece fish meal at Long John Silver's / Cap't D's will get in the >1000 range as well.

It's not the healthiest food (and I'll probably die from high cholesterol/sodium), but it'll get you those calories which you need, without making you puke your guts at the thought of food. Like swapping lettuce for Peanut butter, same volume, just one will bulk you, other'll shrink you.