PDA

View Full Version : Buying weights/bar on craigslist

Hazerboy
08-27-2008, 09:21 PM
Last christmas I bent the bar that came with my cage during a warmup set of overhead squats (dropped it and it landed unevenly on my cage). I only lift at home 4 months out of the year but its still frustrating training with a bowed bar, so right now I'm looking to buy a new one on craigslist. Besides asking the obvious (is your bar bent/bowed?), what else should I ask about or look for in a bar? I don't have the money to buy a nice one online, I just need something that won't bend permanently under 600-700 lbs (numbers are in my signature but sometimes I do partial and banded work) and will last me a few years (keeping in mind I will only use it 4 months out of the year). Thanks for any input or advice!

-Trent

WillNoble
08-27-2008, 09:22 PM
Speak with Ben, he is a frequent Craigslist user

Brad08
08-27-2008, 09:25 PM
You can't afford a decent bar, but want something that'll handle 600-700 pounds without problems?? Unless you 'stumble' upon a classic york or a texas power bar, I guess you'll just have to live with whatever you happen upon that fits your budget.

FWIW, lifting off blocks rather than pins in the rack seems to help avoid bar trauma.

Ben Moore
08-27-2008, 09:56 PM
HB - www.bsolympicgym.com Midwest Power Bar is $140 shipped I think. Rated to 1000lbs Great bar for you - you won't ever bend it.

I'd offer to let you grab one from us, but I think I've pretty much taken care of any straight bars we have...;)

Hazerboy
08-27-2008, 10:01 PM
hmm i thinked i looked there once and saw the 290 dollar bar and stopped lookin around... though the midwest bar looks like it might work for me. I saw an ad on craigslist for a 70 dollar bar AND 200 lbs in weights so I may have to buy that, use the bar for a year, bend it, then buy something new. :-p