PDA

View Full Version : Speed Under the Bar

Brad08
08-27-2008, 09:31 PM
Taner Sagir, 172.5 kg snatch @ 77 kg ... check out that speed

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/o5yifpd3RBQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/o5yifpd3RBQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Ben Moore
08-27-2008, 09:54 PM
That's pretty nutty.

youngguns
08-28-2008, 07:55 PM
im paranoid everytime i snatch after watching the hungarian guy dislocate his elbow.

JHarris
08-28-2008, 09:09 PM
im paranoid everytime i snatch after watching the hungarian guy dislocate his elbow.

I wouldn't be too worried - it tends to be the lighter weight class guys that do it, and its partially due to the extreme amount of weight they are locking out coupled with Olympic lifting's focus on having VERY strong triceps against not having a huge need for biceps. Moreover, the lighter weight class guys just can't afford to store a bunch of extra muscle in their upper body, so a lot of them develop strength imbalances.

At the end of the day, though, they guys are supporting 350+ lbs overhead in a wide grip. Most people can barely stabilize 100lbs over their head without something giving up. When you push your body to its limits, you'll eventually find a weakness, and if you compound that with a strength imbalance, a dislocated elbow is not that hard to see.

Guido
08-29-2008, 09:28 AM
^ True, and even so, it's so rare as to not even really be an issue. Especially for a casual or non-elite level weightlifter. I dont' know if there has been a single other person who has disolocated an elbow while snatching in major competition, EVER. At least none that I can ever recall hearing about.

youngguns
08-29-2008, 01:27 PM
^ True, and even so, it's so rare as to not even really be an issue. Especially for a casual or non-elite level weightlifter. I dont' know if there has been a single other person who has disolocated an elbow while snatching in major competition, EVER. At least none that I can ever recall hearing about.

thats quite comforting.

you make a good point, jharris.