PDA

View Full Version : Chuck Vogelpohl at the Pro-Am

chris mason
08-27-2008, 10:31 PM
Chuck's 2nd attempt squat. I thought he had it...

UZMjJFTT8_o

WillNoble
08-27-2008, 11:08 PM
I agree from the looks of the video

Lones Green
08-28-2008, 03:17 AM
apparently it was red lighted on a re-racking issue. looked good to me.

Fuzzy
08-28-2008, 05:00 AM
That was IPF depth!

Travis Bell
08-28-2008, 07:16 AM
He wasn't red lighted on depth. From where I was standing (right behind him) it looked right at the top his hips came forward and set him too far back on his heels so the spotters took it. With 1,160lbs it pays to be safe

ehubbard
08-28-2008, 07:26 AM
I am not a certified internet judge, but too me it looks like they may have redlighted him because he was shaking a bit at the top and perhaps didn't exhibit control of the weight. I cant hear the rack command so it's tough to make a judgement. Then again thats not my job, that was John Bott, Bob Youngs, and the perverbial "IPF Guy"'s job . What is that guy's name anyway?

Dave Schwab
08-28-2008, 08:42 AM
Another angle of same lift:
http://www.ironhousezanesville.com/08%20Pro-Am%20Results/chuck-1120.MPG

Ben Moore
08-28-2008, 08:57 AM
Apparently alot of people in that room though it was good also.

chris mason
08-28-2008, 09:36 AM
I asked him after the lift and he said the judges had a problem with something at the top. I think he said they said he bumped the rack or something of the like.

Chris

Dave Schwab
08-28-2008, 11:15 AM
What I've heard is that the judges said he fell forward when racking the bar. I'm not seeing it though in either video, he seems to have control of the weight at the top until it is racked.

Sean Hatley
08-28-2008, 05:01 PM
I say he had it

Erik 23
08-28-2008, 08:33 PM
Lift looked good to me I cant beleive they didnt give that to him

Eric Downey
08-28-2008, 09:09 PM
I think thats was one of the best squats ive seen chuck do. Deeper than some of his others ive seen passed.

Viking_Power
08-29-2008, 01:46 AM
He wasn't red lighted on depth. From where I was standing (right behind him) it looked right at the top his hips came forward and set him too far back on his heels so the spotters took it. With 1,160lbs it pays to be safe

Are you serious? Is that what he was squatting? it looked to me like he got it clean. Amazing either way.

Lones Green
08-29-2008, 03:17 AM
Are you serious? Is that what he was squatting? it looked to me like he got it clean. Amazing either way.

yup, hes one of the strongest MFers in the world. hes been training for a 1200+ squat. if you heard some of the band tension + weight he's been using in his last training cycle, you might crap yourself. just give it some time, and he will hit a HUGE squat. not that he already hasn't.

Bill Carpenter
08-29-2008, 09:44 AM
The two angles of video I watched the lift should of been good. One of his best squats I have seen. :confused:

RhodeHouse
08-29-2008, 09:57 AM
I can see where they had problems with it at the top. That was not Chuck's best squat. He didn't have control like he has shown in the past. Still super-strong. Check out his 1150 WR and his 1080 and 1100 for a year or so agao. Those are real strong squats.

Either way, Chuck will come back better next time. He always does. He's the man. I love watching him squat. Absolutely a great technician. He also has the most intensity that I've seen in a lifter. Truly amazing.

joey54
08-29-2008, 05:27 PM
Where is Chuck training at these days?

Lones Green
08-29-2008, 05:40 PM
Where is Chuck training at these days?

Lexen

vdizenzo
08-29-2008, 08:51 PM
Chuck is the ****ing man, but I agree with the call. Depth was not a problem but control at the top was. From all the different vids I have seen I think the judging was excellent.

Rob Luyando
08-30-2008, 10:42 AM
I hate to say this and get the pot stirred but **** it I have broad shoulders and will say it to anyones face. I was at the meet and had a good side angle view that was one of the deeper squats at the meet. He didn't bobble at the top he was assisted back into the racks just like every other lifter was. The red lights were all about bull**** politics that have no business being in the hobbie sport! Chuck is the man and he got a 1st class royal ****ing with no lube!

Travis Bell
08-30-2008, 11:08 AM
Rob I really hope you aren't implying that was Lou's fault that Chuck got red lighted

Maybe I misunderstood what you wrote

I've looked up to you for a long time and still do so I respect your opinion, but Louie Simmons would absolutly NEVER instruct judges to give someone reds because they left Westside. I really can't believe people are saying this is what happened.

chris mason
08-30-2008, 11:24 AM
I agree with Travis. Think of it this way, if that line of reasoning were accurate how did Wenning and Fought do so well? How did all of the other non-Westside lifters do so well?

I DO think the call was dubious on the lift, but I DON'T think Louie had anything to do with it.

Dave Schwab
08-30-2008, 11:31 AM
Minor point of clarification, Fought is not a former Westsider.

Travis Bell
08-30-2008, 11:36 AM
there are few things that get under my skin but this topic really has because its just ridiculous. What about all our Westsiders that bombed? People are so quick to blame Lou. There were other lifters that got some hairline calls (reds) and potentially got screwed in the process, so was that Lou's fault as well? Absolutly not. When judges are calling things tight like that sometimes calls will go in the direction of reds and not whites.

chris mason
08-30-2008, 12:35 PM
Minor point of clarification, Fought is not a former Westsider.

I know. What I meant is that he is with the gym where both Chuck and Matt went thus making him open to such things if they were a reality.

chris mason
08-30-2008, 12:36 PM
there are few things that get under my skin but this topic really has because its just ridiculous. What about all our Westsiders that bombed? People are so quick to blame Lou. There were other lifters that got some hairline calls (reds) and potentially got screwed in the process, so was that Lou's fault as well? Absolutly not. When judges are calling things tight like that sometimes calls will go in the direction of reds and not whites.

Well, be careful, he never stated it directly. He may have just meant the general politics of the sport etc.

Travis Bell
08-30-2008, 01:46 PM
Well, be careful, he never stated it directly. He may have just meant the general politics of the sport etc.

I should have been more specific. I was referring to posts on PLW by anonomyous posters, not Rob's post on here.

Rob and I have a great friendship and I have nothing but respect and admiration for him and I wouldn't let something like this get in the way of that