PDA

View Full Version : Please help with my diet plan.

McLaughlin
08-28-2008, 11:42 AM
Hi guys, I was hoping to get some constructive advice/criticism on this diet I've put together for myself. Goals were to have low cost and ease of use.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Weekdays and Sundays:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
6am - Yogurt + Bagel + Fish Oil
9am - Apple
11am - Yogurt + Can of Chicken
2pm - Apple + Bagel
Usually workout from 3pm to 4pm, give or take 10 minutes.
4pm - Can of Chicken + 12oz Milk
5 or 6pm = Dinner (w/e mother cooks) + Multi Vitamin + Fish Oil
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Saturdays:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
6am - Yogurt + Bagel + Fish Oil
Workout 7am to 8am
9am - Can of Chicken + 12oz Milk
11am - Yogurt + Can of Chicken
2pm - Apple + Bagel
4pm - Apple
5 or 6pm = Dinner (w/e mother cooks) + Multi Vitamin + Fish Oil
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ok so it might not be the best, but that's why I'm asking for help. When I say Yogurt, that's 1 original yoplait serving cup or whatever, varying in flavor.. two of those a day. Cans of chicken are the same size as a can of tuna, not the super big ones. Bagels are multi-grain with 8 protein and 42 carbs each. Not sure yet what type of apples, but they seem to be the one kind of fruit I'll be able to get year-round. I don't have a fish oil yet, but have a wal-mart brand multi-vitamin that's supposed to be the same as "Men's One-a-Day" pills. Do you think brand matters? Thinking that I could use a supplement to add to this diet, but not sure where to add it in my schedule, if I should go with pre workout, durring workout, or post workout.

Thanks for any help or advice you can offer :D

40 Nunc
08-28-2008, 11:47 AM
Are you trying to gain weight, lose weight or maintain?

McLaughlin
08-28-2008, 12:19 PM
Would like to gain weight because I hear that will help with my low bench score.

jAy_Dub
08-28-2008, 02:48 PM
You need way more protein. Looks like you're alright for carbs but to grow (and ultimately get stronger) you need protein. I'd recommend getting some Nitrean here.

http://atlargenutrition.com/nutrition_detail.php?products_id=1

Shoot for 1.5 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight.

ehubbard
08-28-2008, 03:27 PM
It's AN apple a day, not apples a day.

Replace one of those apples with a Double Quarter Pounder, Fries and a Shake.

McLaughlin
08-28-2008, 04:41 PM
jAy_Dub - I will look into this protein, I've been thinking about it but I don't have a ton of money at the moment. In a month or two I'll be in a better position to buy some supplements.

ehubbard - I would like to do that, but don't have a lot of money, apples are relatively inexpensive. I'll see about eating double cheese burgers or something, since they're only .99 but even that will add up after a while.

The diet listed above is about $50/55 per week in food, which seems like a lot to me, but maybe it's not?

Also had a question about 100% whey protein... I found some out in the shed that expired in march... how bad is it after it expires? I had some tonight after my workout and it was clumpy but other than that seemed the same... maybe its potency goes down after expiration?

Thanks for all the advice guys I will find a way to make these things work if that's what I need to do to get big.

Edit:
Just took a look at Nitrean + Opticen... seems like that combo is commonly recommended, Nitrean before and Opticen afterwards right? Also added a couple fish oils to the cart. Total is like 152.xx or so. I don't think I'll be able to swing it next Friday (payday) so it may have to wait until Sept 19th... unless of course I can sell my system (2 subs box & amp) between now and then :D Just gotta get some real offers on craigslist instead of the trashy scams that are infesting it.

As for the diet itself I'm going to try and find ways to pump it up, maybe go out at lunch and get a dbl cheese burger or something.

Bendthe Bar
08-29-2008, 04:58 AM
Mc,

Drink 500mls of whole milk 4 times throughout the day. And have the last one just before bed. You are consuming very little protein at the minute.

Buy a few kilos of ground beef and make your own burger patties.

Make your own protein shakes for mornings and pre workout.

Try,
1 banana
250g Cottage cheese
1/2 cup oats
250-500 mls whole milk
1tbs skippy

These are just a few cost effective ideas. remember to get at least 1g of protein per pound of bodyweight. For you thats at least 170gs ......obviously:)

McLaughlin
08-29-2008, 06:17 AM
Mc,

Drink 500mls of whole milk 4 times throughout the day. And have the last one just before bed. You are consuming very little protein at the minute.

Buy a few kilos of ground beef and make your own burger patties.

Make your own protein shakes for mornings and pre workout.

Try,
1 banana
250g Cottage cheese
1/2 cup oats
250-500 mls whole milk
1tbs skippy

These are just a few cost effective ideas. remember to get at least 1g of protein per pound of bodyweight. For you thats at least 170gs ......obviously:)

Thank you for the advices. I will look into the costs of whole milk and see about getting some regularly. Also I've taken to mixing evaporated milk with regular milk to add protein and calories... not sure if anyone else has done this, but I think it's a good idea.

I'll also look into getting some ground beef. I've been talking with my mother about it and she doesn't really like the idea, but if I was paying for it she shouldn't care.

I'll work on making shakes more, I've made two in the past, usually with Milk + Plain Yogurt + PB + Banana. I really like oats, but not cottage cheese so much... I never really thought of how much protein I'm taking in, I'll work on getting more into the diet.

Thanks again for the advice.