PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Here Ever Thought Of Using The Hook Grip? Watch

SGT ROCK
08-28-2008, 06:28 PM
Firstly, Ano is a SUPER nice guy and absolutely someone I respect and admire. He posted a vid of his bicep injury, it is not for the feint of heart! Just when I ALMOST considered giving up on the hook grip. I wish Ano a very speedy recovery, he is one of the best EVER.

Semper Fi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SW6dTdSnDtU

Lones Green
08-28-2008, 06:32 PM
i posted that video in my log. pretty gruesome, you can see it roll up.

i think the hook grip is the way to go, if you can deadlift that way. its a lot of pain, but much safter. (because of instances like Ano's video) and you can keep the bar closer to your body. i messed around with it awhile back, once i get to 405 i have to quit. if i forced myself to train it, maybe.

Ano is an awesome lifter! his deadlift is nuts.

chris mason
08-28-2008, 06:35 PM
Lol, I can't watch it! I know I will get paranoid...

KarstenDD
08-28-2008, 06:38 PM

Seriously, thats a wise choice.

Lones Green
08-28-2008, 06:38 PM

it made me want to go do bicep curls so i don't do it to mine hahaha

maybe i'll just get on the greg valentino program

Lones Green
08-28-2008, 06:39 PM
oh and Chris i thought you pulled hook grip?

maybe i'm wrong, but i remember a thread awhile back where you were talking about it.

Travis Bell
08-28-2008, 06:52 PM
with what he did to his hand on Monday he won't be pulling much for this week at least LOL

chris mason
08-28-2008, 06:58 PM
Lol, I switched back to a mixed grip and have done 2 sessions that way (my first 2 heavy conventional deads since I hurt my back). On Monday at Westside I tried to pull 645 lbs and it wasn't happening (no drive off the floor). I didn't feel a grip problem, but because I have pulled hook for so long the hand I am using an under grip with for the the mixed grip (my right) had lost the necessary callous for said mixed grip was no longer there and I pulled a nice chunk of skin away. I think I will be moving back to the hook...:)

Ben Moore
08-28-2008, 07:31 PM
Seriously that video is messed up - I've never seen one roll up that fast...

youngguns
08-28-2008, 07:53 PM
i cant watch it. my hands are too sweaty to keep hook grip, and i work out in a commerical gym (sigh) that has a no chalk policy.

Lones Green
08-29-2008, 03:18 AM
i cant watch it. my hands are too sweaty to keep hook grip, and i work out in a commerical gym (sigh) that has a no chalk policy.

check out APT's website. they have some liquid chalk that leaves no mess. its not as effective as regular chalk, but it might be good to have for a few max effort attempts.

johnst_nhb
08-29-2008, 10:11 AM
Can someone explain the different grips for the deadlift and the advantages/disadvantages of them? I have always used the mixed grip (alternating). Never really even thought of using another.

Thanks,

j

Brad08
08-29-2008, 10:19 AM
Can someone explain the different grips for the deadlift and the advantages/disadvantages of them? I have always used the mixed grip (alternating). Never really even thought of using another.

Thanks,

j

the video pretty much explains the advantages/disadvantages

deeder
08-29-2008, 11:12 AM
Mixed grip - very strong, as we saw, chance of injuring bicep.

Hook grip - hurts like a mofo.

youngguns
08-29-2008, 01:25 PM
check out APT's website. they have some liquid chalk that leaves no mess. its not as effective as regular chalk, but it might be good to have for a few max effort attempts.

ill have to check it out, thanks.

ryuage
08-29-2008, 01:41 PM
i'm a panzy... hook grip hurts my thumbs :D

and it just feels odd

Ben Moore
08-29-2008, 02:16 PM
Long ago I worked up to a 600 pull with a hook. Then I decided it hurt, and I stopped, LOL

SGT ROCK
08-29-2008, 02:56 PM
The hook grip eliminates the chance of a bicep rupture, and lessens the distance you have to pull the weight. It hurst at first but you can get used to it.

Semper Fi

Lones Green
08-29-2008, 03:06 PM
Long ago I worked up to a 600 pull with a hook. Then I decided it hurt, and I stopped, LOL

jesus Ben. i messed around with it awhile back, and i was able to stay so tight. kept the bar very close to my body.

deeder
08-29-2008, 03:55 PM
I've been experimenting with hook grip a little bit while doing cleans and shrugs. I haven't tried it for a deadlift day yet...