PDA

View Full Version : Question About the Bench press

Erik 23
08-28-2008, 08:31 PM
I recently noticed guys like Ryan kennelly, dont lift there heads when there benching why is that? is that a form of staying tight?

I always thought you were supposed to watch the bar descend but i noticed him and a few other lifters dont do it is there any benefit from this or is it just certain lifters training styles?

Also Does wearing a belt have any benefit for most lifters? does it help you keep a better arch or help you keep your air?Can you get better drive thru your legs do to maybe a better arch? what does wearing a belt really benefit?
Thanx for the responses.

jbrin0tk
08-28-2008, 08:51 PM
Hey, Erik, here is a thread I started awhile back about benching with a belt. A lot of the big boys on here weighed in with some pretty good viewpoints. I hope it helps you out, man.

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=110442&highlight=benching+belt

Eric Downey
08-28-2008, 09:04 PM
I recently noticed guys like Ryan kennelly, dont lift there heads when there benching why is that? is that a form of staying tight?

I always thought you were supposed to watch the bar descend but i noticed him and a few other lifters dont do it is there any benefit from this or is it just certain lifters training styles?

Also Does wearing a belt have any benefit for most lifters? does it help you keep a better arch or help you keep your air?Can you get better drive thru your legs do to maybe a better arch? what does wearing a belt really benefit?
Thanx for the responses.

I dont lift my head b/c when i do i flatten out.
I wear a bench belt with the back is thinner and i can get a bigger arch. Trust me I need all the help I can get.

Erik 23
08-28-2008, 09:07 PM
Hey, Erik, here is a thread I started awhile back about benching with a belt. A lot of the big boys on here weighed in with some pretty good viewpoints. I hope it helps you out, man.

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=110442&highlight=benching+belt

Thanx I think that post just answered my question about the Belt Lol theres a lot of views on the issue. i only thought of trying it cause i thought maybe it might help me stay tighter better arch etc..

Erik 23
08-28-2008, 09:12 PM
I dont lift my head b/c when i do i flatten out.
I wear a bench belt with the back is thinner and i can get a bigger arch. Trust me I need all the help I can get.
Ok i see but dosent it make it harder for you to hit your groove or do you just know where its at with out really having to raise your head.

Cause i thought you watch the bar to hit that groove just right. I can see how it flattens you out though i was thinking of trying to not lift my head when i bench next time and see if i can keep a better arch.

I can see where the belt helps also i dont currently bench with one just something i was wondering about cause some lifters use it and some dont thanx for the reply.

perksy
08-28-2008, 09:52 PM
I am not allowd to lift my head in comp, IPF rules, but the stange thing is since I have put on a shirt, it seems to naturally want to come up? Just got to force it down and tuck my chin in I guess.

vdizenzo
08-29-2008, 05:18 AM
I don't lift my head. It can flatten me out. I wear a belt when I bench to hold my bench shirt down when equipped. I wear one without the shirt as well for core stability.

Barbaccio
08-29-2008, 06:59 AM
It's a personal option you need to decide by how well it works for you. Vinnie doesn't lift his. I lift mine. Then again, our setups are very different as are our body types. I get alot of leg drive and am able to push my heels down hard to keep my arch up while lifting my head. My shoulders are rolled unde me enough to keep me from sliding. Just figure out what works best for you. There is no right or wrong way, only a way that works and a way that doesn't.

Darracq
08-29-2008, 01:18 PM
I dont lift my head, you will get used to the grove and you dont need to look what your doing, the belt mostly just hold the shirt from sliding up and loosing tension in the shirt.

Travis Bell
08-29-2008, 01:19 PM
Erik doesn't wear a shirt to my knowledge which is why I"m a little confused

Erik 23
08-29-2008, 02:51 PM
I dont lift my head, you will get used to the grove and you dont need to look what your doing, the belt mostly just hold the shirt from sliding up and loosing tension in the shirt.
Thanx

I don't lift my head. It can flatten me out. I wear a belt when I bench to hold my bench shirt down when equipped. I wear one without the shirt as well for core stability.
Thanx vince

It's a personal option you need to decide by how well it works for you. Vinnie doesn't lift his. I lift mine. Then again, our setups are very different as are our body types. I get alot of leg drive and am able to push my heels down hard to keep my arch up while lifting my head. My shoulders are rolled unde me enough to keep me from sliding. Just figure out what works best for you. There is no right or wrong way, only a way that works and a way that doesn't.
Thanx for the response

Erik doesn't wear a shirt to my knowledge which is why I"m a little confused
Yeah Travis i dont wear a shirt i was just asking questions on this cause i was looking at videos of Ryan Kennelly And i noticed he didnt raise his head When he benched.

So i was wondering Why was that?If it allowed him to keep a better arch, Stay tighter and not flatten out or what.

And for the belt i just wanted to hear from people that do use it like yourself cause some people from what i read says it gives them better position on the bench stay tighter etc.. i just want to know if it helps add any pounds to the lift, by keeping you tight or maybe put you in a better position for better leg drive i guess.

But yeah i meant to clarify that i dont need it for a shirt just wanted to know from some of you guys if it might help for form and core stability like Vince said and added Weight to my lifts Thanx for the response.